JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Apr 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #8,836 of 10,743

Guess you not into music with bass. Yeah the Jh13 are nice for certain styles.

Quote:

Compared to everything I've ever heard, including bassy iems such as the MG7's and IE8's, neutral cans like the DT440/DT880, and v-shaped iems like the TF10 and the great allrounder SE530.

JH16 demo version's bass was too boosted and unnatural to me.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #8,837 of 10,743
I too found the JH16 demo units to have too much bass but find the bass of the JH13 just right. But then I also don't listen much to electronica and other bass driven music

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #8,838 of 10,743
Well finally caught up with the thread.  Sounds like the sound science type guys are over here espousing that the cheapest is perfect and we can't trust our ears again.
confused.gif

I had a Sansa Fuze for a while, wanted to use it because it played my flac files.  The sound was totally flat with the JH13s, anyone who use that is really missing out.  I suspect the Sansa sound ie the Clip, which is lower end still, would carry that sound.  What a waste of money spent on a pair of 13's.  The 13's really show the source like HD800s, up the chain counts.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #8,839 of 10,743
^ Maybe we're all using the term "flat" differently. You seem to use take it to mean (roughly) "lifeless" or "boring"--but whether someone else finds the same combination to be equally flat in that sense, depends on taste/preference.

It's fair to say that "flat" could also be used to mean "neutral", in that no frequency is boosted or lowered.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #8,842 of 10,743
I don't want to use this as part of a portable set up so I only use this at home. I just don't see a big difference from the top tier universals to the JH13 with the clip+ to justify lugging such an expensive thing around.

So I use it at home with my Asus ST, sounds miles better than with the Clip+.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #8,843 of 10,743
Need some perspective / advice here from JH13 owners.  I recently got a pair, and just got them back after an adjustment to one of them and they fit great now (very comfortable).  What I'm thrown off by and a little nervous about is that the sound quality is  "off".  What I mean by that is that they are sounding very rolled off on the HF's and therefore I'm not getting much detail from them and so while they have solid bass, the limited highs result in them sounding nasally with a bloated mid range.  I'm running them with carefully ripped WAV files on an iPad to a Pico Amp/DAC with a good usb cable (wireworld silver starlight).  I have plenty of non-custom IEMs, but these are my first custom.  I don't know if there's a break-in period or not (they have about 40 hours on them running off of my computer with a burn-in track).  I'm wondering if it's the shape of my ear, or if there's an issue with the manufacturing on this pair....   I have a pretty solid base line of comparison in terms of good headphones and sources and listening experience (reproduction and live reference points) so I'm fairly confident in my early assessment here.  With all the rave reviews there's no question they _should_ sound great, so I'm not sure where to start.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #8,844 of 10,743
To my ears I didn't notice any break-in period. When I received mine, I plugged them into my iPhone 4 and played the HDTracks album (http://www.head-fi.org/t/476089/head-fi-and-hdtracks-david-chesky-collaborate-to-assemble-a-headphone-system-test-album)--can't remember which tracks, but it sounded great. For reference, I've used the UM1 and IE8, and the DT 880.

It's my understanding that BA drivers don't move as much, so that would also challenge the notion of a long, mechanical break-in period.

However, on my iPod Classic (6th Gen, I think) I did not find the JH13 as immediately engaging and satisfying as the Senn IE8 (again, for ref: I had the bass knob set to the middle). I couldn't detect any particular flaw in its audio reproduction, but I wasn't blown away. Depends on what you're used to before the 13, I guess. To be fair, I've felt that way about my 880 for 3 years, until it got a beefy tube amp.

What gear did you use previously?

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #8,845 of 10,743
Eric - thanks for the quick response.  I'm not sure I'd characterize the SQ I'm hearing here as a difference in preference, but I could be wrong.  I'm wondering if it's my ears... or the IEM's, don't know.  My reference headphone gear is a electrostatic system (SR009, SR007mk1, HE90) and I have a couple dynamic setups (LiquidFire -> LCD3, etc.).  On IEM's, my daily is a NuForce $70 headphone with iPhone mic (which is sounding more transparent than the JH13's on the upper mids and highs, which is why I think there must be an issue).

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #8,847 of 10,743

Quote:
Well finally caught up with the thread.  Sounds like the sound science type guys are over here espousing that the cheapest is perfect and we can't trust our ears again.
confused.gif

I had a Sansa Fuze for a while, wanted to use it because it played my flac files.  The sound was totally flat with the JH13s, anyone who use that is really missing out.  I suspect the Sansa sound ie the Clip, which is lower end still, would carry that sound.  What a waste of money spent on a pair of 13's.  The 13's really show the source like HD800s, up the chain counts.

I couldnt agree more.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #8,848 of 10,743
Just wanted to ask what kind of portable setup do you guys use with your jh13?

IPod -> SR71-B -> balanced TWag V2 cable or Colorfly C4 with balanced to single ended converter

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #8,850 of 10,743

Quote:
I just don't see a big difference from the top tier universals to the JH13 with the clip+ to justify lugging such an expensive thing around.

So I use it at home with my Asus ST, sounds miles better than with the Clip+.

I actually agree w/ this.  If I'm going to use a Clip+ only I usually just bring my DBA/B2.  The lack of dynamics makes no sense to pair w/ my UERM or ES5.  Good thing I've got my phone running digital into my UHA6S readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back