JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Apr 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #7,938 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who aren't from America and bough the jh13 was it declared to pass smoothly on the customs ?

That's a VERY good question.. I was thinking about getting either UE or JH customs at some point, but I'm in the UK and could do without paying an extra 17.5% PLUS customs fees..

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #7,939 of 10,743
Jh audio send them as free headphones sample and there is no paper with price in box, I didnt pay any taxes(Czech Republic).

Friends bought UE 4 and must pay taxes, because UE put normal price on box and also inside was recipt.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #7,940 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jh audio send them as free headphones sample and there is no paper with price in box, I didnt pay any taxes(Czech Republic).

Friends bought UE 4 and must pay taxes, because UE put normal price on box and also inside was recipt.

Thats great news !
But I just remember maybe that isn't something they want here exposed ?

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7,941 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol.

You know..I've been thinking guys. I've always thought my JH13's sounded rather...'jaded' coming from my X1050, I don't know why - the soundstage just feels collapsed, the music feels flat and the detail doesn't come through for me - well it does but only if I really think about it..its hard to explain.
When I demo'd them I was using my fuze and I was struck hard by all the things above. Well I gave away my fuze before my JH13's came.
today I plugged them into my onboard sound on my work computer for the first time and tbh it was a different IEM, 3D sound, detail was striking and the bass was extremely impactful - exactly how I remember the Fuze+JH13's to sound.
Plugging them into my SSMH gives the same kinda effect, a little bit on the warmer tubey side but still. Amping with my mini3 helps with the Sony but to me it just doesn't sound right....
Call me crazy but I'm seriously considering selling my X in the fs section and getting a Clip+ and a 16GB card instead - I'm going to listen to a work collegues Clip+ tomorrow to finally decide though...

I just put in an order for the S:Flo2 to use with the JH16's. They seem to be on another level compared to any ipod or sony player, even better then the Clip+ (which I may buy for running/gym).

If the hype is true, which it appears to be, then it's a steal for that price.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #7,942 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'll just get mine when I'm next in the USA.. safest way. Would also make it easier if a refit is needed.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #7,943 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a dream last night that I was getting p****d off with my JH13's because the right earpiece didn't fit properly and I was like must send them back then I remembered damn its gone 30 days. Then I woke up...phew

Actually you would have been alright because the 30 day thing is only what they say on the website but really they'll refit it for you anytime.

To quote zac (from the email he sent me after I said I won't be able to send it back during the 30 day period):
"Whenever you see fit, go ahead and mail in your 13’s in and we will fix them up for you."

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #7,944 of 10,743
So I just got my JH-13s 2 days ago.

First ear insertion went well, fit feels ok. I have to admit now that I did not have some mind blowing experience the 1st listen and, coming from Grado 325i, the feeling of something in my ear was unsettling.

I wanted to upgrade from the 325s for several reasons. While great HPs, they certainly do have significant coloration. A lot of music ends up sounding the "same" to me. They're fantastic with bass, though. I also wanted replacements for my portable HP, the Bang and Olufsen A8, which aren't so fantastic with bass and my airline HPs, the Able Planet noise canceling model. After listening to the Grados, the Able Planets, which I used to love, sounded horrible, with mushy bass and squashed range, like Bose.

So I ordered the JH13s to replace all 3 after seeing so many glowing reviews. As I said, my first listen out of my Benchmark Dac1 was not so great because I think that comfort was an issue. I decided to plug them into my IPhone and lo and behold, as I began to walk around and listen, the comfort began to resolve itself and now I could really start to hear what the fuss was all about.

2 Days in, the comfort is fine. I'm starting to get used to the in my ear feeling of the JH13s. I have to be careful with choosing recordings because these things are ridiculously revealing, even more so than my Beolab 5 speakers. Bad or even mediocre quality recordings are now totally revealed for what they are. OTOH, I just finished listening to the remastered recording of Genesis "Seconds Out" and it sounded awesome. I've probably heard this album hundreds of times, but now with the remastered version and the JH13s, it sounds fresh to me again.

At first I had buyers remorse. Now I'm happier than a pig in **** with my JH13s.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #7,945 of 10,743
The thing that one has to be careful about, is that when amping the 13's or other comparable IEM''s noise is through the roof and hiss is a a factor of concern. With sensitivities of 90+, amps like the Amp 3 and Flo are not compatible.

You would have to use a tried and tested amp like an RSA or a Headroom and a DAP like the iPod or an iRiver. With sensitivities in the mid to high 90's or 100's a JH13's would have a hissing problem with any of the Japanese or Chinese amps with the exception of the 801's.

if you plan to stick to just iPhone output or Touch then this wouldn't present a problem, but then you're using an $1100 headphone that con be best served by a $500 IEM and I feel that you are just wasting half a $1000.
It would be like riding a Lamborghini in NYC , it looks nice but you are not using it to it's fullest potential so why bother?
IMHO, of course.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #7,946 of 10,743
To me, the biggest strength of the jh13 is how it sounds straight from the iphone headphone jack...it sounds great and I don't need to carry around a sack full of geekery.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #7,947 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing that one has to be careful about, is that when amping the 13's or other comparable IEM''s noise is through the roof and hiss is a a factor of concern. With sensitivities of 90+, amps like the Amp 3 and Flo are not compatible.

You would have to use a tried and tested amp like an RSA or a Headroom and a DAP like the iPod or an iRiver. With sensitivities in the mid to high 90's or 100's a JH13's would have a hissing problem with any of the Japanese or Chinese amps with the exception of the 801's.

if you plan to stick to just iPhone output or Touch then this wouldn't present a problem, but then you're using an $1100 headphone that con be best served by a $500 IEM and I feel that you are just wasting half a $1000.
It would be like riding a Lamborghini in NYC , it looks nice but you are not using it to it's fullest potential so why bother?
IMHO, of course.

The Amp 3 is notoriously known for it's hiss.

The S:Flo2 on the other hand is supposed to have a cleaner sound through its headphone-out then the ipod/iphone, and an even cleaner sound through its line-out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6260699-post56.html

I'm actually surprised that there's not much talk of this player in the JH13/JH16 threads.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #7,948 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S:Flo2 on the other hand is supposed to have a cleaner sound through its headphone-out then the ipod/iphone, and an even cleaner sound through its line-out. I'm actually surprised that there's not much talk of this player in the JH13/JH16 threads.

Me too. I would like to hear from anyone who has used the S:Flo2 line out and the JH13s....maybe with an amp.

(How does one get music from a MacBook Pro on to the S:Flo2?)

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #7,949 of 10,743
This thread has hit over 500,000 views with nearly 8,000 posts... in less than a year. That's incredible....

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #7,950 of 10,743
No signs of slowing down either with the 16's on the block now with their thread also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back