JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #9,529 of 10,747
Yep, got my FedEx tracking number from JH. I've had some trouble with them lately just coming to the front of our building and slapping a tag on the door (happened today, in fact). So I'm having the package held at FedEx tomorrow rather than risk them doing a drive-by and not getting them until Wednesday. 

Fingers crossed for good luck with FedEx and a proper fit. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #9,530 of 10,747
  The pin connectors on my JH13s are loose due to A/Bing between cables :frowning2:. It would kill me to part with them again. 
Does anyone know a quick fix for loose connectors? 
frown.gif

Get a set of pliers and slightly pinch the tips of the pins. Not too much though and this should flatten them enough to get good grip. Bending the pins will eventually lead to the cable failing and possibly breaking inside the IEM housing. I use to bend the pins as a quick fix and that's what eventually came of it....

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #9,531 of 10,747

Get a set of pliers and slightly pinch the tips of the pins. Not too much though and this should flatten them enough to get good grip. Bending the pins will eventually lead to the cable failing and possibly breaking inside the IEM housing. I use to bend the pins as a quick fix and that's what eventually came of it....

Cable failure. Oh man. Guess I'm returning my 13s again, as I expect the whiplash v3 hybrid to last me at least a year or two. Thanks for the advice though.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #9,532 of 10,747

Great tip, never thought of this!

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #9,533 of 10,747

Cable failure. Oh man. Guess I'm returning my 13s again, as I expect the whiplash v3 hybrid to last me at least a year or two. Thanks for the advice though.

I mentioned how you can solve this without having to send the JH13s back. Just you cannot be constantly changing out cables. You are actually wearing out the cable sockets by doing this. Since most CIEMs have a non-recessed design it depends on the cable socket itself to hold the cable in place (very poor design if you ask me). So if possible never remove the cable from its housing. The more you do the looser it will get until it won't be able to hold the cable in place reliably. As I said above to help solve this you can slightly pinch the tip of the cable pins using pliers. Not too much though as you don't want to break the cable pins. What this should do is allow for the pins to grip your CIEMs and stay in place. I had to do this with my Heir 8As even. Mind you they were brand new even and I had this bs issue.

Great tip, never thought of this!

No problem just sharing information that was previously posted on the Heir thread.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #9,534 of 10,747
Questions I really shouldn't ask...

Are the JH13/16 good IEMs or good headphones?

Are the GoldenEar measurements accurate?  Ie uncorrected, as advertised, but corrected upper mid suck out and treble spike?

Considering going to a singular headphone for home and mobile.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #9,535 of 10,747
  Questions I really should ask...

Are the GoldenEar measurements accurate?  Ie uncorrected, as advertised, but corrected upper mid suck out and treble spike?

I will say this, if I had to pick a single headphone to use at home/at work/on the go, it would unequivocally be the FP JH-13s with no hesitation. And purely based on sound quality there is a rather small list of full sized cans i would be able to say with certainty are better, the 009s being it. The rest(eg, hd800s, LCD-3, HE-6) I would need more consideration and time to compare.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #9,536 of 10,747

I have three CIEMs

The FitEar MH335DW, the UE PRM, and the JH13Pro FP

All of them are amazing, but the JH13 is what I reach out to first on the go :)

And sometimes even at home, but usually that's the Abyss I reach out for :p

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #9,538 of 10,747
I impulse bought the JH13 yesterday at my audiologist's office when I was getting impressions for another custom. I'll have the weekend or so to choose colors and such. I was told around 30 days so but I have the UERM to play around until then. I've always wanted to own a JH13 so pretty excited for when this arrives.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #9,539 of 10,747

I've had the HD800 since January of this year.. and have had the JH13 for a little over three months.  I use both phones daily.. and drive them with excellent upstream (portable & desktop) DACs/amps.  I love the HD800.. and never thought I'd sell it.. but, I did just that a few days ago.  While the JH13's signature is comparatively warmer than the HD800's near flat tuning, the JH13's technical ability gets me oh-so-close, if not on par with, the HD800 in many areas.  It's the first IEM I've heard that let me part with the HD800.

Sure, toss a $3K in DACs and amps at the HD800.. and it'll leave any IEM (and practically any headphone) in the dust.. but that's just not all that practical (or cost effective) for me.  I love being able to have terrific isolation w/o sacrificing soundstage and a 'big, open' sound with the JH13.  It isn't as open as the HD800 (hell, what is?), but it's more open than any IEM I've heard (outside the UERM)... and more importantly, it's open enough for me (and I consider myself a bit of a "soundstage junkie").

I haven't seen the GE measurements on the JH13 (was it the original or the FreqPhase version?), so I can't comment on that.  What I can tell you is that if I could only keep one headphone out of all the ones I've owned.. it would be the JH13Pro FP.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #9,540 of 10,747

Have you had a CIEM before?

Amped or unamped? Hopefully via a capable DAP?

What kind of sound are you looking for? (Explain with full sized gears)

I would also not discount the JH16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back