JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #9,361 of 10,743
Quote:
I've had the JH13 for a little over a month and couldn't be happier with them.  Some qualities that have continually impressed me:

Transparency - The JH13 do lean slightly to the warm side of neutral.. but they're more transparent of recording quality than any IEM (custom or otherwise) I've heard.  While they don't ruthlessly serve up the unsavory aspects of poorly recorded material.. they do let you, very clearly, hear the lack of dynamics, imbalanced tonal qualities, and poor soundstage of poorly mastered audio.  They're a lot like the T50RP Paradox in this respect: very revealing, but not grating or clinical in presentation.

Cohesion - I've completely forgotten this is a multi-driver, BA-based IEM.  All six drivers (and the crossovers) work in a remarkably harmonious, unified manner.  The smooth nature of this phone isn't simply due to tuning, there's clearly more work that's been done here to maintain such an effortless, natural presentation.  It feels a lot like the HD800 in this respect.  A little difficult for me to describe, but the JH13 sounds very much like a very advanced dynamic driver.. that isn't plagued by the problems that (typically) affect many dynamic drivers (lack of speed, clarity, distortion, etc.)

Soundstage - As I've spent more and more time with the JH13.. I've come to become stunned with the soundstage and imaging (particularly when the IEM is driven with dedicated upstream gear).  Again, it's better in this regard than any IEM I've owned... UM Miracle included.  It's incredibly precise, open, and well proportioned.  As a listener, I feel situated at the proper depth from the stage/performance.

Resolution -  Simply put, this phone is capable of resolving at HD800-levels, IMO.  Tonal reproduction is very natural, articulate.. and clearly TOTL.. it's ability to retrieve inner detail is phenomenal.  Unlike anything I've heard from another IEM.  It's resolving ability.. combined with the smooth signature, soundstaging, and driver cohesion make for a listening experience that feels extremely natural and realistic.  Obviously, dedicate upstream gear is required to squeeze out all the JH13 is capable of.. but I've been more than happy (and extremely impressed) using the JH13 with "just" my Galaxy S3.

It's difficult to quantifiably justify the (high) cost of the JH13, but after having had time to use it (daily, for at least three hours.. for the past month plus), I feel the money I spent on it is justified by the amount of pleasure (and value) I'm getting from it.  It's the last custom I envision buying for the foreseeable future.. and I find it extremely difficult to find any glaring faults with it... even in the face of a well-driven HD800, IMO.  I still plan to buy a universal IEM or two from time to time (i.e. I'm excited about VSonic's upcoming offerings).. but as far as customs go, it's going to take something extremely special to coax me to make another trip to the audiologist.

If you hear something a bit off, you need to look elsewhere in the chain. They're generally better that what you use them with without being too critical of poor sources. Their very even response and slightly added weight keeps them listenable. Detailed without being bright.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9,362 of 10,743
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you hear something a bit off, you need to look elsewhere in the chain. They're generally better that what you use them with without being too critical of poor sources. Their very even response and slightly added weight keeps them listenable. Detailed without being bright.

Yep.. I agree.. I tend to use the JH13 with my portable rig (ODAC & UHA-6S MKII) more than the Vio stack.. and I find that combo to be terrific.  This phone can go from bright and crisp.. to warm, thick, lush.. on a dime.. it all depends on your gear and source music quality.

I love the exceedingly transparent midrange.. smooth but wonderfully detailed treble.. and the bass quality is nothing short of jaw dropping.  It can go supremely deep.. remains extremely tight/quick.. and textures impeccably well.

In terms of quantity, I just couldn't imagine wanting more bass than the JH13 offers... and I LOVE me some bass.  Anything more and I'd think we'd be hearing a bass-centric sound (opposed to a neutral-centric sound w/ gently accentuated bass).. especially if JH keeps the treble tuning in tact.

I think that when a lot of people hear "neutral" bass..they (stereotypically) associate that with soft, thin, or light bass.  Neutral bass can be very impactful, quick, detailed and punchy.. just with needing to be "enhanced" or boosted.. that's what I've always looked for.. the JH13 (and some of my other phones) deliver that in spades.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #9,363 of 10,743
Quote:
Anybody have tips on how to handle the refit process? I can tell the seal in my right ear isn't as good, and that the fit in the ear canal isn't as tight, but it's harder to diagnose exactly why—it could be that the ear canal portion just isn't big enough, or it could be that some part outside of the ear canal isn keeping the earpiece from fitting deeply enough. 

The right earpiece seems perfect so far—it's just hard for me to figure out the source of the difference. 

Could try wrapping sellotape round the tip

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #9,364 of 10,743
Could try wrapping sellotape round the tip

I suspect that making the tips bigger would fix the seal, but the seal problem could be due to a fit problem in another part of the earpiece. But that's just my guess. I'm new to CIEMs.

Regardless, this is a good idea. Or maybe some blue-tac. I can play around with different fit alterations that way. Thanks!

Any other tips for diagnosing for issues and otherwise working with the refit process?

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #9,365 of 10,743
Quote:
Finally, after 3 days of pulling the cables...

Now.... Very very Happy

beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #9,366 of 10,743
Quote:
I suspect that making the tips bigger would fix the seal, but the seal problem could be due to a fit problem in another part of the earpiece. But that's just my guess. I'm new to CIEMs.

Regardless, this is a good idea. Or maybe some blue-tac. I can play around with different fit alterations that way. Thanks!

Any other tips for diagnosing for issues and otherwise working with the refit process?

for me personally, I don't really start having fit issues till I've worn them for an extended period of time.
Try wearing them straight for over an hour and see if you start getting any pain in any place in your outer ear or ear canal, that will help you pinpoint what areas are not fitting right.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #9,367 of 10,743
Quote:
for me personally, I don't really start having fit issues till I've worn them for an extended period of time.
Try wearing them straight for over an hour and see if you start getting any pain in any place in your outer ear or ear canal, that will help you pinpoint what areas are not fitting right.

Thank God mine isn't like that...

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #9,368 of 10,743
Quote:
Thank God mine isn't like that...

I'm also going to have them shorten the ear canals a bit, since the highs on my right ear get muffled and I have to twist out the earpiece very slightly to get proper sound out of them.

Anybody else ever had this issue before? Did you get your ciem's shorten? 

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #9,369 of 10,743
Anybody else ever had this issue before? Did you get your ciem's shorten? 

I got the tips on my customs shortened. It helped quite a bit.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #9,372 of 10,743
ime, compared to my Miracles, the jh is a bit tighter..my ears do produce wax after 10mins and is gradually. With the Miracles sometimes I lose a little bit of aeal whereas on the Jh from start to beginning is just the same.. but sometimes i also experience some pain especially when I fully clean my ears..

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #9,374 of 10,743
@ moseboy

I'm glad to hear you had a positive outcome. trying to pinpoint and describe any and all fit issues with the manufacturer is a bit nerve racking as you want to get it right and not be sending your ciems back and forth.

Exactly. Fortunately for me, my audiologist was able to grind down my ES5s on the spot, so I didn't have to send them in. That was really convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back