JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2,806 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand completely but to take over a thread and go on and on about an issue that has already been noted is not productive. Going back on topic has there been anyone beside headphoneaddict that had fit issues? Seems like jha is doing pretty well there.

Mine fit great right off. I do notice that they are real tight in the AM. Like the swelling I get in my lower legs after being on my feet for 12 hours, I guess I get a swelled head/ear canal. :^) I also notice they need to be in for a few minutes so everything forms, my ear canal doing subtle changes. Seems to do the same thing as what is reported for the ES3X and their heat sensitive section in the canal.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,807 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember jamato8 being flamed when he first heard his JH13's and wasn't overly impressed. Of course, he's one experienced head-fier and can pretty much say anything and people will not lynch him. I don't think that if HPAddict, Jude, boomana, Eedwood, Iron_Dreamer and so on, expressed anything negative that you or anyone might dare to challenge their views, unless it's another one of the big boys.

Yup, don't mess with the big shots. You'll get burned!
devil_face.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2,808 of 10,743
That is because it was a new opinion of his thoughts keep going back to the same issue with nothing new to add is a completely different story beyond just saying you have not gotten them and whatnot beyond one post. Nothing requires you to read this thread I just think that beyond saying that you are unhappy with their customer service is more then enough. When you follow a thread watching 50 people go back to the same exact thing is a waste of bandwidth isn't it?

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #2,809 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Going back on topic has there been anyone beside headphoneaddict that had fit issues? Seems like jha is doing pretty well there.

As the 13's are my first customs, I'm not sure if I'm having fit issues, or if it's just the way customs are. Whenever I raise my eyebrows, or smile, the seal breaks entirely on the left monitor, and not so much on the right. What do you guys think?

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2,810 of 10,743
I can look like a spaz and my seal doesn't break. I would say your left ear might need a refit.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2,811 of 10,743
hockeyb213, I've been using my iphone 32gb 3gs as my source. I'm very pleased with the results, but I'm wondering, do the 13's really get much better with a dac/amp setup?

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #2,812 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can look like a spaz and my seal doesn't break. I would say your left ear might need a refit.

Does that mean I need to go get new impressions taken?

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #2,813 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by makotype /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hockeyb213, I've been using my iphone 32gb 3gs as my source. I'm very pleased with the results, but I'm wondering, do the 13's really get much better with a dac/amp setup?

They absolutely do. Going from an iPhone to something like a Pico amp & DAC is a significant jump. Plugging right into your phone sure is convenient though.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #2,815 of 10,743
You should be able to do anything and not loose the seal - you have a fit issue bro. My cheapo UM56 canal plugs dont come loose on any facial/neck/yawn/snore/fart/anything. I can even pull on a cable and have a higher of dislodging the whole thing (and screaming in the process) than the seal coming loose.

Crackers are like nails from hell. Tapping the enclosures - thats a rough sound as well. Catching the cable on the elliptical machine arm sucks alot too...

Quote:

As the 13's are my first customs, I'm not sure if I'm having fit issues, or if it's just the way customs are. Whenever I raise my eyebrows, or smile, the seal breaks entirely on the left monitor, and not so much on the right. What do you guys think?

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #2,817 of 10,743
I would think bad impressions, I know they dont degrade over many months so shipping shouldn't have been an issue. Have another set made and send it all back to them after a talk on the phone would be my advice.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #2,819 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They absolutely do. Going from an iPhone to something like a Pico amp & DAC is a significant jump. Plugging right into your phone sure is convenient though.

Won't be too sure...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_ba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Avid readers may notice this is a cross-post. My apologies if that is bad form.

I upgraded to the iPhone 3GS about a month ago. I thought the sound quality was better (no hiss on my Shure SE 530 IEMs, more bass on my Sennheiser HD 650 cans), and today I put it to the test. I compared the iphone headphone out to my Pico DAC. I listened through my Sennheiser HD 650's. I played lossless files on both devices, and I tried it with two songs: Radio Attack, by Prefuse 73, and I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, by Wilco. Both songs are sonically complex, and are considered to be meticulously engineered. I prefer a testing modality where you switch back and forth between both songs every few seconds (you need an extension cable for the iphone or else it pauses when the headphones are unplugged) rather than comparing impressions across an extended listening session.

Compared to my "gold standard" Pico DAC/amp, the iPhone 3G S was indistinguishable on both songs. The midrange details, the bass thump, were all exactly the same, to my ears. The maximum volume the iPhone could put out was a hair louder than the Pico at max. Details, separation, and the sense of space, were all the same to me, as far as I understand those concepts.

This is not a knock on the Pico, by any stretch: the Pico is a good improvement over the native soundcard on my laptop. Rather, it's a celebration of the iPhone 3G S. Since the beginning a nifty little device, to be sure, and now a legitimate source for audiophile listening. I imagine it is new hardware, rather than the 3.0 software, that is making the difference, but I wish I still had my 1st gen for the comparison. I have an ALO cable coming to me that will allow me to compare the iphone's line out + pico amp to the headphone out. If people are interested, I can post that outcome once I know it.

Note that this was not a blind test. But, my decision went against my bias: I *wanted* to prefer my lovely Pico over some consumer-electronics fancy toy. My hearing is within normal ranges. I've been a music listener for years, but I am not a performer - there are others out there, surely, who will be able to recognize a difference, but I for one cannot.

Have any others done direct comparisons between their 3G S (or earlier iPhones) and their portable rigs?

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #2,820 of 10,743
Quote:

It does scale but if money is a big factor I would say not to sweat it if you can only truly afford the iphone + jh-13's. NOW when adding a imod + vcap dock + amp it is another story, I have noticed quite a nice improvement when using my new setup but unless you are willing to go that far the amp with a iphone or other normal source will be a subtle improvement that for more then some is not worth the bulk or hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back