JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #391 of 3,417
Quote:

I disagree a bit here.  I used to think that as well, until I tried practically every IEM on the market. ha.  None of them are perfect and they all lack something.  I personally am going for 100% neutrality. With that said the very few extremely flat IEMs I've tried a lacking a bit of bass.  Just a slight boost at the right frequency would make them perfect.  EQ isn't always an option on some devices.  So if you're using an amp anyway, the right amount of bass boost could be a god send.

If I think "i'll find another headphone that has better bass" it's not going to happen.  At least not easily without millions of hours of searching and an endless wallet.  Whereas any of the few neutral phones I've found could be rectified with the correct amount of bass at the right frequency range.

So for the "most" part I agree that you should aim for the best possible match of sound preference via your headphones first and foremost.  But after that the amp would be the second best help in my opinion to slightly craft the sound to achieve the best results.  So I wouldn't call it altering "imperfections" per se, but rather bringing the sound closer to perfect or closer to someone's desire...

That's how I look at it anyway. :)

I definitely agree, that those small tweaks in regards to bass is always nice to have with an amp, but I think "expecting" that your amp will somehow change the sound signature of your headphones/earphones is unrealistic. Also criticizing a company for not having adjustable bass boost is going about it the wrong way. I love having the option to alter the sound of my headphones through an amp, but I won't expect it to change it dramatically. But I can understand the reasoning behind wanting an adjustable bass boost, it would cater to the needs of everyone, I just don't think it is realistic.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #392 of 3,417
Quote:
I definitely agree, that those small tweaks in regards to bass is always nice to have with an amp, but I think "expecting" that your amp will somehow change the sound signature of your headphones/earphones is unrealistic. Also criticizing a company for not having adjustable bass boost is going about it the wrong way. I love having the option to alter the sound of my headphones through an amp, but I won't expect it to change it dramatically. But I can understand the reasoning behind wanting an adjustable bass boost, it would cater to the needs of everyone, I just don't think it is realistic.

Exactly.  John is awesome for even giving us a bass boost on such a cool amp.  I personally would rather have quality than any bass boost anyway.  But if it doesn't hurt things it's cool.  If there were any other changes a three way switch with maybe half way between would be cool though...  i haven't heard it yet, but the frequency range seems like it is a good choice for general purpose...

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #393 of 3,417
In any case, I'm finding the bass boost quite convenient for mobile listening. It adds the just the right amount of bass to make the bass more audible over the extra ambient background noise and greatly improves the audio listening experience I get. For home use, sure it might be too much for most portable headphones, but I think it works pretty well for more more bass-shy or bass-neutral headphones if you want some extra "oomph", or weight, or impact from the lower-end of the frequency spectrum.

So in this sense, from my experience, for me at least, the bass boost is quite optimal.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #394 of 3,417
Glad I upgraded to expedited shipping only to wait. I can only hope they're working the weekend and nights to get the pre-order amps shipped out considering I had to work them to be able to afford something like this...

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #395 of 3,417
In any case, I'm finding the bass boost quite convenient for mobile listening. It adds the just the right amount of bass to make the bass more audible over the extra ambient background noise and greatly improves the audio listening experience I get. For home use, sure it might be too much for most portable headphones, but I think it works pretty well for more more bass-shy or bass-neutral headphones if you want some extra "oomph", or weight, or impact from the lower-end of the frequency spectrum.

So in this sense, from my experience, for me at least, the bass boost is quite optimal.

That's what I'm hoping for... A little more low body to my etymotic er4s or pfe112. Otherwise I'll never touch it with other phones...

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #396 of 3,417
Quote:
Glad I upgraded to expedited shipping only to wait. I can only hope they're working the weekend and nights to get the pre-order amps shipped out considering I had to work them to be able to afford something like this...

jonbmet: I work 9am-2am + weekends and my employees do the same when the work demands it (yes, 100+ hour weeks). We're at a standstill until Monday due to a delay from the enclosure "bead blasters". Fortunately, we built extra time into the shipping schedule and will only land ~2 business days away from the goal. I don't like excuses, so the shop who imposed the delay is fired and we're already working with another vendor in St. Louis. Next week will be rough.

luisdent: By optimal, I meant no variable bass boost. See post #286 for the discussion I previously referenced. Three fixed bass levels would be reasonable.

Yes, that is more logical....so when are we seeing a C6 or the next amp/dac combo 
darthsmile.gif

It's hard to predict the future!

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #397 of 3,417
I appreciate the response (and the PM). Glad to hear you're taking action too. I eagerly await my new amp.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #398 of 3,417
Quote:
luisdent: By optimal, I meant no variable bass boost. See post #286 for the discussion I previously referenced. Three fixed bass levels would be reasonable.

John, I thought I had read that in there.  That's awesome.  Do you mean that would be reasonable for the next amp you release?  Or as in you can put that in the c5? :wink: :wink: haha  Either way, that would be a very nice touch.  I think people would appreciate two options of bass boost.  Anything beyond that is really unnecessary in my opinion.  One setting is already probably great for most, but some people here and there might just want half that or twice that.  So getting two options would help that a lot.  Say +3 and +6 or perhaps +4 and +8.  Something like that anyway.  Either would be close enough and I'd leave that up to your judgement.

I would think 3 and 6 might make the most sense as you seem to have chosen 6 based on your clients? preferences.  If that's the case +6 would be great and for those who think it's a bit much +3 would be perfect.  Just my thoughts on it.  I'd love a 3/6 option in my amp, but I'm happy with 6 if that's all there is.  It seems like a reasonable amount to get that extra boost without being too much.  But I'll report back once I hear mine. :)

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #399 of 3,417
Quote:

I think that is about it's best use. If you want more tailoring, I think you should be looking at your control device (DAP) and not the amp.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #400 of 3,417
Quote:
I think that is about it's best use. If you want more tailoring, I think you should be looking at your control device (DAP) and not the amp.

Unfortunately most control devices don't have the best eq.  I use an ipod for many reasons, and the stock eq's are all completely un-useable.  There are eq apps that are better, but none of them will play any of my purchased music, eat battery faster, and have interfaces of various quality levels.  So again, the amp makes the most sense.  But keep in mind, I'm only talking about a slight change.  I'm not asking for an eq on the amp, nor do I want full bass customization.  I simply think two options is the best way to go.

You know once single bass option is never going to work for everyone, but two is a very good compromise.  Simply half of the bass boost if it's a high value or double the bass boost if it's a low value.  If that is possible with a three way switch and it doesn't add substantial cost or difficulty, as I would assume from john's reply, than I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that solution? :)

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #401 of 3,417

Mine arrived today here in Tokyo, Japan. Combined w/ NW-A867, variable volume LOD, and M-100.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #405 of 3,417
Quote:
RED seems to be  a very popular color. 

It is a very attractive colour in my opinion. Not very many companies offer portable amplifiers with different colour options, so having something other than the regular 'ol black or silver is a neat offer.

I tried the K 701's with "Crysis Warhead" and boy does that bass boost switch do wonders for explosions! I'm loving it so far; the K 701's detail retrieval + imaging + C5's bass boost "theater-effect" explosions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back