JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #76 of 3,417
In case anyone doesn't follow the Facebook post:
Yay Arduino! I'll be learning how to program in that soon for a club project.

Arduino? I'm really excited now. Arduino or Python = lots of programming fun. 
smile.gif

I love how simple the two are.

So this is basically like a new variation of the Arduino base board. This is a lot of win right here.

Really curious as to how this performs in respect to other portable headphone amplifiers (O2 included).

Apart from adjusting how the volume control works, I wonder what else you can do with the Arduino code though.

*I just downloaded the Arduino programming software and it kind of looks like Java, although I only took 1 intro to Java class*

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #77 of 3,417

Quote:
Apart from adjusting how the volume control works, I wonder what else you can do with the Arduino code though.

*I just downloaded the Arduino programming software and it kind of looks like Java, although I only took 1 intro to Java class*

To keep physical size and cost minimal, re-programming requires a 6-pin header and any ISP programmer. The firmware directly controls volume attenuation, gain, LED(s), pushbuttons, and supply rail activation. This basically gives full control over the circuit and user interface. Most importantly, the volume control speed and taper can be modified, and the code serves as an opensource platform for new hybrid analog+digital amps.

So, we're giving the code away to the DIY community. Maybe it'll spark new ideas, or maybe not. Either way, it's entertainment!

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #78 of 3,417
Is the C5 available for pre-order? If so, please point me in the right direction.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #79 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

To keep physical size and cost minimal, re-programming requires a 6-pin header and any ISP programmer. The firmware directly controls volume attenuation, gain, LED(s), pushbuttons, and supply rail activation. This basically gives full control over the circuit and user interface. Most importantly, the volume control speed and taper can be modified, and the code serves as an opensource platform for new hybrid analog+digital amps.

So, we're giving the code away to the DIY community. Maybe it'll spark new ideas, or maybe not. Either way, it's entertainment!

Woah, that sounds really neat! I can't wait to try it out.

Out of curiosity though, how is the gain digitally controlled? So far, both from what I've learned through the O2's gain settings as well as some electrical theory classes, the gain of a circuit is usually controlled through the physical components of a circuit.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #80 of 3,417
Quote:

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #81 of 3,417
Another Facebook update for you guys:
For testing the C5:
Quote:
We use Grado SR-60i, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT-880, several IEM's (16-32 ohms), and our dScope Series III audio analyzer.

The sets we use test the usable range of headphones you guys will present to the amps. IEM's cover high sensitivity, low impedance sets; Grados cover the bulk of the portable headphone market (32 ohms and moderate power demands); the 64-250 ohm sets test the desktop segment. And let's not forget the dScope. That box provides incredible data.

This sounds pretty promising for the C5 being a mini desktop amplifier (for most headphones that is).

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #82 of 3,417
Impressive news, really can't wait for this!

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #83 of 3,417
Quote:
Woah, that sounds really neat! I can't wait to try it out.

Out of curiosity though, how is the gain digitally controlled? So far, both from what I've learned through the O2's gain settings as well as some electrical theory classes, the gain of a circuit is usually controlled through the physical components of a circuit.

MOSFETs take the place of switches.

Getting close. We plan to open the preorder by next Friday (2/15).

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #88 of 3,417
Quote:
Perfect timing. How many will be available for preorder?

Taking in consideration the time JDS are in the market,plus the C421 unit sold since,and the O2 circuitry,i would say 720,25,that if the stock market won't go down until this week end.
Why ,you want to buy them all?
haha
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #89 of 3,417
Quote:
Taking in consideration the time JDS are in the market,plus the C421 unit sold since,and the O2 circuitry,i would say 720,25,that if the stock market won't go down until this week end.
Why ,you want to buy them all?
haha
biggrin.gif

No, I just don't want to be involved in a "black friday" event where everyone stomp over each other for a couple of available units.
FiiO did that with the E12, so I just skipped the E12.
If JDS does the same than I'll just move on to the headstage arrow and wait until there's plenty of C5 in stock.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #90 of 3,417
Well he's only making them available when they are made, not a limited number like E12 from what I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back