JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 3,417
Quote:
I have the AD8620, let's see if this takes it's place,I really enjoy the AD8620 sound

I have the AD8620 mounted on a browndog and I use it with my CMoyBB v2.03 18vR, hence why I got the OPA2227 C421 version, besides I like the warmth it gives to the C421 sound.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #17 of 3,417
Quote:
Hi Gain,Bass Boost,Switch Off-On on the behind?

Gain is toggled by pushing the volume control. Bass boost uses the same toggle switch found on c421. Power switch is at the rear (no more hidden LEDs).

The C5 pictured here was an older prototype, missing its bass boost switch. This was quick check of endplate machining accuracy.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #18 of 3,417
Quote:

Gain is toggled by pushing the volume control. Bass boost uses the same toggle switch found on c421. Power switch is at the rear (no more hidden LEDs).

The C5 pictured here was an older prototype, missing its bass boost switch. This was quick check of endplate machining accuracy.

Sounds great John, we are all eager for it to come out!

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 3,417
I am just thinking...what if it comes with Cameleon colour...it'd be super cool!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Gain,Bass Boost,Switch Off-On on the behind?

Speaking of the volume control, how does that work? It doesn't look like the "dial" used in the c241. Is it the kind of "dial" where it goes to the center and then you move it left/right to decrease/increase the volume?
Similar to my super-old Creative Zen Nano Plus:

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 3,417
Quote:
Speaking of the volume control, how does that work? It doesn't look like the "dial" used in the c241. Is it the kind of "dial" where it goes to the center and then you move it left/right to decrease/increase the volume?

Yes, the C5 volume control is an Alps lever like the kind you've described.

Pushing the lever left or right tells C5 to step the volume position by 1dB every 55ms, with zero-crossing detection. We revised the firmware until achieving a smooth and comfortable rate of volume adjustment. The entire range of volume from mute to max takes ~3.5 seconds, and single steps are still possible. Volume and gain positions are saved to the onboard ATmega168 flash.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, the C5 volume control is an Alps lever like the kind you've described.

Pushing the lever left or right tells C5 to step the volume position by 1dB every 55ms, with zero-crossing detection. We revised the firmware until achieving a smooth and comfortable rate of volume adjustment. The entire range of volume from mute to max takes ~3.5 seconds, and single steps are still possible. Volume and gain positions are saved to the onboard ATmega168 flash.

Sweet, sound great! I miss that kind of volume control. I don't know of any audiophile equipment that uses it. My only concern for it is mechanical failure and how long it'll last since it feels like a spring mechanism. I'm assuming it will last quite some time though.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #23 of 3,417
Quote:
Sweet, sound great! I miss that kind of volume control. I don't know of any audiophile equipment that uses it. My only concern for it is mechanical failure and how long it'll last since it feels like a spring mechanism. I'm assuming it will last quite some time though.

Operating life of the Alps lever is spec'ed at 100,000 cycles. Alps potentiometers are rated at only 10,000 cycles.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

Operating life of the Alps lever is spec'ed at 100,000 cycles. Alps potentiometers are rated at only 10,000 cycles.

All righty then, I'm in for the C5 already. :)
I've been looking for a clean-sounding portable amp recently since the O2 is too large to fit in most of the jackets I wear, hahaha. I was going to look in to the C241 more, but it looks like the C5 will be my next audio purchase.

As for colours, the all silver, or all black options sound good to me. It would be really neat to have an electric blue option though if resources allow for it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 3,417
^ Hi John,
What is the target price for the C5?
Are u going to continue to manufacture the C421 or is it being superseded by the C5?

Cheers

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #30 of 3,417
How does the C421 compare to say the O2? That is the only one I have actually heard of that is built by JDS Labs.
I'm guessing this is an upgrade so should sound better than the C421 if that is infact newer than the O2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back