JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #7,561 of 10,743
Anyone using the enyo cable from null audio??? I was interested in this cable, if you do ... how does it sound compared to stock?? Thanks!

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #7,563 of 10,743
Hola Head-Fi'ers,

Sorta noob here. I went back and forth on whether to get the already proven JH-13's or the 16's. I like bass so I am hoping the 16's have a tiny bit more oomph than the 13's but it's just a guess right now.

Anyway, I just ordered the JH-16 Pro's and the TWag replacement cable. Not gonna see my cans til mid March and the wait is killing me. I can only hope I am as happy with my 16's as you all are on your 13's. 500+ pages of appreciation, JH must be doing something right, I hope I did too.

Worked with Zac at JH Audio (he is patient and simply amazing) on my art and he was able to come through 110%. This is how it turned out, now I just want to listen to them.

Those are my two kids by the way. The girl has the rose, boy in blue.

FRGus723

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #7,564 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1) The art has indeed tremendously improved, if they can do that.

2) It's awwwdoraaable!

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #7,565 of 10,743
Quote:

Hola Head-Fi'ers,

Sorta noob here. I went back and forth on whether to get the already proven JH-13's or the 16's. I like bass so I am hoping the 16's have a tiny bit more oomph than the 13's but it's just a guess right now.

Anyway, I just ordered the JH-16 Pro's and the TWag replacement cable. Not gonna see my cans til mid March and the wait is killing me. I can only hope I am as happy with my 16's as you all are on your 13's. 500+ pages of appreciation, JH must be doing something right, I hope I did too.

Worked with Zac at JH Audio (he is patient and simply amazing) on my art and he was able to come through 110%. This is how it turned out, now I just want to listen to them.

FRGus723

Wow! that artwork is amazing!!

did they start using a new method? Most artwork I have seen from JH has looked sub part but that is outstanding!
smily_headphones1.gif

is the twag cable really worth the $300?

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #7,566 of 10,743
Quote:

Hola Head-Fi'ers,

FRGus723

I to am deciding wether it be the 13's or 16's now
confused_face_2.gif
, but i won't be getting my impressions done until late Match where my UK JHA dealer has the demo 13's and said he should have the 16 demos in from JHA by then to compare, so cannot wait to see which one i will prefer before puting in my order.
Will be interesting to see what you think of the 16's when you get them even though you will not have a direct comaprison to the 13's.

By the way the art work is Awesome, and is a fast imnprovement on what i have seen for intricate detail so far and is as good as that specail JHA lady that was a few posts back. I bet you are chuffed with those pics and cannot wait to actually see them in the flesh now (as well as listen to them!)..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! that artwork is amazing!!

did they start using a new method? Most artwork I have seen from JH has looked sub part but that is outstanding!
smily_headphones1.gif

is the twag cable really worth the $300?

I think they must have some new method for that amount of detail that sharp and clear artwork is just what looks like to be the icing on the cake now to compliment a what is a fine bit of earphone engineering
normal_smile .gif

I would take a guess at yes it is worth it... even if it is not a huge difference in improvement in sound quality percentage wise i would say after spending $1,100 buck on the 13's then to get a bt more from these already good sounding customs then the upgrade has gotta be worth it even @ $300?.

Like the hi-fi seperate's philosophy of spending a tenth of your equipment cost in value on cable's. Admittidely this is a bit more fraction wise in investment of cable to equipment ratio, but i think there will be only one way to find out for sure which is to open that wallet again ~ oh no! that plastic has melted!
biggrin.gif

I am going to enjoy the stock cable for a whiile when i do finally get my 13's or 16's so i can get a customed to the sound well enough before ordering a tWag cable and then hopefully benifit & enljoy from the improvement of the tWag.

Anyway guys, back to the artwork suddenly taken a step up in quality for whatever reason i suppose this would be possible now as i was contemplating this orignally, and now after seeing frgus amazing piece of art on his 16's and the cool detaled JHA flying lady i finally think i could have this done:

It is from a disbanded 80-90's English rock band i used to be into, Little Angels and always liked the artwork to this (one of many devil artworks they had done), wanted to get this as a Tattoo but am a bit of a woz and can't take the pain factor so may have this on my 13's/16's instead on one side with the JHA logo and lady on the other?
Oh yes, the pic is scanned from a 7' single with a hole in the middle and i do have a proper pic of it!

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #7,568 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar fit issues as I have been experiencing.

The left earpiece has always been perfect, so perfect in fact, that it exaggerates any issues in the right one! The right one though, has been a big problem.

First I sent the right earpiece back to get the ear-canal part enlarged because I couldn’t achieve a decent seal. When I got them back they were much better but then I noticed I wasn’t hearing all the upper frequencies properly. It turned out they were built wrong and one of sound bores was facing my ear-canal and blocking out some of the sound.

Zac said I should send in a new impression of my right ear and my right earpiece and they’ll remake it completely. So I did that, and I received the remade one, but first of all I noticed the artwork was damaged. Zac said they didn’t touch the artwork because they just ‘take it off’ of the old one and don’t need to remake it. Whatever, that doesn’t really bother me too much.

What bothers me was that although the problem of hearing the upper frequencies was solved, the sound is now completely unbalanced. Similar to if you took a pair of speakers and put them at your side facing each ear but at completely different heights. I can move the earpieces around and position them perfectly for a bit – pure bliss – but they never stays like that for long.

I spent a grand on these things so I’m not gonna give up, I’m gonna go get another set of impressions done and see what happens. But I was wondering if anyone else has had issues similar and can offer some advice/insight/words of encouragement!

I have been having problems with the right monitor for 6 months now! All I can say is that JH audio is doing their best to resolve my fit problem. I am still confident everything will work out. I would hate to give up on these monitors as they sound fantastic. In fact in some ways they sound better than my balanced hd800 rig!

