JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #7,321 of 10,743
Flimberson, I think that yours is only the second post that I've seen expressing disappointment over the performance of the JH13 PRO. The other Head-Fier also didn't rate it any higher than his IE8. This is most intriguing. I'll continue to watch this thread with interest.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #7,322 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flimberson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my JH13's yesterday. I was expecting them monday but they were super fast with the shipping (shipped thursday night and arrived friday morning in Toronto)

Anyways, first impressions..they look beautiful, they got just the right amount of black in my request for a "bit darker than usual transparent black". Fit is perfect too, and inserting them was simple and easy (these are my first pair of customs).

As for the sound...disappointing
frown.gif
. Overall sound was congested, and although I could somewhat notice some form of clarity, they sound no better than my IE8's, small soundstage too. It feels like there's a veil over the entire sound.

Reading back in the thread, I noticed how a few members experienced this as well, and they opened up after a few days from burn in. I hope that's the case with me as well. I don't think it can be a fit issue, as these fit PERECTLY, and are super comfy.

Anyone able to provide some insight on this/had a similar experience?

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed. It's a lot of money to spend to not be happy with the end result. I have 2 suggestions: 1) Contact JHA and describe the sound to them; though not likely based on what you've described, it's possible that your pair has an issue; and 2) Keep posting your impressions--negative reviews are just as helpful as positive reviews (if not more so). Also, what is the associated gear you're using with them?

The JH13 is one of the few audio products I've purchased that I think live up to the hype, but they're not perfect. Please keep us informed even if you end up not liking them at all. It's helpful to everyone.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #7,323 of 10,743
Quote:

Just received my JH13's yesterday. I was expecting them monday but they were super fast with the shipping (shipped thursday night and arrived friday morning in Toronto)

Anyways, first impressions..they look beautiful, they got just the right amount of black in my request for a "bit darker than usual transparent black". Fit is perfect too, and inserting them was simple and easy (these are my first pair of customs).

As for the sound...disappointing
frown.gif
. Overall sound was congested, and although I could somewhat notice some form of clarity, they sound no better than my IE8's, small soundstage too. It feels like there's a veil over the entire sound.

Reading back in the thread, I noticed how a few members experienced this as well, and they opened up after a few days from burn in. I hope that's the case with me as well. I don't think it can be a fit issue, as these fit PERECTLY, and are super comfy.

Anyone able to provide some insight on this/had a similar experience?

Interesting, but also helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

what source/amp, etc are you using? Just wondering.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #7,324 of 10,743
Greetings all, and I know that you are sorry about my wallet!

I ordered my JH13s on 5 Jan, and finally had a chance to get molds done on the 18th. Overnited them to JH Audio, and called and left a message about the odd anatomy of my right ear (post tympanoplasty and partial ossicular chain reconnstruction), and to talk with someone there about any issues this might presnt.

They received my molds on the 19th, and Jerry himself called me back. I was scrubbed-in, and couldn't take the call, but called back 2 minutes after closing time for JH Audio. Left a voicemail, and did not expect anyone to answer, but Jerry called me back, 30 seconds later. He told me to call back the next morning, by which time he would have my molds in my lab. He also was willing to discuss the JH13 vs JH16 question to my satisfaction. His opinion is that for audiophile use, the JH13s are better. He states that the JH16s will be about 2dB louder in deep bass, and that this really is only useful in monitoring in the live settings. For listening to high-quality, prerecorded music on good equipment, he recommends, and uses the JH13s. After this discussion, I did not feel in any way compelled to change my order.

The next day, he inspected my molds as promised, and reassured me that my slightly odd anatomy would not present any problems. As of the 22nd, my JH13s are "in the lab," so I expect them sometime late next week.

Sorry about the long story, but I felt the need to highlight the professionalism and kindness of Jerry Harvey and his company. I will buy from JH Audio again, if their product is 1/10th as good as their service!

I can't wait to hear them. I expect that they will be considerably better than my Klipsch Custom 3s. I have the Whiplash TWag cable already, and my ALO Rx is nicely burned-in by now.

Best regards,

Mike

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #7,325 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by mivanitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings all, and I know that you are sorry about my wallet!

I ordered my JH13s on 5 Jan, and finally had a chance to get molds done on the 18th. Overnited them to JH Audio, and called and left a message about the odd anatomy of my right ear (post tympanoplasty and partial ossicular chain reconnstruction), and to talk with someone there about any issues this might present.

They received my molds on the 19th, and Jerry himself called me back. I was scrubbed-in, and couldn't take the call, but called back 2 minutes after closing time for JH Audio. Left a voicemail, and did not expect anyone to answer, but Jerry called me back, 30 seconds later. He told me to call back the next morning, by which time he would have my molds in my lab. He also was willing to discuss the JH13 vs JH18 question to my satisfaction. His opinion is that for audiophile use, the JH13s are better. He states that the JH18s will be about 2dB louder in deep bass, and that this really is only useful in monitoring in the live settings. For listening to high-quality, prerecorded music on good equipment, he recommends, and uses the JH13s. After this discussion, I did not feel in any way compelled to change my order.

