JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #7,621 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about getting an amp... where can you get the starving student hybrid amp?? is it better than say an iQube or Pico/Dac?

The iQube is unbelievable with the JH13s.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #7,622 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by superporpoise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting mine back from their 4th refit tomorrow. Hoping they fit well and sound good!

Hope I won't have to go through that as shipping cost and time to Denmark would kill me

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #7,623 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats not poor looking timmy
smily_headphones1.gif
i think it looks pretty good, the only thing i would say would be to shorten the dowels on the corners a bit and then screw them back in, just so its not raised as much, but even now its not bad. If i ever made a DIY amp, it'd be in like cardboard or something and would look awful
biggrin.gif

yea not a bad idea actually! I made the 'enclosure' first so I didn't know what to expect in terms of size so I made it big enough to know it would fit, and after I'd finished all the electronics work I didn't give a crap I just wanted to turn it on and hear the damn thing! it defo sounds better than it looks but cheers for the compliment
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big build for such small components! I just checked out the one on whiplash audio, looks pretty cool. What kind of inputs did you use on this one? Also, did you implement a gain switch? (the one on whiplash says it has one). It looks like a great little amp that is cheap, where can the components be bought if I wanted to build it myself.

yea, see above and first time DIY project so I wanted to give myself sufficient space on the top board so it wasn't too fiddly. Naa no gain switch, I used the original schematic but there is a modified one that adds a few extra bits and bobs.
The original bill of materials can be found on the SSMH page:
Starving Student hybrid
or the modified here:
SSMH Overview

Quote:

The iQube is unbelievable with the JH13s

this one?:
iQube

dayymn...$629 dollars? like I say I spent $90ish on building a SSMH and I'm chuffed to high heaven! :-/

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #7,625 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but could you fit your SSMH into your fanny pack??

haha nope but thats still hellaexpensive but hey you get what you pay for
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #7,626 of 10,743
Is the stock JH cable terminable to balanced? I know it's four conductor but I read that at the splitter it turns into a three conductor cable. If it's not terminable, are there any JH compatible IEM cables that are, such as Westone's cable?

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #7,627 of 10,743
Can I say from the outset that reading threads like this has often helped me make past purchasing decisions. I thought I had a pretty good speaker setup with Cambridge Amps and B&W speakers, a rig that set me back about $50,000.00AUD. I then heard a system valued at $200,000.00AUD and realised that short of winning some big cash, I would never have audio nirvana. I then turned to headphones as a cheaper option, and started with a pair of Koss Porta Pro's, then ER4P's, then UE10 Pro's, then AKGK701's, then UE11 Pro's, Then HD800's. I have two amp combo's. In my office running off my PC I have a Grace M902. In my theatre with the 50K speaker setup, I have a Benchmark DAC1+ Sugden Headmaster. Oh, and I also have several ipods.

Let me say that without question, the single biggest improvment (or should I say quantum leap) is the addition of JH13 Pro's. I could sell every other piece of audio gear I own and just keep an ipod and JH13 Pro's, and I would be in heaven for life. The detail in all frequencies, the depth, sound stage, musicality....everything, just puts you on stage with the band, no more to be said.

I couldn't wait for the courier, and picked these up from the depot in Western Australia. I immediately plugged them into my ipod and listened to Shamen by Santana, a well recorded album. I immediately realised I no longer had to really listen for the detail.........it was presented as if I was standing in on the recording session, and this was out of my ipod. The same with Sticky Fingers by the Stones, it felt like I was hearing this chestnut for the first time.

To cut a long story short, I have some fit issues with my JH13's, and they are currently being modified against some new ear impressions. I am being forced to listed to my UE11's and HD800's. The HD800's have a slight edge on the UE11's, but they are going on ebay the minute my JH13's come back fitting right.

My ultimate speaker rig I have discovered will cost somewhere in the vicinity of half a million dollars, and the only improvement over the JH13 Pros will be the sensation of air moving, otherwise probably not as good.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #7,628 of 10,743
I'm waiting for my refitted JH13's. They should be here by mid of the week. Hope they fit this time (first time the right IEM was pressing against my right inner ear and the tubes were too long).

The tube issue (too long tubes) seems to be a common. Any reasons, why JH Audio produces that long tubes? The UE11 that I owned before did not have these long tubes.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #7,629 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I say from the outset that reading threads like this has often helped me make past purchasing decisions. I thought I had a pretty good speaker setup with Cambridge Amps and B&W speakers, a rig that set me back about $50,000.00AUD. I then heard a system valued at $200,000.00AUD and realised that short of winning some big cash, I would never have audio nirvana. I then turned to headphones as a cheaper option, and started with a pair of Koss Porta Pro's, then ER4P's, then UE10 Pro's, then AKGK701's, then UE11 Pro's, Then HD800's. I have two amp combo's. In my office running off my PC I have a Grace M902. In my theatre with the 50K speaker setup, I have a Benchmark DAC1+ Sugden Headmaster. Oh, and I also have several ipods.

