JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #2,761 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_ba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. I just did a comparison like this using my Sennheiser HD 650's. Sources were MacBook Pro to Pico DAC, vs iPhone 3G S. Matched for volume (which meant maxed out on the Pico, and almost-maxed-out on the iPhone. Lossless files. I could hear no difference between the two. Now, I'm not much of an audiophile (yet) so I am sure you and others could hear a difference. And, even though it was not blind, my bias went the other way: I really wanted to believe the Pico's DAC would blow away the iPhone's DAC. Not the case, to my ears.

Full post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ip...6/#post5879231

Thanks for sharing. I read your post in that link. What amp were you using? You said you were using a Pico DAC but it is a DAC/amp unit, or standalone DAC? In either case, the HD650 might require a different kind of amp than the Pico to sound good. My experience with an hd650 + HR bithead was nothing more than extremely pitiful.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #2,762 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing. I read your post in that link. What amp were you using? You said you were using a Pico DAC but it is a DAC/amp unit, or standalone DAC? In either case, the HD650 might require a different kind of amp than the Pico to sound good. My experience with an hd650 + HR bithead was nothing more than extremely pitiful.

Good catch. I edited the post. Thanks. It was a Pico DAC/amp unit. Once my ALO iPhone cable arrives, I will compare the Pico amp to my Hornet amp, and compare both to the Pico DAC/amp and my laptop - with both the HD 650's, then in a couple of weeks, with my JH-13's.

If you have a preferred amp for the 650's, I'd love to know it. I am considering selling them once my JH-13's arrive, assuming that I prefer the JH-13's with my Pico and/or Hornet. But maybe I just need a more suitable amp for the 650's...

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #2,763 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_ba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good catch. I edited the post. Thanks. It was a Pico DAC/amp unit. Once my ALO iPhone cable arrives, I will compare the Pico amp to my Hornet amp, and compare both to the Pico DAC/amp and my laptop - with both the HD 650's, then in a couple of weeks, with my JH-13's.

If you have a preferred amp for the 650's, I'd love to know it. I am considering selling them once my JH-13's arrive, assuming that I prefer the JH-13's with my Pico and/or Hornet. But maybe I just need a more suitable amp for the 650's...

I haven't used any other amp with my now broken 650's. Someone offered to buy them, but she hasn't sent any payment. I have a strong inkling that you will love your jh13's much, much more than your hd650's. Your Pico unit is most likely mucy better suited for IEM's than the hd650.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #2,764 of 10,743
What is your favourite aspect of the 13s sound?

For me this is tough to answer because there really is so much to like. But, if I had to chose, I think it would be the overall definition. Someone said that it sounds like each instrument has its own driver. Well, with 6 drivers, that may very well be the case for most music.

The clarity on quality recordings is truly mind blowing.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #2,766 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your favourite aspect of the 13s sound?

For me this is tough to answer because there really is so much to like. But, if I had to chose, I think it would be the overall definition. Someone said that it sounds like each instrument has its own driver. Well, with 6 drivers, that may very well be the case for most music.

The clarity on quality recordings is truly mind blowing.

Hah hah, that was me. I am trying to work on typing up my review, but life keeps getting in the way.
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2,768 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah hah, that was me. I am trying to work on typing up my review, but life keeps getting in the way.
wink_face.gif

Oh, suurree. You're just trying to drag out this flagships war for your own amusements, aren't you? Who cares if blood is being spilled from waiting, and people are selling their limbs to finance their cause? You just love seeing the audiophiles shrivel in pain and suspense. Come on, the Battle of Normandy already happened yesterday - you gotta let us know which side is the Allies and which is the Aural Sex guys.
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

...I'm just joking, guys. Please don't kill me.
confused_face.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #2,769 of 10,743
I just put my order for the JH13 and now I will go to the audiologist.
I hope she is as pretty as promised
wink.gif

Jochen

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #2,771 of 10,743
I am listening to the 13's while being driven by the OEM prototype Black Gate version amp and a concerto and I have goose bumps. The depth, width, and what I have even often heard lacking a even very good speakers systems, there is excellent separation of instruments with each having their own voice.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2,772 of 10,743
Aug 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #2,774 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah very cool Iron just note that the jh-13 demo unit does have that spike and is not quite the same
wink.gif

I was told that the JH11 demo is very close to the real thing as far as frequency response. So that might be a good one to listen to. It seems nobody is buying the JH11 though, simply because the price difference between it and the JH13 isn't large enough.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #2,775 of 10,743

Users who are viewing this thread

Back