The next day, he inspected my molds as promised, and reassured me that my slightly odd anatomy would not present any problems. As of the 22nd, my JH13s are "in the lab," so I expect them sometime late next week.

Sorry about the long story, but I felt the need to highlight the professionalism and kindness of Jerry Harvey and his company. I will buy from JH Audio again, if their product is 1/10th as good as their service!

I can't wait to hear them. I expect that they will be considerably better than my Klipsch Custom 3s. I have the Whiplash TWag cable already, and my ALO Rx is nicely burned-in by now.

Best regards,

Mike

JH18? You meant JH16? or is there going to be a JH18, to fight heads on with UE18?
redface.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #7,326 of 10,743
It's quite disheartening to hear how my pair are after reading through this thread so much. I have no experience with amps of any sort, and at the moment I am just using a Zune 120 with 320kbps files. Also tried with lossless files on my laptop and they sounded no better.

So far, I have been burning them in with pink noise for close to 15 hours. Dscans, your words are somewhat comforting, hope they do open up by 50 hours
normal_smile .gif
Don't notice an improvement in sound at the moment but we'll see..

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #7,327 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH18? You meant JH16? or is there going to be a JH18, to fight heads on with UE18?
redface.gif

JH18 = three triple drivers with a three-way crossover and a three bores design.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #7,329 of 10,743
Quote:

It's quite disheartening to hear how my pair are after reading through this thread so much. I have no experience with amps of any sort, and at the moment I am just using a Zune 120 with 320kbps files. Also tried with lossless files on my laptop and they sounded no better.

So far, I have been burning them in with pink noise for close to 15 hours. Dscans, your words are somewhat comforting, hope they do open up by 50 hours
normal_smile .gif
Don't notice an improvement in sound at the moment but we'll see..

The usefulness of burn-in for dynamic driver phones is a hotly debated topic in these forum threads. The benefit of applying it to balanced armature phones is even more questionable. Why don't you try to spend some more time listening to music through your JH13 PROs. Perhaps you need to acclimate to the new sound signature - brain burn-in as some people describe it.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #7,330 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed. It's a lot of money to spend to not be happy with the end result. I have 2 suggestions: 1) Contact JHA and describe the sound to them; though not likely based on what you've described, it's possible that your pair has an issue; and 2) Keep posting your impressions--negative reviews are just as helpful as positive reviews (if not more so). Also, what is the associated gear you're using with them?

The JH13 is one of the few audio products I've purchased that I think live up to the hype, but they're not perfect. Please keep us informed even if you end up not liking them at all. It's helpful to everyone.

couldn't agree more..speak to JH Audio if things don't improve.
I've found them to be very fit dependent..I have a great fit on mine but if I don't insert them correctly the vieled sound you describe is apparent..
I tend to turn them 90o clockwise (forwards incase I'm being dumb with my clocks), insert the stem then twist them back anticlockwise (backwards) whilst pusing in. I then adjust by putting the music on, pulling my canal straight (pull top of ear up and back) and wiggling till it sounds good. Sometimes I get a sucking/pressure sensation if I insert too deep and wiggle it and it creates an airtight seal which causes again the sound to be veiled so I just pull the top of my ear up to break it (doesn't affect isolation) and it goes.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #7,331 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The usefulness of burn-in for dynamic driver phones is a hotly debated topic in these forum threads. The benefit of applying it to balanced armature phones is even more questionable. Why don't you try to spend some more time listening to music through your JH13 PROs. Perhaps you need to acclimate to the new sound signature - brain burn-in as some people describe it.

X2, Might I also suggest that you take a rest from audio for a while. Sometimes I think this thing we call "burn in" is just the time it takes our brain/minds to adjust our unrealistic/ideal expectations to the reality of what we're hearing.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #7,332 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
couldn't agree more..speak to JH Audio if things don't improve.
I've found them to be very fit dependent..I have a great fit on mine but if I don't insert them correctly the vieled sound you describe is apparent..
I tend to turn them 90o clockwise (forwards incase I'm being dumb with my clocks), insert the stem then twist them back anticlockwise (backwards) whilst pusing in. I then adjust by putting the music on, pulling my canal straight (pull top of ear up and back) and wiggling till it sounds good. Sometimes I get a sucking/pressure sensation if I insert too deep and wiggle it and it creates an airtight seal which causes again the sound to be veiled so I just pull the top of my ear up to break it (doesn't affect isolation) and it goes.

It's essential to do this while standing on one leg and reciting the Ode of Rememberance.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #7,333 of 10,743
Quote:

It's essential to do this while standing on one leg and reciting the Ode of Rememberance.

not forgetting touching your nose with your tongue.
Listening now..I only put them in to listen to one song and I can't take them out
frown.gif

...omg..warning by biggie....pure utter class rapping and the 13's just make it sound too good

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #7,335 of 10,743
Quote:

timmyGSCE, how do you find the fit and comfort? Did it take some getting used to given that it penetrates the ear canal quite deeply?

naa the fit is spot on and the comfort is second to none, after like 5 minutes you forget they are in there and if you don't there's probably a fit issue (stem too long, slightly angled so its touching the inner canal etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back