JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #377 of 3,417
Quote:
Wow! Great mod! Congratulations, rckyosho! Maybe you'll give JDS Labs some new ideas... 
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Wow! I was curious about this engraving request...

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #378 of 3,417
Quote:

Haha.  That's awesome.  I think it was well planned. :)  Now that we know my graphic break the anodizer, how much do I owe you? haha.  :wink: Can't wait for the amp!

This may have already been covered, but I know the bass boost is a hardware switch, so does that mean the bass setting can't be modified if someone wanted to adjust the frequency or amount?

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #379 of 3,417
Quote:
Anyway I have something special planned for the C5 ever since I saw the C5 board and it's case.

Excellent mod of combining UD100 and C5!!!

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #380 of 3,417
Quote:
Finally!!!! Got my hands on the C5. I'll leave the impressions to the others as I suck at it.

Anyway I have something special planned for the C5 ever since I saw the C5 board and it's case.
Below is a topview of my unit.

Notice the wordings below the JDSlabs and the red thingy below the C5.
What might it be...you ask.....well some might know it.
For those that don't, Well the red thingy is a the called UD100, The smallest DAC that I know of that uses the
ESS Sabre ES9023 chip.Go here if you want to know more about it.

Well what has the wordings "Sabre32 DAC Version" and the UD100 has got to do with anything?
Since the C5 is considered similar sounding to the O2 as the UD100 to the ODAC(don't quote me on this) and
if your trying to guess and thinking wouldn't it be great if you could stuff a DAC unit into the C5
than that is exactly what I've done! while still maitaining the functionality of the C5 as a stand alone amp!

Ok not going to bore you with the all the details....I'll just let the pics do the talking.

Sizing it up.

The jack of the UD-100 removed due to height issue and also open/bare contacts.

The output from UD100 soldered to the input of the C5 and also the OTG cable soldered on the UD100 that is going to my S3.
The UD100 is held by double-side tape.A dummy jack is plugged(no left channel if left unplug due to the switching design of the input jack.

Opening on the top front plate to allow for the OTG cable through.

All assemble up and ready to use.

Finally getting to enjoy the C5 after all that work.

The modded C5 still usable as an amp.

PS: Exuse me for some of the picture quality..tired after all that work.

Wow, that's a really clever mod! Well done!
How do you know where the input is for the C5? I was trying to look at the PCB board, but I can't properly "read" it and trace the pathways of what things go to what. Oh I see, never mind. I didn't see the wires connecting to the input port of the C5. Instead of putting the source into the 3.5 mm port, you re-wired it so the input would come from the USB instead. Very cool indeed!

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #382 of 3,417
Quote:
haha anyone else wishing to see JDS labs think of doing similar mod in future? 

I think it would be pretty neat if JDS Labs could offer a USB DAC/amp similar to how something like a FiiO E7 works (one unit instead of 2 separate ones).

Quote:
Quote:

Haha.  That's awesome.  I think it was well planned. :)  Now that we know my graphic break the anodizer, how much do I owe you? haha.  :wink: Can't wait for the amp!

This may have already been covered, but I know the bass boost is a hardware switch, so does that mean the bass setting can't be modified if someone wanted to adjust the frequency or amount?

You are correct, it can't be modified.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #383 of 3,417
I think it would be pretty neat if JDS Labs could offer a USB DAC/amp similar to how something like a FiiO E7 works (one unit instead of 2 separate ones).

You are correct, it can't be modified.

Oh,I thought john said he could change the boost on request? I assume he must change a component then? Oh well. I hope it works well with my phones :-o

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #384 of 3,417

Quote:
Oh,I thought john said he could change the boost on request? I assume he must change a component then? Oh well. I hope it works well with my phones :-o

Bass boost is fixed for optimal performance. There's a longer discussion buried somewhere in this thread.

haha anyone else wishing to see JDS labs think of doing similar mod in future? 

A fresh design makes most sense for production.

Looking forward to seeing all of these C5's ship next week 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #386 of 3,417
Wow! (again 
biggrin.gif
) thanks all and from the "man" himself, thanks jseaber.

