JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #7,051 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
timmy, those look great! Enjoy them.

the picture doesn't do them justice tbh, the colours are beautiful and I can't believe how good a job zac did with the art
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, I've had longer with them now. I put them in my ears at 4pm and took them out at 7pm..no pain whatsoever, the fit is superb. Yes, like all customs you can feel them in your ears if you're thinking about it but after a while they melt away into the music. If anyone in the UK is looking for a decent audiologist, Nick @ Hand Held Audio..highly recommended. (£40 for impressions or included in the price if you're order JH products).

Anyway..now for thoughts with the X. Yes on quiet passages they hiss, but fortunately most of my music has little or no quiet. I guess an attenuator will be needed for some people, classical fans etc.
After critical listening I was a little bit surprised and disappointed by the sound..the demo unit from memory sounded so much better. I thought well either its the difference between the demo unit and a full custom or the fact that I was using a Fuze and I'm now using the X and the synergy isn't as good. Pwn the Fuze back of the girlfriend when I see her next weekend and test that theory.

But oh wait..looking at the sound settings on the X, all enhancements are off apart from Clear Stereo. This was on by default of of the box, and for the S2's it didn't make much difference so I was just like meh leave it on. If you have JH13's..turn it off!!!!!!!!! After turning it off it changed the sound completely. With it on, the mids are horribly forward and upper mids disgustingly sibilant and this kills of microdetail, soundstage very collapsed and the bass boomy but with little impact, and moreso then anything it shaves of the edgy nature of the 13's. Turn it off and
eek.gif
the difference, mids sit back in line with the rest of the mix and become smooth and detailed, soundstage explodes, bass is just uber tight yet eardrum bashingly punchy, and the extremely exciting edge returns. One imagines that 'clear stereo' boosts the upper mids and reduces the bass to give the impression of a clear mid-range without the bass ruining things. This may work well for the stock buds and lesser IEM's but not for the JH13's. It's a completely different IEM and better than the demo unit. Bass, ooooh the bass, I think its the first time I've actually heard a multi-layerd textured bass properly.

So yea, the Sony X and the JH13's sound very nice together
beerchug.gif
just make sure you turn all 'enhancements' off!!

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #7,052 of 10,747
they shipped my jh-13's back out today from my refit, but they mailed them to the wrong address
frown.gif
when i first got them i had them change the address cause i was going to on vacation at my parents house, but they mailed them back to that address again instead of to the return address that i mailed them in from...now im gonna have to wait for them to get to oregon, and then have my parents mail them back to me in ohio..ugh

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7,053 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question. Since everyone seems to be unhappy/unsatisfied with the stock cable, does the UE cable work with JH. I'm pretty happy with the UE cable. I don't know if I want to pony up for the Twag cable just yet. I know I probably should but the price is a bit steep right now.

Plenty of listeners are perfectly satisfied with the stock cable. The issue is because of the availability heuristic (look it up if you have some free time) you would think that people aren't satisfied. I can basically guarantee you that nearly evey professional user and the majority of audiophiles are using the stock cable. My only problem with the stock cable is that it's a bit short and can't easily be retermimated to balanced since it's only 3 wires past the splitter.

By the way, the UE cable does fit - it has the same pins.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #7,055 of 10,747
Boooo, putting a JH|13 on a pair of JH|5's?
wink.gif
Looks great, think it would look better if the flying girl was a bit lighter (more towrads the white side). My opinion though.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #7,056 of 10,747
Quote:

This is what I have planned for mine. This is just a picture taken from FB with a little work done to it.

What do you think?

I like it--I'm still trying to figure out what I want on mine. This saves $50, is subtle and makes it easy to know which ear each fits.

JMHO, George

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #7,060 of 10,747
Jan 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #7,061 of 10,747
stunning timmy,the artwork on the left pair is beautiful,i like it.i am not a big fan of the two colours jh13pro but your pair is beautiful,enjoy.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #7,062 of 10,747
Quote:

This is what I have planned for mine. This is just a picture taken from FB with a little work done to it.

What do you think?

proposed.jpg

Spooky! I was contemplating doing the same with the JHA logo on one side and flying lady on the other if i can't decide on any personal artwork i can think of to go on there.

The only thing i would have different is the logo font and flying lady in a different colour, perhaps silver?
What way is the flying lady as i can not tell if it is vertical or horizontal, i take it when in the ear it is going to be horizontal.

What colour & transparency % are those you have? more so the one with the flying lady on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timmy GCSE - nice pics and interesting choice of artwork, where is the artwork from on the green one, swear i remember seeing it somewhere before?
Interesting choice on the colours with blue & green
normal_smile .gif

Taken them off yet?
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #7,064 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spooky! I was contemplating doing the same with the JHA logo on one side and flying lady on the other if i can't decide on any personal artwork i can think of to go on there.

The only thing i would have different is the logo font and flying lady in a different colour, perhaps silver?
What way is the flying lady as i can not tell if it is vertical or horizontal, i take it when in the ear it is going to be horizontal.

What colour & transparency % are those you have? more so the one with the flying lady on it.

The black one is designed to be a very dark translucent. A few people on here have it, but most notably hifidk (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6011966-post4413.html). He told JH to make them more dark than usual. I'm my instructions, I told them "70% opacity."

Check also loopita's (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5966935-post4017.html)

I suppose JH's art department can fix the Flying Girl whichever way is correct
L3000.gif

MaoDi - Hah, I went from contemplating JH5 to ordering JH13. I still can't quite believe I am paying that kind of money for earphones.

gsawdy, Those were my intentions actually. I want to make it easier to distinguish left and right. I'm also thinking of adding a slight notch to the plastic so I can feel which is which in the dark, lying in bed.

Timmy, yours look beautiful. You went through a lot to get them, but I'm sure it was worth it. Any more thoughts on the sound?

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #7,065 of 10,747
Quote:

The black one is designed to be a very dark translucent. A few people on here have it, but most notably hifidk (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6011966-post4413.html). He told JH to make them more dark than usual. I'm my instructions, I told them "70% opacity."

Check also loopita's (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5966935-post4017.html)

I suppose JH's art department can fix the Flying Girl whichever way is correct
L3000.gif

MaoDi - Hah, I went from contemplating JH5 to ordering JH13. I still can't quite believe I am paying that kind of money for earphones.

gsawdy, Those were my intentions actually. I want to make it easier to distinguish left and right. I'm also thinking of adding a slight notch to the plastic so I can feel which is which in the dark, lying in bed.

Timmy, yours look beautiful. You went through a lot to get them, but I'm sure it was worth it. Any more thoughts on the sound?

no need for a notch in the plastic dude lol its pretty obvious which ones are for which ears, even in the dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back