JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #211 of 3,417
Quote:
I think it's a testament to JDS Lab's reputation that most of the debate going on here is on the color options of the C5, it's like to them, it's a foregone conclusion that the amp WILL sound as good as what John promises.

Haha.  That's what I've been thinking this whole time.  It's like everything is so good we're nitpicking over the small stuff.... "will it look good with my other gear?" lol  Not that it isn't important... :wink: :wink:

I can't wait to see my custom anodized album art on the amp!!!! :)  Barring any unforeseen reasons it's can't be done (john thinks it can) this will be so awesome.  let me know what you guys think. It's the album art to my first album...  I made a quick mockup...

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #212 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's a testament to JDS Lab's reputation that most of the debate going on here is on the color options of the C5, it's like to them, it's a foregone conclusion that the amp WILL sound as good as what John promises.

Haha.  That's what I've been thinking this whole time.  It's like everything is so good we're nitpicking over the small stuff.... "will it look good with my other gear?" lol  Not that it isn't important... :wink: :wink:

I can't wait to see my custom anodized album art on the amp!!!! :)  Barring any unforeseen reasons it's can't be done (john thinks it can) this will be so awesome.  let me know what you guys think. It's the album art to my first album...  I made a quick mockup...

Looks pretty clean.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the digital potentiometer turns out. Usually I don't like digital volume control because of the discrete "steps" in sound it has, as opposed to a continuous analog control. The 1-finger operation of the smooth lever should be a welcome change though (as opposed to a 1-finger operation of a digital button for some amps).

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #214 of 3,417
Quote:
Looks pretty clean.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the digital potentiometer turns out. Usually I don't like digital volume control because of the discrete "steps" in sound it has, as opposed to a continuous analog control. The 1-finger operation of the smooth lever should be a welcome change though (as opposed to a 1-finger operation of a digital button for some amps).

I agree.  Although, it sounds like they made it very precise for sensitive IEMs, so maybe that will mean it is slight changes with each step. I can't STAND the ipod touch's external volume buttons with ANY headphone.  I always want something in between.  I exclusively use the on screen lock menu volume control, and even that can be a pain.  Bah.  Maybe this will make things better for me. :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #215 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Looks pretty clean.

I agree.  Although, it sounds like they made it very precise for sensitive IEMs, so maybe that will mean it is slight changes with each step. I can't STAND the ipod touch's external volume buttons with ANY headphone.  I always want something in between.  I exclusively use the on screen lock menu volume control, and even that can be a pain.  Bah.  Maybe this will make things better for me. :)

That or the steps of the digital button are small and it takes a while/many button presses to reach the desired volume level (thinking about the FiiO E7 right now).

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #216 of 3,417
Quote:
That or the steps of the digital button are small and it takes a while/many button presses to reach the desired volume level (thinking about the FiiO E7 right now).

That is something I was wondering too.  It would be nice if holding the button down ramps up the speed...  And not to start any worries, but the one thing that actually has me sort of worried is the gain button.  It is the volume button if I'm not mistaken.  You push it in to switch gain mode.  I just hope you never accidentally press it when adjusting the volume and all the sudden get a big boost in gain... :-o  But I'm sure they tested that a lot to make sure it didn't happen...  Anyhow, I can't wait for mine! :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #217 of 3,417
Quote:

That is something I was wondering too.  It would be nice if holding the button down ramps up the speed...  And not to start any worries, but the one thing that actually has me sort of worried is the gain button.  It is the volume button if I'm not mistaken.  You push it in to switch gain mode.  I just hope you never accidentally press it when adjusting the volume and all the sudden get a big boost in gain... :-o  But I'm sure they tested that a lot to make sure it didn't happen...  Anyhow, I can't wait for mine! :)

I believe that you can change any of that later on with the arduino programmable interface.  So if you want the controls to be linear, log, or morse code it should work.  I am still trying to work out how to input the Konami code :D

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #218 of 3,417
Quote:
I believe that you can change any of that later on with the arduino programmable interface.  So if you want the controls to be linear, log, or morse code it should work.  I am still trying to work out how to input the Konami code :D

I saw that.  That's pretty sweet.  Although, I'm sure I'd have to invest in arduino equipment to do such a thing?

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #219 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

The Arduino code doesn't look terribly complex, but it will be interesting to see to see what people do with it.

There looks to be some code to prevent accidental gain pressing, setting a delay for the push (push volume lever, code detects if it's pressed, pauses code for a brief fraction of a second [can be adjusted], code detects if it's still pressed, runs the code to change the gain state). If the volume lever is constantly jostled or accidentally pressed, changing the delay to a higher value might be useful in that case (forcing the user to hold-down the volume lever for a longer period of time before the gain toggle code activates).

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #220 of 3,417
Quote:
The Arduino code doesn't look terribly complex, but it will be interesting to see to see what people do with it.

