JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 2, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #9,226 of 10,747
I got a call from my family that my JH13 Pro just arrived!
Oh boy, I can't wait to go home to listen to it!

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #9,227 of 10,747
Quote:
I got a call from my family that my JH13 Pro just arrived!
Oh boy, I can't wait to go home to listen to it!

Do post pictures and share your impressions when you get your hands ears on them! :D

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #9,228 of 10,747
Quote:
Do post pictures and share your impressions when you get your hands ears on them! :D

Here are my first, honest impressions after I listened to my new JH13 Pro FreqPhase for a 1 hour. My opinions are subject to change as cable burn-in continues, or if I grow more and more used to its sound.

I should mention that I've used it with Moon Audio's Silver Dragon V1 IEM cable, and RWAK100 (AK100 modded by Red Wine Audio) as my portable setup. I'll soon try it with my main desktop rig as well, driving it with my Zana Deux SE though it may be overkill for IEM's.

First off, I was slightly disappointed by its lack of soundstage compared to my full-sized cans such as HD800 or TH900. The JH13 Pro doesn't have the pinpoint imaging capability found in my HD800 or TH900, either. I guess I can't really complain though, since that's the inherent nature of IEM design, which inserts music directly into your ear canals rather than the entire width of your auricles. As David Solomon put it in a similar way, I can't complain open-back HD800 for its inability to isolate, or closed-back TH900 for its smaller soundstage compared to that of HD800 (the TH900 still boasts the best soundstage I've heard in a closed headphone). I think I could draw a more spacious soundstage if I drive it with my ZDSE, which is known for its exceptionally deep and wide soundstage and what I primarily use for both my HD800 and TH900. Still, I don't think I will be as impressed as I'm with my HD800 or TH900, and besides, I will be using my JH13 Pro mainly outdoors. I wish I could compare it to other IEM's, but unfortunately my JH13 Pro is the very first audiophile-grade IEM I've heard.

But here comes the good part... other than imaging or soundstage, I feel the JH13 Pro is on the same league with my full-sized cans (HD800, LCD-3 and TH900) in almost all other areas. All in all, I was very impressed by how high-end the JH13 Pro sounds.

Of my trio of flagship headphones from their respective companies, the JH13 Pro's sound signature was closest to that of the HD800. The HD800 also happens to be the headphone I use most frequently of the bunch. The JH13 Pro sounds very neutral and balanced. I heard its more expensive brother JH16 Pro is more colored and darker-sounding due to its addition of 2 more bass units (whereas the JH13 Pro has 2 units each for treble, mid and bass). I am guessing the JH16 Pro would sound more like my LCD-3 or TH900, which I consider more euphonic and fun-sounding. But for neutrality, critical listening and ultimate technicality, I prefer the HD800... and the JH13 Pro fits the bill as well.

Inadvertently sharing the HD800's traits, I felt that the JH13 Pro is sometimes bright and thin sounding at times. The reviews I've read on the Internet says that the JH13 Pro still has plenty of bass (although not as much as JH16), I'm personally a basshead and I do feel that the relative lack of bass in HD800 is one of its shortcomings, which is why I'm attempting a mod to take the edge off its hot treble and add a bit of warmth to it. I feel the same way with the JH13 Pro, although I'm not aware of any mod that achieves this effect. Maybe, if I use Moon Audio's Black Dragon (copper) instead of Silver Dragon (silver) cable, the sound will become warmer, less sibilant and a bit bass-heavier?

This is all I'll say for now. Again, my opinions can change over time, so stay tuned.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #9,229 of 10,747
I tried JH13 Pro with my ZDSE too. As I expected, the soundstage became noticeably wider, but it still sounded thin compared to my full-sized headphones. However, the ZDSE was indeed overkill for these sensitive IEM's. For some strange reason, the treble peaks became sharper and more sibilant in the ZDSE at low gain setting in comparison to the portable RWAK100. At high gain setting of the ZDSE, the treble heat was unbearable. This is in contrast to my HD800, whose treble edge was somewhat smoothed out by my ZDSE tube amp. I ultimately favored my RWAK100 driving the JH13 Pro. But even with the RWAK100, the JH13 Pro still sound somewhat sibilant in treble hot tracks.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #9,230 of 10,747
The saving grace about the lack of soundstage(compared to soundstage monster setups like the Zana/HD800) is that once you listen for a while you can hear the instrument separations and the spaces between, layers so to speak.  They are very addictive.  As i only use them in certain situations because of other issues i have with them and iems as a whole, for there purpose they work well.  After three years, my stock cable shorted and i got pure copper from plussound.  It complements them well.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #9,232 of 10,747
Quote:

Here are my first, honest impressions after I listened to my new JH13 Pro FreqPhase for a 1 hour. My opinions are subject to change as cable burn-in continues, or if I grow more and more used to its sound.

