JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #9,736 of 10,743
  The only real "fault" I found with  JH13 was a lack or void of midbass.  You have this massive deep extending sub bass but then there is a void all the way up to the midrange.  Yes, it is intentional to add to the transparency but I found it a little off sounding.  The JH16 fills in the absent midbass yet still has tons of clarity and transparency.  It's just not off the charts like with JH13.  Great IEM though.  More unique sounding than JH16.  Sort of like JH5, JH16 and even my W3 are the same family type of sound sig but JH13 is a whole different beast.

What I found with the JH16FP was it had too much midbass. Like off the charts mid bass that bothered me a lot after many many hours. It was relentless on female vocals. I'm going to get the JH13FP in soon so hopefully that'll ease up my ears a bit.
I guess some people like the mid bass and some don't.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #9,737 of 10,743
Does JH still sell the original version of the JH-13, or do all JH-13s now come with FreqPhase?  Also, are there any other differences from the original (design, cable, etc.)?

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #9,738 of 10,743
  Does JH still sell the original version of the JH-13, or do all JH-13s now come with FreqPhase?  Also, are there any other differences from the original (design, cable, etc.)?

I believe all JH13 and JH16 being produced now come with FreqPhase by default. Maybe you could ask them to leave the FreqPhase out... but why would you? 
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #9,739 of 10,743
 *photos snipped
  I thought they had a hair too much midbass when new followed by it being pretty neutral in that range after run in. To me, they sound like there's a bit extra low bass once settled in.

I personally don't fully agree with the accudio target curve which is the black line in this es5 graph. 

Accudio is also using a pre freq phase as their model (released with that curve in Aug 2012) and we don't know where sourced since Golden ear has never reviewed it though I did see a contributed graph from a member that shows a bump centered at around 60hz..

Here's an uncompensated curve of the jh13pro (again, pre freq phase)
Thes will vary by who does them etc but you'll never find one where the bass isn't rising below 125hz.
Here's another of the old jh13 (red line and compensated). Notice the high frequency coupling peak is at a different frequency so all need to be taken with a grain. FP should be smoother on top.

None of that makes a different opinion of it's bass character wrong as it's a bugger in IEMs since flat isn't flat sounding and even technical results will be dependent on opinion derived compensation curves.

I can assure my set is not neutral in bass.  5+ db's of boost is close to what I hear across the entire bass range; so I hear it as flat from 200+ or so down until about 50hz, then it very slowly rolls off (meaning it is not a drop off and is still boosted over neutral).

I also hear a slight dip a 3k but not as large as the compensated GE graph. The 10k spike is smaller on the JH13 than on the UERM.  I would run screaming if it sounding anything like that middle graph with 12 db's of sub bass boost and 10 db's of 10hz boost.

My point being there is no hole in the mid bass of my set, nor was their one in the demo I heard (both FP).  Those are the only two sets I can speak to.  Also I don't really agree with GE's compensation methods, plus it seems they smooth their graphs too much.  Rins are more accurate to my ears but unfortunately he hasn't measured a JH13.

FWIW, I don't really like any of the accudio curves alone- all that I have tried sound brighter than neutral.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #9,740 of 10,743
I agree about accudio in general. Didn't care for it with anything I tried it with.

Mine were a bit warm when new and before I got my fit. When I first got them the high bores weren't exactly blocked but were dampened by my ear geometry. I don't feel that they're midbass heavy once run in as that's the part that did change the most for me and the emphasis shifted down. Running them hard helps here, I think. I also never felt that there's a lack of midbass. I think what some hear is that the midbass is below the low bass and therefore think it may be lacking. Not my view either as I think there's just enough for a smooth transition. If it's a hair high which it may be as an independent absolute, it's certainly not as high as the low bass and connects the mids well. I think less would sound worse, for me.

Again, it's just my opinion and no more valid than yours. Never implied otherwise.
smile.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #9,741 of 10,743

What I found with the JH16FP was it had too much midbass. Like off the charts mid bass that bothered me a lot after many many hours. It was relentless on female vocals. I'm going to get the JH13FP in soon so hopefully that'll ease up my ears a bit.
I guess some people like the mid bass and some don't.

Pretty much how I feel and I'd say too much bass in general. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #9,743 of 10,743
It's funny actually. I know the JH13 has plenty of bass but after coming from the V6 Stage I had to take some time to adjust since I felt there wasn't enough sub bass after coming from that ciem. As bar as bass level the V6 Stage is probably the most I would want before it gets too much. It isn't as much as the JH16 demo I heard but still more than enough for me.

So far from what I've heard the UERM I have is much closer to my signature preference than the JH13 but both are very good. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #9,744 of 10,743
I started playing with eq today, to get a little better/more neutralish response from my JH13. I thought I'd share it for feedback or to solicit other's eq's that might do a better job of bringing it closer to neutral but maintaining a little sub bass bump.

100hz, Q=.4, -3db
3k, Q=1, +2db
9.5k, Q=2, -3db

Tweaked my EQ a bit to be more subtle.  Basically it keeps the overall JH13 flavor and gives me a bit less warmth (or more clarity if you will) and takes just enough away from the 9.6 to 9.7k peak for my tastes.

125hz, Q.35, -2.5db
3k, Q1, +2db
9.6k, Q3, -2db

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #9,745 of 10,743
So I have contacted JH Audio for a refit. My right monitor is slightly off. I'm hoping the process for this doesn't take too long as my V6 Stage is also out for a refit. My right ear must be off since that's always the ear I have issues with. Maybe I'll get a ES5 next time with their soft vinyl tips. Thankfully I have my UERM :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #9,746 of 10,743
The JH13pro FP has always been on my radar.  Page 28 on the December edition of Popular Science has the JH13pro FP titled "The Clearest Earphones".  I'm sure there are many folks waiting for that certain date that's approaching fast.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #9,750 of 10,743
I bet Roxanne had not discount like what they did previously? No discount to 3A.. I'm didn't try discount for my Roxanne :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back