Let me say that without question, the single biggest improvment (or should I say quantum leap) is the addition of JH13 Pro's. I could sell every other piece of audio gear I own and just keep an ipod and JH13 Pro's, and I would be in heaven for life. The detail in all frequencies, the depth, sound stage, musicality....everything, just puts you on stage with the band, no more to be said.

I couldn't wait for the courier, and picked these up from the depot in Western Australia. I immediately plugged them into my ipod and listened to Shamen by Santana, a well recorded album. I immediately realised I no longer had to really listen for the detail.........it was presented as if I was standing in on the recording session, and this was out of my ipod. The same with Sticky Fingers by the Stones, it felt like I was hearing this chestnut for the first time.

To cut a long story short, I have some fit issues with my JH13's, and they are currently being modified against some new ear impressions. I am being forced to listed to my UE11's and HD800's. The HD800's have a slight edge on the UE11's, but they are going on ebay the minute my JH13's come back fitting right.

My ultimate speaker rig I have discovered will cost somewhere in the vicinity of half a million dollars, and the only improvement over the JH13 Pros will be the sensation of air moving, otherwise probably not as good.

This is a pretty telling post. Cheers!

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #7,630 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the stock JH cable terminable to balanced? I know it's four conductor but I read that at the splitter it turns into a three conductor cable. If it's not terminable, are there any JH compatible IEM cables that are, such as Westone's cable?

JH cable cant be terminated to balanced. I'm not sure, but only stock cable which can be balanced is new from UE18.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 2, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #7,631 of 10,743
I've been constantly reading through the reviews of the UE11/JH11 and the JH13 and I am taken aback. I'm considering purchasing an IEM and have now come down to either the JH11 or the JH13. I'm wondering if anybody could lend me some advice based off of their listening experiences with one or both of these models.

The last pair of phones I had were a pair of AKG k701s so I'm basing a majority of my listening from these. I felt the amount of detail and soundstage from these phone was very good but I felt the bass was lacking.

Looking to the JH11, I keep reading that the bass sounds slightly more accentuated than the 13s due to the dual low driver while the 13 balances itself out due to a dual driver for each frequency range. Is it safe to make this assumption? Also, recalling the detail and bass from the 701s, I guess I'm worried that the 11s might not have a good amount of detail or that the 13s won't have enough bass impact to my ears and might be too dry or analytical.

Lastly, I listen to a wide array of genres. I like detail where it counts in genres like jazz, ambient, classical, etc. but maybe not so much in regard to hip hop, trance, house, etc. I'm slightly worried that either the 13s will make lower quality music sound harsh (in addition to a possibly lesser presence of bass (another assumption)) or that the 11s will over-emphasize the bass at some rate.

In short, I like detail and bass presence but I guess I don't want one to outdo the other.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #7,632 of 10,743
I would get the jh-13's if you can afford them, and since you have them in consideration i will assume you can. Dont ever think that the 13's will lack for bass. When the song needs it they will be little subwoofers in your ears, but they will also give your more nuances and detail in the bass then you have probably ever heard. Yeah there are a few albums that really bug me with the 13's from the sound quality perspective, the the benefits in this case clearly outweigh the negatives. But i have yet to find a piece of music that doesnt sound better than i've ever heard it before on the 13's, and that is just out of my iPod, since i dont have a amp so i can use my dac yet. Plus if you get the 11's, you will always be wondering how much better the 13's really are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been constantly reading through the reviews of the UE11/JH11 and the JH13 and I am taken aback. I'm considering purchasing an IEM and have now come down to either the JH11 or the JH13. I'm wondering if anybody could lend me some advice based off of their listening experiences with one or both of these models.

The last pair of phones I had were a pair of AKG k701s so I'm basing a majority of my listening from these. I felt the amount of detail and soundstage from these phone was very good but I felt the bass was lacking.

Looking to the JH11, I keep reading that the bass sounds slightly more accentuated than the 13s due to the dual low driver while the 13 balances itself out due to a dual driver for each frequency range. Is it safe to make this assumption? Also, recalling the detail and bass from the 701s, I guess I'm worried that the 11s might not have a good amount of detail or that the 13s won't have enough bass impact to my ears and might be too dry or analytical.

Lastly, I listen to a wide array of genres. I like detail where it counts in genres like jazz, ambient, classical, etc. but maybe not so much in regard to hip hop, trance, house, etc. I'm slightly worried that either the 13s will make lower quality music sound harsh (in addition to a possibly lesser presence of bass (another assumption)) or that the 11s will over-emphasize the bass at some rate.

In short, I like detail and bass presence but I guess I don't want one to outdo the other.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #7,633 of 10,743
I would go for the JH13, as the JH11 are colored with an emphasized mid-bass. The longer you listen to music, the more you will like a neutral reproduction of your music. At least that is my experience and that forced me to sell my UE11 at the end and to buy the JH13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back