There looks to be some code to prevent accidental gain pressing, setting a delay for the push (push volume lever, code detects if it's pressed, pauses code for a brief fraction of a second [can be adjusted], code detects if it's still pressed, runs the code to change the gain state). If the volume lever is constantly jostled or accidentally pressed, changing the delay to a higher value might be useful in that case (forcing the user to hold-down the volume lever for a longer period of time before the gain toggle code activates).

I like the idea of running the amp in a dark mode.  You could leave the blinking led for low battery, and have the led flash when changing volume, or flash a message in morse code when it starts up.
You could make things more complex by adding logic for different modes of operation.  I could see this as useful for an IEM mode and "can" mode. (its a joke, i2c vs. can bus... :) )
possibly double clicking the "gain" button (press in on the volume control) you could change modes, then the volume increase would be more sensitive in the low volume range vs faster stepping for the larger headphones.  You could also change the max volume say in the IEM mode, should you hit volume up in your pocket, it wont make your ears bleed.  Safety first. :)

Alternatively, you can add a watch timer, so say, if the downtemp is held down for more than 1 second, the amount the volume is stepped is doubled.  You could even change it more after two seconds, etc.

perhaps rather than a mode change, you could incorporate a mute functionality depending on your needs.

Lots of options here, its awesome John has given us so many options!

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #221 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

I like the idea of running the amp in a dark mode.  You could leave the blinking led for low battery, and have the led flash when changing volume, or flash a message in morse code when it starts up.
You could make things more complex by adding logic for different modes of operation.  I could see this as useful for an IEM mode and "can" mode. (its a joke, i2c vs. can bus... :) )
possibly double clicking the "gain" button (press in on the volume control) you could change modes, then the volume increase would be more sensitive in the low volume range vs faster stepping for the larger headphones.  You could also change the max volume say in the IEM mode, should you hit volume up in your pocket, it wont make your ears bleed.  Safety first. :)

Alternatively, you can add a watch timer, so say, if the downtemp is held down for more than 1 second, the amount the volume is stepped is doubled.  You could even change it more after two seconds, etc.

perhaps rather than a mode change, you could incorporate a mute functionality depending on your needs.

Lots of options here, its awesome John has given us so many options!

That actually sounds like a really neat idea. Gah, now I'm really interested in seeing what kinds of cool things can get coded for the C5. :D

Regarding the default volume settings, John said on the Facebook page:
Quote:
Volume advances 1dB every 55ms. Those numbers are meaningless until you try it. I spent days tinkering with the firmware to get an optimal speed. It takes about 3.5 seconds to transition from mute to max, and single "steps" are still possible (and subtle). Excellent volume control was the highest focus in C5.

^ and yup, there it is in the code using the same logic as the gain toggle (turn volume lever, code detects it and delays the code for 55ms, if code detects it's still turned, starts the volume control code).

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #222 of 3,417
That actually sounds like a really neat idea. Gah, now I'm really interested in seeing what kinds of cool things can get coded for the C5. :D

^ and yup, there it is in the code using the same logic as the gain toggle (turn volume lever, code detects it and delays the code for 55ms, if code detects it's still turned, starts the volume control code).

I'm still in the stone age with no facebook. I wonder how many times he has worked the full gamut of volume of the C5. Also testing the wear-life of the toggle :)
I am too, not to break things before my unit even ships, but I wonder if there are any exposed pins left to case-mod another button on. Though, it would be easy to use a press in, toggle up or press in toggle down. And just use delays for a few more "buttons."

This is way too much fun, I really should be sleeping, but this is way too much fun! Thanks for the info, i'll keep posting ideas and I hope you'll do the same!

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #223 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
That actually sounds like a really neat idea. Gah, now I'm really interested in seeing what kinds of cool things can get coded for the C5.
biggrin.gif

I'm still in the stone age with no facebook. I wonder how many times he has worked the full gamut of volume of the C5. Also testing the wear-life of the toggle
smily_headphones1.gif

I am too, not to break things before my unit even ships, but I wonder if there are any exposed pins left to case-mod another button on. Though, it would be easy to use a press in, toggle up or press in toggle down. And just use delays for a few more "buttons."

This is way too much fun, I really should be sleeping, but this is way too much fun! Thanks for the info, i'll keep posting ideas and I hope you'll do the same!

Lucky for you the comments of JDS Labs' recent Facebook photos are public, so you have full access to them without having to make a Facebook account.

Also lucky for you, I already asked John about the lever's life cycle:
Quote:
Quote:
Sweet, sound great! I miss that kind of volume control. I don't know of any audiophile equipment that uses it. My only concern for it is mechanical failure and how long it'll last since it feels like a spring mechanism. I'm assuming it will last quite some time though.

Operating life of the Alps lever is spec'ed at 100,000 cycles. Alps potentiometers are rated at only 10,000 cycles.

Though from what we can learn from the creator of the O2, spec'ed things aren't always what one gets under ideal conditions.

Yup I should sleep too.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #225 of 3,417
updated first post with specs and details.

also im probs getting it in red :)

will do a comparison against C421 AD8620

Users who are viewing this thread

Back