JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #9,241 of 10,747
I'm looking to get an upgrade cable for my 13's...

Anybody here tried their 13's with Moon Audio's iem cables?

I was leaning more towards the Silver Dragon at first, but now I'm swaying towards the black Dragon(copper).

Any owners of this combo around?  I would like to hear your thoughts

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #9,242 of 10,747
Just received mine yesterday. I have narrow canals with an acute bend so the ear rape is harsh.

The sound is lovely & compares well to the fitear TG 334. The JH13 is a little more refined/neutral & the TG334 more organic.

Interestingly, Joker puts the Fitear at 9.7 & the JH at 10. I would have ranked them equally. The JH is definitely more analytical which is a mixed blessing.

Good to hear from someone who likes similar signatures. I'm waiting until this fall to order.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #9,248 of 10,747
Quote:
I'm looking to get an upgrade cable for my 13's...

Anybody here tried their 13's with Moon Audio's iem cables?

I was leaning more towards the Silver Dragon at first, but now I'm swaying towards the black Dragon(copper).

Any owners of this combo around?  I would like to hear your thoughts

Black dragon isn't for CIEMs and the V1 wasn't my cup of tea. Trade offs. Not bright like other silver cables. Actually warms the upper bass a little bit, brings the mids a little forward. Lower treble sounds VG but less extended. Any improvements come with what sounds to be a little less prat along for the ride. Good clean cable and while different, a wash against stock for me. I'm sure other feel differently about them. It's tough without a listen yourself but I bought them fully intending to keep them because like tip rolling, I didn't want to get into the cable thing. I am now into the cable thing, LOL Haven't found the one yet.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #9,249 of 10,747
UPDATE:

With my newly discovered "mod" I mentioned in my previous thread, I tried my JH13 Pro with my main desktop setup again. The piercing sibilance and fuzzy sound completely disappeared; the ZDSE drove my JH13 Pro with superb authority and unbelievably deep soundstage for an IEM (although not in the same level as HD800, obviously). Apparently the ZDSE at low gain setting is a decent choice for sensitive IEM's as well as low-impedance headphones like my TH900.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #9,250 of 10,747
Give them time. They only get better.
So your mod is to wear them like everybody else does? LOL Good one.
I think you'll find that a deep fit isn't the issue here. Getting the proper one is. Shorter tips work great as well. Just fully insert whatever you have.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #9,251 of 10,747
FedEx guy had a (welcome) surprise for me this morning:

I ordered the JH13 over the Memorial Day weekend/sale (5/29-5/31).  After purchasing the JH13, the only update I saw from the JHAudio order tracking system was that they had "received my impressions and my order was processed."  I did not receive any updates after this (stating my customs were complete/shipped/etc.), so I was appropriately surprised with a FedEx package (requiring a signature for release) from JHAudio this morning.  It was delivered almost a month to the day of JHA receiving my impressions.  Actually, when taking into account the 4th of July holiday.. lead time was probably about a month exactly.  Build quality is terrific.. it's on par with the (previously owned) UM Miracle & Heir 4.A.  Fit is frighteningly good.  Even better than my AS-2 & Heir 4.A (which are/were the best fitting customs I've owned).  Kudos to JHAudio for completely nailing it on the first shot.  Pin sockets were extremely tight, though.  After a couple of insertion/removals of the cable, they loosened up.  Still, some deoxit applied to the my cables 'pins might not be a bad idea.

I swapped the stock (copper?) cord with my PlusSound Audio (pure) silver cable and the difference in sound was fairly immediately noticeable (and like that, I'm eyeing the "Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1" IEM cable for the JH13Pro).  The silver cable afforded a clearer, cleaner, better controlled sonic picture.  Nothing drastic, but distinguishable, nonetheless.  I've owned other mid/top tier customs IEMs (1964Ears Quad, Heir 4.A, DreamEarz' AUD-5X/6X/7X/8X, Aurisonics AS-2, and the UM Miracle), so I feel I've got a fairly reliable handle on what one might expect as they move up (and down) the custom IEM 'food chain.'  At the moment, all signs point to the JH13 firmly sitting atop the heap of custom IEMs I've heard/owned.  Its clarity, cohesion, transparency, and tonal accuracy are all qualities all positively jumped out at me.  I'm not exactly sure how/where the Freqphase technology translates to what I'm hearing.  In terms of the presentation, I don't find myself thinking, "so "this" is what's off with all my other custom/IEMs,".. but the quality to the cohesiveness of the JH13's presentation is, indeed, something I haven't heard from any of my other other custom/universal IEM.  There's a unified, "well-designed, full-sized headphone driver" quality to it; this is something that becomes more apparent as dedicated upstream gear is used with the JH13.

For someone who listens to the HD800 on a daily basis, I've become spoiled with its tremendous musicality (when paired with the appropriate upstream gear) and technical abilities.  I'm happy to say the JH13 brings that kind of (personal) fulfillment in IEM form.  The JH13 can't quite match the airy, open, "silky" quality of the HD800.. but, hell (outside of a top tier Stax/e-stat) what can?  The JH13 isn't as bright as the HD800 through the high frequencies, either... and it has more bass emphasis than the Senn flagship, so the JH13 sounds (comparatively) warmer and slightly more "weighty."  I'm perfectly fine with this as the 13's tuning feels like it's executed in a (practically) flawless fashion (again, for my personal taste).  Midrange is very neutral, clear, clean and dynamic.  I hear terrific instrument separation, tonal purity, and resolving ability.  Treble is clean, smooth, and gently rolled off at the upper most frequencies... but not lacking in detail at all.  This is a very non-fatiguing phone well suited for extended listening sessions (especially in the the pro-environment).  A quick word about the bass:  I find the boost to be perfect for my taste.  The lift seems linear and it adds just the right touch of warmth to the overall sound.  I'm an avid hip hop & electronica listener and I find the bass quantity the JH13 offers to be wholly satisfying.  I sense the JH16 might be fine, too.. but with poorly recorded material in these genres (i.e. tracks which might sound excessively warm/thick due to poor mixing/mastering of low frequencies), I don't think I'd want more bass than what the JH13 offers.

