JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #181 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
I think people would appreciate an all-black version, like the C421. I've seen a few people disappointed by the lack of an all-black option, for the time being, and given the current choices of colours they would pick the silver one. Black offers a sleeker, more low-profile/conservative kind of look in my honest opinion, as black coloured electronics are quite commonly found.

I wonder how popular the slate option will be. It certainly looks nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not a typical colour offered in electronics.

Most portable amps on the market these days are either silver or black. What's wrong with a little variety
smily_headphones1.gif

As someone looking for a subtle amp to pair with iDevices (and hopefully the new Fiio X3), the slate seems perfect.

Oh nothing is wrong with variety, it's just odd to some people that the "industry standard" black colour isn't offered, yet.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #182 of 3,417
Quote:
Pre-ordering for the JDS Labs C5 is up!
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=464

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=70

I must say. That is one really nice-looking red colour.

The Power LED is finally placed in front. The output impedance is lowered (2ohm should be good enough for most IEM except maybe a few IEM that is under 10ohm). The power line has been improved (though the C421 power line is already really good). The new digital volume control looks very impressive. OPA2227 is never the top of my favorite list of opamp, but given C5 is designed around it, hopefully it will be the best OPA2227 featured portable amp around (shouldn't be too difficult since it can match O2)

Overall, it looks like a worthy replacement for C421.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #183 of 3,417
Quote:

I have to disagree.  I look at the review as letting me know that someone tested it to be pure.  Would you want a cloudy diamond in your ring?  Wouldn't you want a reviewer to let you know he found the diamond to be perfect?  Or any review showing that something is high quality and works well.  In regards to an amp, being high quality means being 100% transparent with no flaws.  If you want a colored sound there is nothing wrong with that, and you would look for reviews showing that.  I don't want colored sound any more than I want colored headphones. :p

You're 100% right. Especially for amps that claim to be 100% neutral, there need to be objective reviews covering all aspects of the amp with measurements to verify the maker's claims that the amp is indeed, 100% neutral. What I meant in my statement refer only to subjective reviews, which is the huge majority of the reviews out on the internet. It'll be great if NwAvGuy can review the C5 but unfortunately, he disappeared off the grid since late last year.....
Quote:
I think people would appreciate an all-black version, like the C421. I've seen a few people disappointed by the lack of an all-black option, for the time being, and given the current choices of colours they would pick the silver one. Black offers a sleeker, more low-profile/conservative kind of look in my honest opinion, as black coloured electronics are quite commonly found.

I wonder how popular the slate option will be. It certainly looks nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not a typical colour offered in electronics.

Maybe John can offer it as a limited run. Personally I prefer the slate to the silver, but the red is just too tempting! I love the red and silver combination.
Quote:
  The C5 uses an OPA2227 stock. It was mentioned either in this thread or on their Facebook page that you could request the 8620 if you desired it instead.

Hmm, on the C421, the OPA2227 version was slightly warm, while the 8620 version was more neutral. In this case, the C5 was designed around the OPA2227 to be 100% neutral, so I'm not sure what changing to the 8620 will do to the sound since it can't be anymore neutral (i mean, you can but you won't be able to hear it). Maybe John will see my post and is able to comment on what the 8620 will do.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #184 of 3,417
You're 100% right. Especially for amps that claim to be 100% neutral, there need to be objective reviews covering all aspects of the amp with measurements to verify the maker's claims that the amp is indeed, 100% neutral. What I meant in my statement refer only to subjective reviews, which is the huge majority of the reviews out on the internet. It'll be great if NwAvGuy can review the C5 but unfortunately, he disappeared off the grid since late last year.....

Maybe John can offer it as a limited run. Personally I prefer the slate to the silver, but the red is just too tempting! I love the red and silver combination.

Hmm, on the C421, the OPA2227 version was slightly warm, while the 8620 version was more neutral. In this case, the C5 was designed around the OPA2227 to be 100% neutral, so I'm not sure what changing to the 8620 will do to the sound since it can't be anymore neutral (i mean, you can but you won't be able to hear it). Maybe John will see my post and is able to comment on what the 8620 will do.

(trying to stay hopeful given that i ordered 8620 one)

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #185 of 3,417
Thank you miceblue for introducing this amp from the M100 Thread. 

Just wondering if the C5 would come with a black front and back plate like the c421 used to have ? If not can it be custom made ? I would think it would be nice to have it with a red body . Good Job JDS for introducing the RED Colour. Also , would like to know if it is possible to have custom engravement  ? 

Cheers.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #186 of 3,417
Quote:

Just wondering if the C5 would come with a black front and back plate like the c421 used to have ? If not can it be custom made ? I would think it would be nice to have it with a red body . Good Job JDS for introducing the RED Colour. Also , would like to know if it is possible to have custom engravement  ? 

Cheers.

I made an inquiry in my order about having my name/Head-Fi username engraved on the C5 and John graciously replied:
Quote:
There's no charge for custom engraving. How would you like your engraving to appear?

I'm not sure if there will a fee for larger logos and whatnot though.

I've got to hand it to John and JDS Labs for having some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #188 of 3,417
Quote:
Does it come stock with the 8620? Or do you have to specify?

C5 is built for best performance as it's designed. Effective now, no more custom opamps will be offered. C5 sounds great as is, and this will keep reviews consistent. Way too much confusion arose from c421's opamp choices!

Cheers.

We can do all-black cases upon special request (4-8 day lead time). Distributors will shoot me if we make this product any more complicated.

Custom text engraving is free; please enter special requests in the Order Notes field upon checkout.

I wonder if you could save some moniey if you wanted to get it i raw aluminum rather than anodized. Cause i think that would look rather cool as well.

Anodizing costs $2 per case, and raw aluminum scratches very easily. The original picture in this thread was taken after bead blasting, prior to anodizing. You don't want to see a raw extrusion...

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #191 of 3,417
You wanted that a no-room soy almond salmon Acai neat with a camo muave twist and sandstone blueberry boost on the rocks, peppermint azul right?  Bead blasted of course with the triple three phase 8 liter super-charged cherry bombs.  I assume you are running all that on Royal purple Redline biodiesel!

(Sorry, couldn't resist, I love it!)

Yes! Exactly! So, you know exactly what I meant! :p

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #192 of 3,417
John, any chance we could get a picture showing the black C5 please?
Congratulations on the great product so far, you guys never fail to impress with your creations. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #193 of 3,417
Can't wait for a head to head!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back