JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #197 of 3,417
Quote:
Did I just see "Made in China"
cool.gif
? You should have used "Assembled In China" words. Sorry, just kidding.

Quote:
IMO, black looks fantastic and should be offered as an option.  It would be my first choice.

Quote:
That amp is from another company
tongue.gif

Thanks for pointing that out- pics were misleading.  I was wondering where the bass boost was.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #199 of 3,417
Quote:
IMO, black looks fantastic and should be offered as an option.  It would be my first choice.

Quote:
We can do all-black cases upon special request (4-8 day lead time). Distributors will shoot me if we make this product any more complicated.

Custom text engraving is free; please enter special requests in the Order Notes field upon checkout.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #202 of 3,417
John, does the black look similar to the c421 but just not as dark?

C5 endplates look the same in black as c421. The new body looks dull in black, much unlike the colors we chose. Light reflects (refracts?) nicely on brushed aluminum. But it appears to absorb into the bead blasted texture, creating a matte appearance, which stands out from all the other colors. In other words, the texture appears to change, even though it hasn't. Take a look at the colors Apple offers for iPod Nanos. They don't offer a black, and our anodizer suggests we're observing first-hand why that may be. I suspect Apple has something against black--surely it can be done when you have billions in $.

We may use black C5 cases for our ODACs soon (will post pics then). They by no means look bad. They're simply different, and less appealing than the colors we chose. Nick spent months in pursuit of this appearance. He's done a fantastic job.

Ten years from now black will be out, and everyone will be after some other new style 
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #203 of 3,417
Quote:
John, does the black look similar to the c421 but just not as dark?

C5 endplates look the same in black as c421. The new body looks dull in black, much unlike the colors we chose. Light reflects (refracts?) nicely on brushed aluminum. But it appears to absorb into the bead blasted texture, creating a matte appearance, which stands out from all the other colors. In other words, the texture appears to change, even though it hasn't. Take a look at the colors Apple offers for iPod Nanos. They don't offer a black, and our anodizer suggests we're observing first-hand why that may be. I suspect Apple has something against black--surely it can be done when you have billions in $.

We may use black C5 cases for our ODACs soon (will post pics then). They by no means look bad. They're simply different, and less appealing than the colors we chose. Nick spent months in pursuit of this appearance. He's done a fantastic job.

Ten years from now black will be out, and everyone will be after some other new style 
wink_face.gif

Interesting to hear, and you make a very good case (pun intended) for the iPod line...I actually never even noticed that until you pointed it out.
Upon looking at their website, it appears they do offer a black iPod/iTouch, not to mention the iPhone 5:

I think a black matte-textured enclosure would be something people can appreciate; didn't the C421 have a similar finish though?
The current coarse-brush finish on the ODAC is not my top pick for an enclosure texture and would prefer a matte-finish one any day over it, to be honest.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #204 of 3,417
Quote:
Interesting to hear, and you make a very good case (pun intended) for the iPod line...I actually never even noticed that until you pointed it out.
Upon looking at their website, it appears they do offer a black iPod/iTouch, not to mention the iPhone 5:

I think a black matte-textured enclosure would be something people can appreciate; didn't the C421 have a similar finish though?
The current coarse-brush finish on the ODAC is not my top pick for an enclosure texture and would prefer a matte-finish one any day over it, to be honest.

I have the 7G iPod Nano on my office desk. It's actually a deep "slate" anodizing and not black. If that's what you guys want, we can try it.

The Slate C5 we photographed was 50% intensity, according to our anodizer.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #205 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

I have the 7G iPod Nano on my office desk. It's actually a deep "slate" anodizing and not black. If that's what you guys want, we can try it.

The Slate C5 we photographed was 50% intensity, according to our anodizer.

Ah, you beat me to the photo. I was just going to post: iPod touch 32GB Black & Slate

Personally I think a darker slate would be more popular since it matches other electronic equipment better than the current slate colour. I don't know what other people think of it though. As you mentioned in your blog comments, seeing how the pre-order sales go will give a rough estimate of the popularity of the different colour options offered right now. From the looks of it, the red seems to be a popular "loud" colour option for users.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #206 of 3,417
I love the look of the slate. I go for black components almost 100% of the time. Black iPod Classic 5thG. Black iPad Mini. Always get cables in black when possible. But when I saw this slate I made my pre-order in it. I think I would have gotten it even if it had been offered in black. Great looking product, John!

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #208 of 3,417
I think it's a testament to JDS Lab's reputation that most of the debate going on here is on the color options of the C5, it's like to them, it's a foregone conclusion that the amp WILL sound as good as what John promises.

haha yup. its *expected* to sound good, but lets wait till the reviewers give their comments

(dont get me wrong, i ordered one too :D)

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #209 of 3,417
Quote:
I think it's a testament to JDS Lab's reputation that most of the debate going on here is on the color options of the C5, it's like to them, it's a foregone conclusion that the amp WILL sound as good as what John promises.

They do have most of the objective measurements posted on their blog, and the electronics/sound are pretty much "locked-in", so the only feedback we can really give at this point is colour options, and it seems feasible for JDS Labs to change the colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back