JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2,206 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by makotype /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Larry did this for his pair.

I've been keeping up with this thread since page 10 or so, and I'm wondering, what are the cons of the 13's? All I've seen people talk about are the pros. There HAS to be something wrong with 'em... right?

Honestly, there really is nothing wrong with them. If you think about the UE11 and UE10, there was nothing really wrong with them either... assuming you didn't mind the more neutral frequency response in the latter or the heavy bass in the former.

In that sense it's just another custom with bass somewhere between those two. Granted, I've never heard either of the UE's, I'm just going from what Jerry has told me about his former creations. The low bass is pretty slammy but it's so tight I don't think the anti-bassheads will complain too much. Plus it doesn't bleed into the mids because the emphasis is only on the sub bass.

The frequency response is pretty much exactly what I would consider perfect for an IEM, but your mileage may vary.

Other than that, the difference is more under the hood - basically with the newer/faster/dual drivers. It seems to be nice evolutionary step in the technology.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2,207 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has already been asked (I am going to try and read the whole thread, eventually), but does anyone know if they can take my pair of UE-10's and make a reverse impression of them so I don't have to take a chance with the audiologist since my UE's fit perfectly?

yeah, but when did you get your UE10?? remember you need to get a refit every now and then because your ears change, so you will have lost all the time you have had UE10

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #2,208 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they can. Give Jerry a call.

I e-mailed him twice without a response. He was one of my sponsors at the first Head-Fi National meet.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #2,209 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the bite block as well and my left side doesn't get a good seal too. Actually, I spent another hour doing seal comparisons with my ES3X (did with closed mouth impressions) and the JH13s almost feel loose in comparison and way more sound leaks in.

I'm wondering if I should get new impressions done or to send in my ES3X to have them scanned. Did any of you do closed mouth impressions for your JH13?

I wonder how accurate that would work with the ES3X heat sensitive tips?

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2,212 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how accurate that would work with the ES3X heat sensitive tips?

That's what I'm worried about. Also because the comfort may be associated with the tips, don't want my JH13s coming out uncomfortable. Think I'll try getting new impressions first, if that fails then I'll try the scan. Reason being is my ES3X was made back when I weighed about 30lbs heavier, so it actually feels slightly different than before.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #2,213 of 10,743
Quote:

Hmm, didn't really mean to say cons, then. Shortcomings rather? Is there anything lacking with the 13's? Or, are there any annoyances, i.e. absurd microphonics?

I haven't noticed any problem microphonics. They exceed everything else I have, and I don't have a nice speaker system to compare them to, so I would be hard pressed to say they are lacking anything.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #2,215 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by balrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the JH13s isolate outside noises as compared to the ER4S?

Is there a refit fee if you need it redone?

This is a custom we are talking about, the isolation is going to be way better than the ER4's.
There is not a charge for a refit just talked to them today about doing some work on mine.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #2,216 of 10,743
balrog, of course they will work with you to make sure the fit is good.

I posted this somewhere else and thought I would copy here:

I've been enjoying my pair immensely over the past 6 days. I've found I'm preferring my P-51 over my usual SR-71A for the slightly clearer, more balanced presentation.

The JH13's really let me hear my equipment better than the UE11. For instance, whereas I was admitting to myself that my impression that the Astrodyne PSU bettered the stock in my Ultra Micro DAC was likely placebo listening through the UE11..... I was convinced I had a more liquid and tonally perfect sound with the upgrade when using the JH13.

Sorry about your wallets.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #2,217 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of cables and by no means attempting to "trip" you into revealing more of your forthcoming review than you'd like to, how do the JH13 PRO cables compare to those of the ES3X? Yes, I know it's pedestrian but it means something to me.

The JH13Pro and ES3X cables are comparable and both have the memory wire going over the ear too short, unlike the UE11Pro where the memory wire is too long. All three silver cables seem to have a similar wire composition.

Quote:

Sorry if this has already been asked (I am going to try and read the whole thread, eventually), but does anyone know if they can take my pair of UE-10's and make a reverse impression of them so I don't have to take a chance with the audiologist since my UE's fit perfectly?

Quote:

I think Larry did this for his pair.

I've been keeping up with this thread since page 10 or so, and I'm wondering, what are the cons of the 13's? All I've seen people talk about are the pros. There HAS to be something wrong with 'em... right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I'm worried about. Also because the comfort may be associated with the tips, don't want my JH13s coming out uncomfortable. Think I'll try getting new impressions first, if that fails then I'll try the scan. Reason being is my ES3X was made back when I weighed about 30lbs heavier, so it actually feels slightly different than before.

Yes, mine came back too loose so I sent JHA my UE11Pro (which are my most comfortable full acrylic customs) to have them scanned and duplicated for my JH13Pro.

I hope to get my re-fitted JH13Pro this week, but don't know exactly when - I don't like to bother them and just leave them to do their job. I did get my UE11Pro back on Friday along with my original JH13Pro with a slightly tighter fit, so I can get back to working on my review until the final custom is done. I previously only had my JH13Pro for 2 days, and now have had them for 3 days.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #2,218 of 10,743
Quote:

I e-mailed him twice without a response. He was one of my sponsors at the first Head-Fi National meet.

Yeah, I emailed Jerry a couple of times last week about sending mine back for a refit and haven't had a response either.

I would Like to get my right monitor made slightly larger, but I'm not so excited about sending them back in. I really don't want to be without then for too long, so I haven't yet forced the issue.

I may just try HPA's trick of applying clear acrylic paint to increase the size of the canal. Any advice HPA?

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2,220 of 10,743
Nice Larry. I think I'll just go with closed mouth impressions when I get new ones tomorrow. My ES3X had perfect seal and fit so I'll just go with what works for me
tongue.gif
It's funny, my audiologist also recommends using closed mouth impressions anyway; he said the only reason he does open mouth is if his customer's hearing aid pops out when they open their mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back