JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #46 of 3,417
Quote:
Agreed. +8db does seem like that's a lot of boost. Most people that would buy a amp at this price point would simply buy Sony XB700s if they wanted their headphones to sound like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope I didn't start this rumor! Bass boost is +6.5dB at 80Hz and diminishes from there.

We tried a 1-band bass EQ in an early prototype (64 steps), and I wasn't pleased. Everyone preferred the on/off switch. Mechanical switches perform best in measurements as well. This experiment gave us the opportunity to try as few or as many levels as we wanted. At +3dB/+6dB/+8dB, the go-to level was still around +6dB. Real-world users simply desired +0 or +6dB, so that's what we built.

Final production samples landed on my desk early this morning, and initial testing looks normal. THD+N @ 1kHz measures better than 0.001%:

C5_Rev100_THDN.png

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #47 of 3,417
Quote:

Hope I didn't start this rumor! Bass boost is +6.5dB at 80Hz and diminishes from there.

We tried a 1-band bass EQ in an early prototype (64 steps), and I wasn't pleased. Everyone preferred the on/off switch. Mechanical switches perform best in measurements as well. This experiment gave us the opportunity to try as few or as many levels as we wanted. At +3dB/+6dB/+8dB, the go-to level was still around +6dB. Real-world users simply desired +0 or +6dB, so that's what we built.

Final production samples landed on my desk early this morning, and initial testing looks normal. THD+N @ 1kHz measures better than 0.001%:

C5_Rev100_THDN.png

Nice!

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #49 of 3,417
im actually more interested to see WHAT the BB boosts, as opposed to how much. the cMoy BBs boost starts at around 1khz, boosting alot more than just the bass (fiios e11 for example, has a similar boost), so im more interested to know where the boost starts, not so much where it peaks. 

edit: oh, is it at 80hz??

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 3,417
Quote:
im actually more interested to see WHAT the BB boosts, as opposed to how much. the cMoy BBs boost starts at around 1khz, boosting alot more than just the bass (fiios e11 for example, has a similar boost), so im more interested to know where the boost starts, not so much where it peaks. 

edit: oh, is it at 80hz??

From their Facebook post:
Quote:
JDS Labs, Inc. wrote: "[insert name here]: Bass boost is +6.5dB @ 80Hz, and diminishes from there."

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #51 of 3,417
One thing JDS does exceptionally well, IMO, is bass boost. They seem to get it "just right".  Never muddled, never intrusive.  Whatever they decide, I am sure it will compliment the amp nicely. Even the $50 cmoy-BB thumps just right with it on.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #52 of 3,417
I agree, bass boost on the C421 is perfect, adds that little extra punch when listening to electronica tracks IMO

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #53 of 3,417
Will echo what previous posters have said - the bass boost on the C421 was executed very well. Clean, not overpowering, and definitely an enjoyable addition for bass lovers.

Interesting to hear that a new amp is coming out, looking forward to impressions.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #55 of 3,417
Right now, I'm more worried about what the sound signature is like. I first bought my IEM because it sounded perfect with the O2 amp. When I pair it with the JDS C421 OPA2227 version, the final sound became too warm, so I sold it. When I'm finally ready to buy the AD6820, I'm found out that it will be replaced by the C5 which will not be customizable. If the C5 is warm like the C421 OPA2227, I will have to either buy a 2ndhand C421, or look for an offering from another brand. Maybe JDS will consider having 2 options of the C5 too?

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #58 of 3,417
Quote:
Guys you think JDS will stop produce the C421?

Just a wild guess with no specific info, but IMO yes since it is being presented as a replacement.  V-Moda has the Verza coming out and they are already out of stock on Vamp.  My guess is that production has stopped on those as well.  Of course, confirmation will need to come from JDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back