JH Audio JH-3A
Aug 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #856 of 2,681

Quote:

Very interesting. I am currently determining how to raise funds to purchase the JH3A. Will likely mean selling off a bunch of portable gear but I think in the long run it will be worth it to me. 

I am concerned however about hearing the person working with Jerry on the project left and the delay to late Sept.  I am honestly wondering if 1) it is more complicated than initially believed and will it actually be able to exist in production vs. the laptop assisted version at canjam and 2) if the main developer left, what does this mean for the software updates and further enhancements that were previously suggested?

Do we know for a fact that the person working with Jerry has left the project? If this is true then you and the rest of us have valid concerns. (Those of us who have placed orders maybe even more so).

Quote:
It has been confirmed by jh audio (Brittany herself) that the release date has been delayed to late september.  
Why else would Jh audio allow daniel's comment on their facebook to remain without correction if it were not true.  
But I will say, JH Audio is being very hush about it. They will confirm the delay when asked but they are not making a public announcement about it. 

From the beginning I thought the early September release date was a little optimistic. Considering they did not have a fully operational unit at CanJam.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #857 of 2,681
I spoke to Brittany today on the phone, but did ask if I don't want to pay extra to get my IEM back from refit,when will it be back with JH-3A, she said in a couple of weeks.  So, the wait might not be that long.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #858 of 2,681

Quote:
i hate to belabor this point, but it has been brought up too many times on the forum in the last couple weeks, the HM-801 does not have a digital output, it has several digital inputs, which include Coax and USB. the only outputs are the lineout(which is very good, its using dual pcm1704 dacs) and the headphone out. the sflo2 also does not have digital output, it only has a lineout 1/8in jack and the headphone 1/8 in jack.

Yes I agree with you, my mistake.  Shall we argue about something else?  :)

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #859 of 2,681
After spending time with the Hifiman HM- 801 with the GAME amp module and having heard the JH3A first hand I have decided to order a Meier Audio Stepdance amp and hold onto my 1100.00 (for now). Having owned most of the portable amps in Skylabs top 10 and reading his review of the Meier amp, I think it will be the deal of the year. But for now the 801 rivals anything that I have heard in the portable realm already. (24/96 files).

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #862 of 2,681
Can someone please chime in here:

Would the overall sonic accuracy degrade with the HM-801 acting as the first order DAC and then having the JH-3A separate the signal and amplify it?

I think the answer is yes based on the principle of least nodes in the chain of heavy metal reproduction awesomeness.

Right?  Or is it worth still allowing the high quality DACs in the HM-801 do its thing and use the line-out.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #863 of 2,681
@Trogdor

Would it even matter? At that level, the sonic reproduction is so near perfect I'd wager $50 you couldn't detect it in a double blind beyond 2 standard deviations 
tongue.gif

IIRC the JH3A will convert back to digital before processing, so theoretically yes, feed it digital if you can. But in the end, you won't hear the difference anyway.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #864 of 2,681
Modifying Trogdors question a bit and ignoring the hypothetical same DACs before and after the ADC scenario, where we can talk about bit-perfection, the use of a superior DAC before the ADC step (given a clean ADC step and even a secondary DAC bottleneck - if deemed to be so), could be noticeable and flavoring preferred, no? And even more so in a transparent ADC/non-bottleneck secondary DAC stage? Will be curious of real-world use scenarios - JH3a to JH13/16 v. DA11/DAC1/m902/etc. to JH3a to JH13/16. Anyone planning the latter? 

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #865 of 2,681
I believe that if you have taken people's money in advance, and the release is going to be later than originally estimated, then a simple e-mail (or phone call) to all
who have invested, is in order. 

Why should it be hush, hush??? 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #866 of 2,681

I expected a little more or better from JH with their well known customer service history.  But I'm not bent out of shape about it. But if there's another delay, I just might be.  