I should mention that I've used it with Moon Audio's Silver Dragon V1 IEM cable, and RWAK100 (AK100 modded by Red Wine Audio) as my portable setup. I'll soon try it with my main desktop rig as well, driving it with my Zana Deux SE though it may be overkill for IEM's.

First off, I was slightly disappointed by its lack of soundstage compared to my full-sized cans such as HD800 or TH900. The JH13 Pro doesn't have the pinpoint imaging capability found in my HD800 or TH900, either. I guess I can't really complain though, since that's the inherent nature of IEM design, which inserts music directly into your ear canals rather than the entire width of your auricles. As David Solomon put it in a similar way, I can't complain open-back HD800 for its inability to isolate, or closed-back TH900 for its smaller soundstage compared to that of HD800 (the TH900 still boasts the best soundstage I've heard in a closed headphone). I think I could draw a more spacious soundstage if I drive it with my ZDSE, which is known for its exceptionally deep and wide soundstage and what I primarily use for both my HD800 and TH900. Still, I don't think I will be as impressed as I'm with my HD800 or TH900, and besides, I will be using my JH13 Pro mainly outdoors. I wish I could compare it to other IEM's, but unfortunately my JH13 Pro is the very first audiophile-grade IEM I've heard.

But here comes the good part... other than imaging or soundstage, I feel the JH13 Pro is on the same league with my full-sized cans (HD800, LCD-3 and TH900) in almost all other areas. All in all, I was very impressed by how high-end the JH13 Pro sounds.

Of my trio of flagship headphones from their respective companies, the JH13 Pro's sound signature was closest to that of the HD800. The HD800 also happens to be the headphone I use most frequently of the bunch. The JH13 Pro sounds very neutral and balanced. I heard its more expensive brother JH16 Pro is more colored and darker-sounding due to its addition of 2 more bass units (whereas the JH13 Pro has 2 units each for treble, mid and bass). I am guessing the JH16 Pro would sound more like my LCD-3 or TH900, which I consider more euphonic and fun-sounding. But for neutrality, critical listening and ultimate technicality, I prefer the HD800... and the JH13 Pro fits the bill as well.

Inadvertently sharing the HD800's traits, I felt that the JH13 Pro is sometimes bright and thin sounding at times. The reviews I've read on the Internet says that the JH13 Pro still has plenty of bass (although not as much as JH16), I'm personally a basshead and I do feel that the relative lack of bass in HD800 is one of its shortcomings, which is why I'm attempting a mod to take the edge off its hot treble and add a bit of warmth to it. I feel the same way with the JH13 Pro, although I'm not aware of any mod that achieves this effect. Maybe, if I use Moon Audio's Black Dragon (copper) instead of Silver Dragon (silver) cable, the sound will become warmer, less sibilant and a bit bass-heavier?

This is all I'll say for now. Again, my opinions can change over time, so stay tuned.

Run them in at high volume for a over 100 hours and you'll get some warmth and openess. I personally didn't feel the V1 was an improvement on the stock cable overall. Dod some things better and others not as well.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #9,233 of 10,747
Okay, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I had said that my impression of JH13 Pro are subject to change as time goes by. Well, it already did, in less than 24 hours. And I also realized what an idiot I was.

In my previous posts, I said that the JH13 Pro's sound signature resembles that of the HD800: transparent and neutral, but sometimes too bright, and leaves more bass to be desired. I also mentioned that it is not really an euphonic, fun-sounding IEM, and also sounding thin compared to full-sized headphones like HD800, TH900, LCD-3. I hoped that there would be a mod for the JH13 Pro that takes off its harsh treble edge and gives it more warmth, like some of the well-known mods for the HD800.

Well guess what, I found the mod that exactly does that, on my way to work this early morning! This mod - or whatever you call it - gives the JH13 Pro much better imaging, soundstage, less treble heat, more warmth at bottom end, bass oomph, and best of all, a fuller sound. This mod simply took my JH13 Pro to a whole new level, and I no longer find any faults with my JH13 Pro! I bet you're dying to know what this mod is, so I'll share my big secret.

Insert your JH13 Pro deeper into your ear canal.

