JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #8,956 of 10,743
Quote:
HDTracks probably have the largest available selection on the net today but there are many other places that also sell flac.
To play flac on iPhone you need an app like flacplayer.
Technically the same cd encoded to flac and alac should produce the same sound when played back since both formats are lossless but it does seem that both file format and playback software can make a difference to the sound

Yes, currently checking FLAC Player & Golden Ear.  

Looks like FLAC Player supports 24bit/96KHz but down converts to 16bit/48KHz.
Golden Ear supports 24bit/96KHz but I don't know if it down converts... sent a mail to developer to check on this....

Yes, that makes sense.... maybe the playback software was different... hence the difference.

It's not the apps that down converts but the iOs core rendering engine. The only way to get higher than 16/48 out of an iOs device is an iPad with camera connection kit and a supported usb dac

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #8,957 of 10,743
Quote:
It's not the apps that down converts but the iOs core rendering engine. The only way to get higher than 16/48 out of an iOs device is an iPad with camera connection kit and a supported usb dac

Is there a link to this "camera connection kit" so I can check it...

So really... unless you have 24bit/96kbps FLAC music there is no sense in having a USB DAC....

After ripping my CD to either WAV & Apple Loseless, file sizes were about 30MB... which are 16/48.... My understanding is that 24/96 flac files can be about 100MB.  So the next question... Is there a general consensus that you can hear the difference between 16/48 & 24/96 ?

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #8,959 of 10,743
In a portable senario i would usually not bother with 24 bit but at home it is worth it to me.  There are doubters over in sound science and there are those who hear the difference.  I personally have a flac player that supports 24 bit that i use at times, but not always.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #8,961 of 10,743
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I own the ES3X is it smart to invest another 1K$ over the 13?

Heh, if I have to justify my expenditures in this hobby/avocation/addiction with an ROI theory, I am already toast.

No, No!  keep it!  Invest in a "Mustang" or "Predator" amp rather, if you feel to! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #8,962 of 10,743
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey - HPA and Ed, I own then ES3X at the moment, and as you know I listen almost only to Classical music - would you recommend me to also get the JH-13? are they better for classical music?

Can you describe their sound signature in comperision? Are the 13 birhgter/warmer? flatter/less? smoother/less? more/less bassy? more/less transparent? more/less detailed? less/quicker?

If I own the ES3X is it smart to invest another 1K$ over the 13?

Dude, read from 1, and you'll get all answers needed!     
beerchug.gif
      No! Keep it! Invest in "Mustang" or "Shadow" amp rather!

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #8,963 of 10,743
I find the JH13 excellent for classical but have no idea if it is better than ESX3

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #8,965 of 10,743
Quote:

Is there a link to this "camera connection kit" so I can check it...

So really... unless you have 24bit/96kbps FLAC music there is no sense in having a USB DAC....

After ripping my CD to either WAV & Apple Loseless, file sizes were about 30MB... which are 16/48.... My understanding is that 24/96 flac files can be about 100MB.  So the next question... Is there a general consensus that you can hear the difference between 16/48 & 24/96 ?

Yes I can but you have to have trained ears, good equipment, and the differences are there.  But for a portable application, it is overkill to use 24/96 files.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #8,966 of 10,743
Hello,
I'm very disappointed with my experience with JH Audio, here is the story: I ordered a JH13 on May. After 5 refits they finally fit! But it was very hard to get what i want because of the after service by 2 times didn't do what I asked and/or the half I asked!!!! After that, there was (and still is) a right left balance issue. I sent my IEM for the 6th time and just get them back and still have the exactly same problem. It seems they just send my JH13 back to me without doing nothing. I'm very sorry to say that but as a buyer it's the worst experience of my life!  Every time I have to send 3 or 4 times the same e-mail to get an answer from them. Every time I shipped my IEMs back, they said to me it is just a matter of 1 or 2 days but every time it takes a week or so. And during all this problem there was although some cosmetics issues!
So now it's been half a year, I spend a lot of money on those, on shipment, on ear impressions and I still don't have a proper JH13!!! I'm sorry to say that but I still can't believe how unprofessional JH Audio is, and can't advise anyone to take a risk to do business with those people. It may sound hard but I can't take anymore and think it has to be said!

ps: excuse my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #8,967 of 10,743
Quote:
Hello,
I'm very disappointed with my experience with JH Audio, here is the story: I ordered a JH13 on May. After 5 refits they finally fit! But it was very hard to get what i want because of the after service by 2 times didn't do what I asked and/or the half I asked!!!! After that, there was (and still is) a right left balance issue. I sent my IEM for the 6th time and just get them back and still have the exactly same problem. It seems they just send my JH13 back to me without doing nothing. I'm very sorry to say that but as a buyer it's the worst experience of my life!  Every time I have to send 3 or 4 times the same e-mail to get an answer from them. Every time I shipped my IEMs back, they said to me it is just a matter of 1 or 2 days but every time it takes a week or so. And during all this problem there was although some cosmetics issues!
So now it's been half a year, I spend a lot of money on those, on shipment, on ear impressions and I still don't have a proper JH13!!! I'm sorry to say that but I still can't believe how unprofessional JH Audio is, and can't advise anyone to take a risk to do business with those people. It may sound hard but I can't take anymore and think it has to be said!

ps: excuse my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

really dissapointed to see that their service is still crap.i had an experiance similar to that a couple of years ago and as excellent and brilliant as the jh13 sound till now,i convinced myself to not buy from jh audio again.i paid 300$ for shipping because of problems from their part over and over again...

on another note,i think my stock cable  went bad because the right ear piece sound is cutting off completely when wiggling the cable.im going to order the blue dragon cable.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #8,968 of 10,743
I have no idea what the customer service is like now but it was top notch when I bought mine nearly 3 years ago. From sending my impressions til receiving the iem 4 weeks went by and they fit and worked perfectly first time round. And till today I have had no problem with them and continue enjoying them

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #8,970 of 10,743
Don't know about the latest generation but before that 16/48 was max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back