JH Audio JH-3A
Jan 6, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,771 of 2,681
I believe that's correct for the async dac's (i.e, need the drivers for 24/176 or 24/192).  However, I'd be surprised (very pleasantly!! and fingers crossed) if they had an asynchronous DAC given there seem to be only a small handful of folks with the technology that license it out to other DAC manufacturers (i.e., Wavelength, dCS, M2Tech and maybe one or two others?) and charge a decent fee for it.  Would have guessed we would have heard about it before now if that was the case, but guess we'll all know soon enough.  Still, have to imagine an adaptive mode usb implementation would still outperform an ipad dock output to the analog input in a portable setting (for desktop listening/applications SPDIF would no doubt be the best connection) but worth comparing with a HiFace in the chain from the iPad usb out.

Quote:

I think you need drivers only when you are going to 24/196. You have many dacs with asynchronous input and they are just plug and play.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,772 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
Are there final dimensions of the amp/dac box? 

Not sure if this is necessarily "final", but back on 10/20/2010 Zac told me the following when I asked him exactly the same question.   To four places of decimal (roughly????) this is what he quoted me: The dimensions are roughly 4.7755 (L) x 3.1743 (W) x 1.1736 (H).

I posted this somewhere before. but not sure where.  If you need a definitive final answer, I suggest emailing Zac or anyone at JH Audio.

Thanks. I asked on their facebook page too but they told me my JH16s were shipping already. Alas I got the UPS notification about an hour later :frowning2:

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #1,774 of 2,681

Quote:
Is JH Audio at CES?  I don't see them in the exhibitor database.

yes they are attending but Jerry is in Florida wrapping up the 3a project
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,775 of 2,681
In case there's any lingering doubt, received email from Jaime:

"The spdif will have a mini jack."

And I'm #21.

Nuwidol, you can always upgrade later (though a bit more expensive), no? May be worth it, to find out how much of a jump the 3A brings.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,776 of 2,681
Looking forward to hearing just how amazingly superific this thing is going to be.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,777 of 2,681
Mini jack spdif? Yuk. Yet another adaptive cable. Would have been way mire universal just to go with RCA spdif like the Solo.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,778 of 2,681

Quote:

And I'm #21.

Nuwidol, you can always upgrade later (though a bit more expensive), no? May be worth it, to find out how much of a jump the 3A brings.

I think I'm 23.

Just to be clear, with the MBP I could use this:

Belden 1505F Digital Audio Cable

MBP digital audio out 1/8: mini to 1/8 mini directly to the JH3A?  Right?

That would be fantastic for me.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,779 of 2,681
I don't use a MBP but that seems right.  I have that cable, but with RCA connectors on both ends--very solid cable for the price.

I think the fact that the JH3A's input is a conventional 1/8" but with S/PDIF capability was known from the moment this thing was announced.  I know it's been a long time since then, but there were never any indications that it would be otherwise.  And I actually think that a mini SPDIF input is more useful than a RCA, especially in this case since the mini input can be used for normal analog outputs from DACs.  Most of us would probably use a portable player with the 3A, almost all of which (HM-801, iPod, etc) use a mini output.

Eagerly awaiting impressions...but I'm slowly coming to the realization that I want to get my JH16's revamped into the 3A combo.  I was reluctant at first, since it's nice to have the option to use my 16s in an ultraportable setup (like the headphone out of a Sansa Clip), but then I realized that the headphone outs of most DAPs just don't suit the JH16 well at all.  Either there is loud hissing, or the gain is way too high for sensitive customs, so some kind of amp seems necessary just for attenuation.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,780 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:

And I'm #21.

I think I'm 23.

I think Macbook(I hope MBP is macbook pro) have only optical spdif, so you need optical cable. Belden 1505 is coaxial cable. And Jh-3a dont have optical input.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #1,781 of 2,681

Sorry I'm confused.
I thought MBP only had usb and toslink optical digital out?
Does the MBP also accept mini coaxial cable?  
Quote:

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,782 of 2,681
Yeah, and the JH3A don't have optical in so no go

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #1,784 of 2,681
Yea, I thought most of this was ironed out a long time ago. Recently confirmed USB input/rate limitation and coax jack.

MB: USB, SPDIF optical (aka TOSlink) in dual mini with analog out, analog out.
MBP: USB, SPDIF optical (aka TOSlink) in dual mini with analog out, analog out.
MBA: USB, mini analog out.

JH3A: SPDIF coax mini which may or may not be shared with analog in, mini analog in.

INTERFACE BETWEEN TWO: 16-bit USB or 16/24-bit through various optical-coax or USB-coax adapters/processors.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,785 of 2,681

Quote:

That is definitely something to consider. I got the JH16 on the black Friday deal with 15% off, so the extra to upgrade to the 3A wouldn't be far off the full retail price any way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back