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #7,569 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by aegid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes me want to send mine in for an art redo...

would you be able to do that?? hmmm
smily_headphones1.gif
lol

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #7,571 of 10,743
You heartless ba***rds have finally wore me down. After reading about how great these things are for 8 months, I finally had to say enough and order a pair.

I am super excited and super pained at the same time. You see, I just got a pair of UE11's about a month before the JH Audio announcment by Jude. So, just for the shear fact of spending that kind of dough, I convinced myself I would be just fine with the 11's. It worked a for a while. But the glorious reports never stopped. Since I've been at head-fi, I cannot recall one product where there has been nary a negative word uttered about it like the 13's. I really thought I was done after I got my D7000's. They are the perfect complement to the 800's, which are my main can. But, while I loved my 11's, every time I listened to them (especially after reading about the 13's), they just seemed to sound a little congested with all of that bass. I love bass, and the 11's don't have bad bass, something just seemed amiss. So it just started wearing me down. The thought of knowing that I was that one piece away from complete audio happiness. So, today I took the plunge. I will be overnighting my UE11's to be scanned.

Now, some may say, why not the 16's, they are the newest and greatest. I had a chance to talk to Jerry today, and he reiterated what others have posted about where there is a tip up in the bass and lower midrange on the 16's. What he said that stuck in my mind, is you have to listen to music that is really powering the bass to hear the difference between the 16's and 13's. So, as has been posted, this makes sense for stage musicians. Now for us audiophiles, my guess if you are a big hip hop fan, or electronica fan, than maybe the 16's would be what you are looking for. For me, I'm and Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead/other classic rock/jazz/blues guy so the 13's sound like they will fit the bill. Plus, sounds like they pair really well with the P-51, and I can get them sooner
biggrin.gif

So thanks again for destroying my wallet, and once again causing me to get creative with my accounting so the Mrs. doesn't find out and hang off the roof of my house by my toenails.

On the positive side, I cannot wait to get these in my ears!

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #7,572 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact in some ways they sound better than my balanced hd800 rig!

I keep reading this over and over again. It is just insane that these IEM's are outranking the HD800 in the opinions of many people! I would like to read an in depth comparison of these headphones, as different as they are. How do you compare a open-backed full-sized headphone to an IEM?

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7,573 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, some may say, why not the 16's, they are the newest and greatest. I had a chance to talk to Jerry today, and he reiterated what others have posted about where there is a tip up in the bass and lower midrange on the 16's. What he said that stuck in my mind, is you have to listen to music that is really powering the bass to hear the difference between the 16's and 13's. So, as has been posted, this makes sense for stage musicians. Now for us audiophiles, my guess if you are a big hip hop fan, or electronica fan, than maybe the 16's would be what you are looking for. For me, I'm and Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead/other classic rock/jazz/blues guy so the 13's sound like they will fit the bill. Plus, sounds like they pair really well with the P-51, and I can get them sooner
biggrin.gif

So thanks again for destroying my wallet, and once again causing me to get creative with my accounting so the Mrs. doesn't find out and hang off the roof of my house by my toenails.

I don't think that it will even matter if it's hip hop or electronica because the 13's provide plenty of bass when they need to and as Jerry stated before, on studio recordings the level of bass is pretty consistent while for performing artists it can vary so the 16's should have enough bass capacity to handle that if needed.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #7,574 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You heartless ba***rds have finally wore me down. After reading about how great these things are for 8 months, I finally had to say enough and order a pair.

I am super excited and super pained at the same time. You see, I just got a pair of UE11's about a month before the JH Audio announcment by Jude. So, just for the shear fact of spending that kind of dough, I convinced myself I would be just fine with the 11's. It worked a for a while. But the glorious reports never stopped. Since I've been at head-fi, I cannot recall one product where there has been nary a negative word uttered about it like the 13's. I really thought I was done after I got my D7000's. They are the perfect complement to the 800's, which are my main can. But, while I loved my 11's, every time I listened to them (especially after reading about the 13's), they just seemed to sound a little congested with all of that bass. I love bass, and the 11's don't have bad bass, something just seemed amiss. So it just started wearing me down. The thought of knowing that I was that one piece away from complete audio happiness. So, today I took the plunge. I will be overnighting my UE11's to be scanned.

biggrin.gif

Wow what a story.

Yeah right now I own the JH5's, and reading all the stuff about the 13's makes me "curious" about them, but I can't take the plunge money wise. My method of thinking is that once my 5's don't fit very well anymore I will jump on the 13's, or whatever their is... I am thinking 4 years.. until then, I will continually read positive remarks on these puppies
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #7,575 of 10,743
hello hi how are you all, been away for a little while..well not away just away from here, been very busy and stuff then last week I had my girlfriend down from birmingham for the week so yea not love for the JH13's last week
wink.gif

a week away from them and I chose the New Radicals to welcome them back into my ears, it was a good choice...

today I've ordered the parts to build a Starving Student 12AU7 flavour, I'm so eager to hear tubey 13's. I'm crapping myself that a) I won't be able to do it P2P - I think I will though, thats what I keep telling myself and b) I won't find a suitable case so I'll get impatient end up making some half-assed banged together wooden crap. I may still make it out of wood with my dads help, he has all the wood working business in the shed, bench saws and all, I want to make it like some neo-futuristic space age death-ray amp with tube and heatsink podiums supported by perspex tubes with fancy braided wires running through the tubes..but I'm not good enough

anyway enough of my technical design aspirations...how do the 13's sound through a tube or two? yes...a question better posed before purchasing necessary equipment but the tubes glow..thats worth £50 alone in my book

Users who are viewing this thread

Back