While the JH13 sounds very satisfying from my Galaxy S3's headphone out, its abilities deserve better (upstream) audio components.. I found it to scale incredibly well with dedicated upstream gear.  I haven't ran it through the ODAC/Quickstep (yet), but listening to it now with the Violectric, stack and I'm stunned by the SQ.  Absolutely effortless sound... excellent extension, soundstage, driver control, and resolving ablity.  Scaling ability seems on par with the UM Miracle.. which is to say.. very very good.

That's all for now.  I'll have more in-depth sonic impressions (and comparisons) after I get more acquainted with them.  As far as them being balanced, neutral-tuned monitors, I'm finding it difficult to find any kind of real, identifiable weakness.. even if I scrutinize more closely (than usual) due to the price they command.  Based on what I've heard from them in the brief time I've had them in my ears, they hype surrounding the JH13Pro FP feels entirely justified.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #9,252 of 10,747
Quote:
For someone who listens to the HD800 on a daily basis, I've become spoiled with its tremendous musicality (when paired with the appropriate upstream gear) and technical abilities.  I'm happy to say the JH13 brings that kind of (personal) fulfillment in IEM form.  The JH13 can't quite match the airy, open, "silky" quality of the HD800.. but, hell (outside of a top tier Stax/e-stat) what can?  The JH13 isn't as bright as the HD800 through the high frequencies, either... and it has more bass emphasis than the Senn flagship, so the JH13 sounds (comparatively) warmer and slightly more "weighty."  I'm perfectly fine with this as the 13's tuning feels like it's executed in a (practically) flawless fashion (again, for my personal taste).  Midrange is very neutral, clear, clean and dynamic.  I hear terrific instrument separation, tonal purity, and resolving ability.  Treble is clean, smooth, and gently rolled off at the upper most frequencies... but not lacking in detail at all.  This is a very non-fatiguing phone well suited for extended listening sessions (especially in the the pro-environment).  A quick word about the bass:  I find the boost to be perfect for my taste.  The lift seems linear and it adds just the right touch of warmth to the overall sound.  I'm an avid hip hop & electronica listener and I find the bass quantity the JH13 offers to be wholly satisfying.  I sense the JH16 might be fine, too.. but with poorly recorded material in these genres (i.e. tracks which might sound excessively warm/thick due to poor mixing/mastering of low frequencies), I don't think I'd want more bass than what the JH13 offers.

As an owner of both HD800 and JH13, I agree with your above comment 100%. When I decided to order JH13 instead of JH16, I was a bit afraid I may not be satisfied by its relative lack of bass. It turns out that JH13's bass is just perfect for my taste as well, no more or less. Weightier than that of HD800, which I believe is a good thing given the HD800's slightly bright sound signature. If I had ordered the JH16, it might have been too bass-heavy for me.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #9,254 of 10,747
Quote:

As an owner of both HD800 and JH13, I agree with your above comment 100%. When I decided to order JH13 instead of JH16, I was a bit afraid I may not be satisfied by its relative lack of bass. It turns out that JH13's bass is just perfect for my taste as well, no more or less. Weightier than that of HD800, which I believe is a good thing given the HD800's slightly bright sound signature. If I had ordered the JH16, it might have been too bass-heavy for me.

I owned the original JH13pro and I was having the same dilemna b/w going with the 16 or 13 pro.  Glad I went with the 13pro as I found the bass to be more than adequate for my taste and even a bit much in many occasions.  Since the 13pro is closer to neutral, I went with it.  Like you, I found the HD800's bass response to be more reserved compared to the 13pro.  I probably would have to EQ the bass down if I order the 16pro.  

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #9,255 of 10,747
Originally Posted by mattwardfh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What color is that? 

Ordered mine 6/26 and trying to be very patient… if I have the same wait you did, I should have them in early August… just in time for my birthday. 

Translucent Copper.. I'll snap some pics indoors to show a better idea of the coloration (without sunlight reflecting all over the place).  Comparing how it looked when I designed it vs how it looks in my hands now, I found the "IEM designer" at the JHAudio website to be surprisingly accurate.

I've been using these almost continuously since they arrived this morning.. and, maybe it's just me/placebo/whatever, but the sound seems to have distinguishably improved (if that's even possible after my glowing initial impressions).  The sound appears even cleaner and more dynamic.  Potential voodoo, aside.. I simply love these phones.  It's going to take something quite special to come along for me to even consider getting another custom IEM.  Like I said before, this simply 'checks all the boxes' for me.  Also, I ran the JH13 through the ODAC/QUICKSTEP earlier.. not surprisingly, it sounded terrific.  In fact, I like how it sound out of my portable rig more than the Vio stack.  Less "one is better than the other,".. more, "personal taste and synergy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back