That's right, insert it deeper, as deep as you can by twisting the JH13 Pro upwards. When I received my JH13 Pro, I forgot that these were custom IEM's, tailored to the internal shape of my ear canal. For the first few hours of listening, I just plugged them into my ears like a regular universal IEM. I didn't know that turning them makes them go deeper into my ear, since this was the first CIEM I've used. That's why my initial impressions of these earphones had been somewhat negative. It turns out my JH13 Pro weren't even inserted halfway through. With full insertion, I get much better comfort, complete isolation, and best of all, a fuller sound that is both neutral and enjoyable, with plenty of bass to satiate my basshead needs. I feel so stupid.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #9,234 of 10,747
Quote:

Okay, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I had said that my impression of JH13 Pro are subject to change as time goes by. Well, it already did, in less than 24 hours. And I also realized what an idiot I was.

In my previous posts, I said that the JH13 Pro's sound signature resembles that of the HD800: transparent and neutral, but sometimes too bright, and leaves more bass to be desired. I also mentioned that it is not really an euphonic, fun-sounding IEM, and also sounding thin compared to full-sized headphones like HD800, TH900, LCD-3. I hoped that there would be a mod for the JH13 Pro that takes off its harsh treble edge and gives it more warmth, like some of the well-known mods for the HD800.

Well guess what, I found the mod that exactly does that, on my way to work this early morning! This mod - or whatever you call it - gives the JH13 Pro much better imaging, soundstage, less treble heat, more warmth at bottom end, bass oomph, and best of all, a fuller sound. This mod simply took my JH13 Pro to a whole new level, and I no longer find any faults with my JH13 Pro! I bet you're dying to know what this mod is, so I'll share my big secret.

Insert your JH13 Pro deeper into your ear canal.

That's right, insert it deeper, as deep as you can by twisting the JH13 Pro upwards. When I received my JH13 Pro, I forgot that these were custom IEM's, tailored to the internal shape of my ear canal. For the first few hours of listening, I just plugged them into my ears like a regular universal IEM. I didn't know that turning them makes them go deeper into my ear, since this was the first IEM I've used. That's why my initial impressions of these earphones had been somewhat negative. It turns out my JH13 Pro weren't even inserted halfway through. With full insertion, I get much better comfort, complete isolation, and best of all, a fuller sound that is both neutral and enjoyable, with plenty of bass to satiate my basshead needs. I feel so stupid.
tongue.gif

Ha!

I was thinking, what the hell did this guy do?(as far as the "mod" goes) when I was reading this.
size]

Btw...this was posted on the deals thread a few hours ago by headfi member imackler:  

Coupon code won't be published on Facebook until Thurday but JH Audio will have a 4th of July 15% discount off its in ear monitors.  

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #9,235 of 10,747
Now I'm going to go home and try my newly "modded" JH13 Pro with my ZDSE desktop setup. I'm sure the differences will be more than subtle.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #9,236 of 10,747
mod? haha, sounds more like common sense.  But maybe I'm just a natural born google-fu master.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #9,237 of 10,747
the burn-in is HUGE on my JH13s. Almost 150 hours now, it sounds MUCH better than out of box. The sound stage was like 20 time smaller than hd800 in the beginning, mid was dry, and treble could not sparkle. Now it sounds like a completely different IEMs. oh man, can't believe this....

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #9,238 of 10,747
the burn-in is HUGE on my JH13s. Almost 150 hours now, it sounds MUCH better than out of box. The sound stage was like 20 time smaller than hd800 in the beginning, mid was dry, and treble could not sparkle. Now it sounds like a completely different IEMs. oh man, can't believe this....
I was aghast when you compared the RE-600 favorably to the JH13s last week. "Even" my non-FP JH13s are in a completely different league.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #9,239 of 10,747
Quote:
I was aghast when you compared the RE-600 favorably to the JH13s last week. "Even" my non-FP JH13s are in a completely different league.

I did not compare re600 favorably to 13s, I just said I heard more extended treble on re600 at that time.

Sure enough now, JH13s opened up a lot since then, very satisfy with the sound even before I changed the stock cable. They are absolutely the end-game IEMs I am looking for. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #9,240 of 10,747
Just received mine yesterday. I have narrow canals with an acute bend so the ear rape is harsh.

The sound is lovely & compares well to the fitear TG 334. The JH13 is a little more refined/neutral & the TG334 more organic.

Interestingly, Joker puts the Fitear at 9.7 & the JH at 10. I would have ranked them equally. The JH is definitely more analytical which is a mixed blessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back