Ok, I'll say it again I suck at doing impressions 
redface.gif
Anyway been doing more comparisons between my version of the C5 and the Apex Glacier(both amp/dac combo).
Volume was matched with an SPL meter. Song chosen was from Immediate Music : TRAILERHEAD - Track No.4 - Serenata Immortale.
Trailerhead is known for making mordern ochestral and choral music or Epic and Cinematic, so should be good to make a comparision with as there are many instrument playing and people singing.What I can say is I can make out details like soft singing behind the instruments playing much better with my version of the C5 than with the
Apex Glacier....both sounded good but my pick would be the C5/UD-100 combo.(see I suck 
tongue.gif
 at doing review/comparisions)

So go ahead and buy the C5...you won't regret it.

Quote:
Bass boost is fixed for optimal performance. There's a longer discussion buried somewhere in this thread.

A fresh design makes most sense for production.

Looking forward to seeing all of these C5's ship next week 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, that is more logical....so when are we seeing a C6 or the next amp/dac combo 
darthsmile.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #387 of 3,417
Quote:

I'd disagree there though, not that I think every amp should have configurable bass boost but the problem is this; some people prefer 0dB bass boost, some maybe wants +7dB and for some people +15dB is ideal etc. Headphones come from like say -5dB to +15dB variety in the bass, I fail to see the argument how a "fixed" setting will be ideal for every person and every headphone. Adding more settings preserving the same tested and optimized curve while just lowering/raising the peak, the chances are more people will find their wanted bass levels and the headphone choice becomes less picky. :p The more the merrier. It's hard enough finding a headphone with the sound you truly love, finding that sound signature with the right amount of bass is even more harder why I like bass boost options on amps, to greatly easen search for "the holy grail" setup for your taste/preferences as it becomes one factor less to worry about.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #389 of 3,417
Quote:

I'd disagree there though, not that I think every amp should have configurable bass boost but the problem is this; some people prefer 0dB bass boost, some maybe wants +7dB and for some people +15dB is ideal etc. Headphones come from like say -5dB to +15dB variety in the bass, I fail to see the argument how a "fixed" setting will be ideal for every person and every headphone. Adding more settings preserving the same tested and optimized curve while just lowering/raising the peak, the chances are more people will find their wanted bass levels and the headphone choice becomes less picky. :p The more the merrier. It's hard enough finding a headphone with the sound you truly love, finding that sound signature with the right amount of bass is even more harder why I like bass boost options on amps, to greatly easen search for "the holy grail" setup for your taste/preferences as it becomes one factor less to worry about.

I think you are missing the mark a bit as well. You don't buy an amp to change or alter the "imperfections" of your headphones. A headphones sound signature should not change much when plugged into any amp (excluding Tube Amplifiers). If you don't like something about your headphones, I wouldn't expect an amp to change that much, you have to find a new headphone. That is the way I have always looked at it.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #390 of 3,417
Quote:
I think you are missing the mark a bit as well. You don't buy an amp to change or alter the "imperfections" of your headphones. A headphones sound signature should not change much when plugged into any amp (excluding Tube Amplifiers). If you don't like something about your headphones, I wouldn't expect an amp to change that much, you have to find a new headphone. That is the way I have always looked at it.

I disagree a bit here.  I used to think that as well, until I tried practically every IEM on the market. ha.  None of them are perfect and they all lack something.  I personally am going for 100% neutrality. With that said the very few extremely flat IEMs I've tried a lacking a bit of bass.  Just a slight boost at the right frequency would make them perfect.  EQ isn't always an option on some devices.  So if you're using an amp anyway, the right amount of bass boost could be a god send.

If I think "i'll find another headphone that has better bass" it's not going to happen.  At least not easily without millions of hours of searching and an endless wallet.  Whereas any of the few neutral phones I've found could be rectified with the correct amount of bass at the right frequency range.

So for the "most" part I agree that you should aim for the best possible match of sound preference via your headphones first and foremost.  But after that the amp would be the second best help in my opinion to slightly craft the sound to achieve the best results.  So I wouldn't call it altering "imperfections" per se, but rather bringing the sound closer to perfect or closer to someone's desire...

That's how I look at it anyway. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back