JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 3, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #4,756 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason, this is what bothers me the most about the JH13. It sounds like they're compensating for sub-par equipment somehow. Anyone care to chime in on why or how they do this? This is just my opinion, but I would think that a really high quality phone should not hide any deficiencies in the equipment or recording being listened to (i.e. don't make crap sound better than it really is).

Believe me, they do not gloss over anything. If it sounds bad it is bad. But they have the ability to flesh out every bit of nuance, which ends up adding to the enjoyment but they do not color, tame peaky highs or grit or anything else.

The JH13's just do a better job of giving you what is on the recording.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #4,757 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by aegid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if I'm already throwing $1100 plus misc other costs in, this irks me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So wait, they replaced a $75 carbon fiber case by a $10 Otterbox, but the total price stays the same?
rolleyes.gif

The Otterbox costs about $11.49 and is quite practical for the application.
I am a scuba diver and it is what we use on the boat (in various different sizes). It is completely waterproof and can take a huge hit or drop.
I'm not sure what the wholesale cost to JH Audio is for the "carbon fiber box", but I doubt it cost $79 and it is more bling than effectiveness. It is only held closed by a magnet, and it is too big for portability. I'm pretty sure that the price of the headphones were not affected by the box. Unless you carry a DAP w/o an amp, it is pretty worthless except as a showpiece at parties.
I'd much rather the Otterbox and wish I was offered the option to send mine back and get the Otterbox as a replacement. Anyone want to trade (if the name can be removed), shoot me a PM.
Also, with the amount of money that we waste on cables and stands and other assorted unnecessaries, if you really want one, they are readily available on the internet.

Waterproof Cases // OtterBox.com

My main point in all of this, is that this is a small pimple on our asses when it comes to traveling the path to find audio nirvana. These headphones are as good as it gets and I don't care if they came in a brown paper bag.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #4,758 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason, this is what bothers me the most about the JH13. It sounds like they're compensating for sub-par equipment somehow. Anyone care to chime in on why or how they do this? This is just my opinion, but I would think that a really high quality phone should not hide any deficiencies in the equipment or recording being listened to (i.e. don't make crap sound better than it really is).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe me, they do not gloss over anything. If it sounds bad it is bad. But they have the ability to flesh out every bit of nuance, which ends up adding to the enjoyment but they do not color, tame peaky highs or grit or anything else.

The JH13's just do a better job of giving you what is on the recording.

I don't hear this at all. As John states, whatever sounds good sounds better, and whatever sounds bad, still sounds bad.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #4,759 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you really dont find that a contradiction
confused.gif
let me put it in simpler language; very revealing of source, sounds good on almost any source.....

also, I really think people need to stop assuming that all low impedance headphones are an easy load

I agree and said as much a week ago. This is true with any high end speaker and source, the quality of the recording will be revealed and if it is a piss poor engineering job, you will hear it in all it's defects. For example, I find the Clash, London Calling a great album, but can't stand to hear it now because of how revealing the JH13s are.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #4,760 of 10,743
I think we should start a new thread on what irks us about the 13's!!!

I tell you what irks me about them and I hold them responsible for this.

They should have come out with these a few years ago and saved me some money because I wouldn't have bought a bunch of other stuff but then maybe I wouldn't know how good they are if I hadn't.

Ok, I said it but realizing I might not have known, I guess I am not so irked now. I feel like a cat with a hair ball, irk , irk , iiiiirkkkkk, there, I got it out.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #4,761 of 10,743
Anything that we buy, technology-wise, is going to be improved at such a fast rate,it would be ludicrous to worry about always having the latest and greatest. Checkout this awesome video which show just how fast our population and technology are changing:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #4,762 of 10,743
So most of everything I know is outdated and I lead a fruitless, meaningless existence with my only connection to what life might possibly be like existing here in this state of musical bliss. So is that good or bad?

My lifeline is the things stuck in my ears. Thank you JH13's, thank you. . . .

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #4,763 of 10,743
Basically, yeah.

50's and 60's Jazz and Blues and the Beatles, pretty much drew the line to which nothing else will ever stand still (except for maybe napkins and forks).

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #4,764 of 10,743
Awesome video. I think we can enjoy what we have, you never know what will be tomorrow becose this technology increases going to destroy our world someday. We dont care good about our planet for example evidence is melting glaciers it is a big problem if ocean will have more normal water than usually, just time then winter days come, experts say for 30-50 years. On the other hand I just watching to much Discovery chanel
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #4,765 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by not_sure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand I just watching to much Discovery chanel
bigsmile_face.gif

I guess that's better than watching "How It's Made" because according to my posted video, that how it's not going to be made, in 2 years from now.
tongue.gif

I guess we shoulπd get back on topic now, especially since our lives are going to totally change in the next 64 seconds, anyway
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #4,766 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So wait, they replaced a $75 carbon fiber case by a $10 Otterbox, but the total price stays the same?
rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking if I ordered the JH13's assuming I would get a sexy CF case and wound up with a $15 otterbox, it would be nice if they could offer the CF case as an accessory for the same price as an otterbox ($15). The profit margin on the JH13's is pretty large, and there's nothing wrong with that since they're covering R&D and they're putting out a good product, but skimping on an accessory to save a few bucks seems petty to me.

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4,767 of 10,743
Playing Devil's Advocate here, as work intensive as it is (more than any other type of headphone that we know of, as long as we are not tearing down an entire forest of Zelkovia Rainforest trees or using up the earth's supplies of Leona plastic), how do we really know how large the profit margin is, on a pair of JH-13 IEMs, especially if repetitive fittings are involved. Multiple employees, machinery, and artisians
tongue.gif
are all involved to make these things fit and sound really good in our ears.
We have no idea.
And if the Otterbox was what was originally packaged with the 13's (this is all my fault...sorry), then none of these issues would be coming up and it would be accepted as the price including accompanied accessories.

I say, take a chill pill, enjoy more and complain less, and worry about the current unemployment rate, and hope that you are in the 47% that won't be paying Federal Taxes this year. Then it all won't matter so much.

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #4,768 of 10,743
It's more that I'd rather a $75 item be included with an option to buy a $15 item than to include a $15 item with an option to buy a $75 item no matter what the two items were.

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4,769 of 10,743
Why don't you give Jerry/Jamie/Adam/Brittany a call and see what they say about the change. Maybe they will accommodate the difference.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #4,770 of 10,743
What I find interesting is that folks complained about the large, fairly useless case, so they changed it to something more practical and useful, though certainly less expensive. Now, people are complaining that they don't have or can't get the first case for free. Guess that's the way it goes.

I consider the first case as the early-adopters edition, for those who basically took the risk right after CanJam. Mind you, that risk has also included inconsistent art quality, and the occasional mess up (two folks getting theirs switched), which seems to be improving, and will presumably get better still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back