Quote:
I believe that if you have taken people's money in advance, and the release is going to be later than originally estimated, then a simple e-mail (or phone call) to all
who have invested, is in order. 

Why should it be hush, hush??? 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #867 of 2,681

Quote:
Modifying Trogdors question a bit and ignoring the hypothetical same DACs before and after the ADC scenario, where we can talk about bit-perfection, the use of a superior DAC before the ADC step (given a clean ADC step and even a secondary DAC bottleneck - if deemed to be so), could be noticeable and flavoring preferred, no? And even more so in a transparent ADC/non-bottleneck secondary DAC stage? Will be curious of real-world use scenarios - JH3a to JH13/16 v. DA11/DAC1/m902/etc. to JH3a to JH13/16. Anyone planning the latter? 

That's exactly what I asked...

I am planning actually:

M2Tech HiFace->JH-3A->JH-16P

M2Tech HiFace->HM-801->JH-3A->JH-16P

USB->JH-3A->JH-16P

USB->HM-801 just sucks (no offense).

Its probably a bit pedantic and I actually believe there might not be much of a sonic difference.  I just had thought that if I reclock the signal using a superior DAC I may gain some real quantifiable sonic benefits feeding the JH-3A (my guess is its FOCUS will not be jitter correction).

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #868 of 2,681

Quote:
That's exactly what I asked...

I am planning actually:

M2Tech HiFace->JH-3A->JH-16P

M2Tech HiFace->HM-801->JH-3A->JH-16P

USB->JH-3A->JH-16P

USB->HM-801 just sucks (no offense).

Its probably a bit pedantic and I actually believe there might not be much of a sonic difference.  I just had thought that if I reclock the signal using a superior DAC I may gain some real quantifiable sonic benefits feeding the JH-3A (my guess is its FOCUS will not be jitter correction).

i dont mean to say you shouldnt try it, but there would be almost no way that going through the HM801 would help the audio quality. Starting with a digital signal is the best means to feed the 3A. the main reason i would say has to do with phase distortions. going through the dacs in the hifiman and coming out analog will produce their own phase errors, which going into the 3A, it will only be able to correct the phase to that it sounds exactly like the input signal, which would include the phase errors on the analog output of the hifiman. whereas going in with digital, digital would have the perfect phase data coming off the cd, which the DSP would then correct the output too.

and that doesnt even include the fact that you would be going through an additional DA/AD stage completely needlessly.

also your statement about reclocking, the reason why people speak so highly of the hiface is because of its awesome clocks, and because it runs in async using those clocks, so it already has extremely low jitter.

though as i said at the beginning you're more than willing to try it out and let us know 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #870 of 2,681

Quote:
i dont mean to say you shouldnt try it, but there would be almost no way that going through the HM801 would help the audio quality. Starting with a digital signal is the best means to feed the 3A. the main reason i would say has to do with phase distortions. going through the dacs in the hifiman and coming out analog will produce their own phase errors, which going into the 3A, it will only be able to correct the phase to that it sounds exactly like the input signal, which would include the phase errors on the analog output of the hifiman. whereas going in with digital, digital would have the perfect phase data coming off the cd, which the DSP would then correct the output too.

and that doesnt even include the fact that you would be going through an additional DA/AD stage completely needlessly.

also your statement about reclocking, the reason why people speak so highly of the hiface is because of its awesome clocks, and because it runs in async using those clocks, so it already has extremely low jitter.

though as i said at the beginning you're more than willing to try it out and let us know 
biggrin.gif

You are probably correct.  At least it should be that way.  I suppose the best is

MacBookPro->digital out->JH-3A->JH-16P

I like the roll-off filters of the HM-801 but I suppose since its going to be filtered anyway via the JH-3A....it will be if anything detrimental.

I suppose I don't even need the Hiface....

I agree with Mr Biker if they delay any further.  From what Brittany says, the project is 98% done so I don't think we will see too much delay.  I suspect 2nd week of September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back