JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #166 of 3,417
So is JDS's approach to make this sound more like the O2, or rather a re-vamp'd more detailed C421? After reading more into the C421, when I was looking for my first portable amp, many people said that the amp had a touch of warmth to it. Also, is this amp going to able to roll op-amps for added customization? If it is, I'm sold.. they look beautiful by the way, great job on the design JDS Labs!

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #167 of 3,417
Quote:
sorry if this has been answered, I am working and I really can't go through the whole thread now, is this going to be a neutral amp? as neutral as the O2 but pocketable if this word exist, please let me know before i spend my money in something else but tell me the TRUE, is this a neutral amp, I need it to be NEUTRAL.

Straight from the comments section of the C5 blog post:
Quote:
Yes, C5 should be audibly indistinguishable from other neutral amplifiers such as O2.

Quote:
So is JDS's approach to make this sound more like the O2, or rather a re-vamp'd more detailed C421? After reading more into the C421, when I was looking for my first portable amp, many people said that the amp had a touch of warmth to it. Also, is this amp going to able to roll op-amps for added customization? If it is, I'm sold.. they look beautiful by the way, great job on the design JDS Labs!

I think the goal was to improve upon the C421. Again, straight from their C5 blog post:
Quote:
C5 is not a response to the Objective2, nor to competitors’ products. C5 began as a fun project in 2012 to build a smarter headphone amplifier to solve the single greatest hindrance we see in DIY audio: the analog volume potentiometer.
C5 began as an experiment, and even I was skeptical that we could outmatch c421′s THD+N with a digital potentiometer. Thus, we bought a dScope III and set no project deadline and no budget. We’d either continue shipping c421′s, or continue experimenting.
By January 2013, it was clear that C5 was electrically complete. We quietly put C5 PCB’s into production instead of another batch of c421′s. C5 had not only hit our THD+N goal, it had matched the O2!
The C5 proof of concept began as an Arduino Pro with messy wires coupled to a c421: DIY style.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #171 of 3,417
I should know better than to buy things at 2 in the morning, but the red was just so pretty.  Though, my plan to try out a cyanogen9'd epic4g for my player (glossy black) should work with the red quite nicely!  I'm excited to see how my SE425's will do with this amp!

I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on one!

(Pre-ordered Red!)

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #172 of 3,417
Quote:
Dont really see the point of reviewing a transparent amp lol. It's like reviewing how transparent a window is. People are more interested in reviewing stained glass windows.

I have to disagree.  I look at the review as letting me know that someone tested it to be pure.  Would you want a cloudy diamond in your ring?  Wouldn't you want a reviewer to let you know he found the diamond to be perfect?  Or any review showing that something is high quality and works well.  In regards to an amp, being high quality means being 100% transparent with no flaws.  If you want a colored sound there is nothing wrong with that, and you would look for reviews showing that.  I don't want colored sound any more than I want colored headphones. :p

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #173 of 3,417
Quote:
Really pleased to see the initial feedback, thanks guys!

Yes.

We did black samples, and the appearance just didn't "pop" like these three (more of a matte black). Our anodizer says that's the nature of black anodizing on this type of finish. Black can still be done if you insist.

Is it possible to get a photo of the black? :p  Can I get mine in a hazy salmon with a hue of magenta and just a haze of peppermint azul tinged with grey? lmao  Your anodizer can do that right? :wink::wink: And you know exactly what color i'm talking about don't you? :p

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #174 of 3,417
Quote:
Really pleased to see the initial feedback, thanks guys!

I'm surprised, I thought there will be a all-black version, since John once mentioned that it's cheaper and the quality is better for black than for silver.

We did black samples, and the appearance just didn't "pop" like these three (more of a matte black). Our anodizer says that's the nature of black anodizing on this type of finish. Black can still be done if you insist.

I think people would appreciate an all-black version, like the C421. I've seen a few people disappointed by the lack of an all-black option, for the time being, and given the current choices of colours they would pick the silver one. Black offers a sleeker, more low-profile/conservative kind of look in my honest opinion, as black coloured electronics are quite commonly found.

I wonder how popular the slate option will be. It certainly looks nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not a typical colour offered in electronics.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #175 of 3,417
Quote:

Is it possible to get a photo of the black? :p  Can I get mine in a hazy salmon with a hue of magenta and just a haze of peppermint azul tinged with grey? lmao  Your anodizer can do that right? :wink::wink: And you know exactly what color i'm talking about don't you? :p

You wanted that a no-room soy almond salmon Acai neat with a camo muave twist and sandstone blueberry boost on the rocks, peppermint azul right?  Bead blasted of course with the triple three phase 8 liter super-charged cherry bombs.  I assume you are running all that on Royal purple Redline biodiesel!

(Sorry, couldn't resist, I love it!)

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #176 of 3,417
Quote:
You wanted that a no-room soy almond salmon Acai neat with a camo muave twist and sandstone blueberry boost on the rocks, peppermint azul right?  Bead blasted of course with the triple three phase 8 liter super-charged cherry bombs.  I assume you are running all that on Royal purple Redline biodiesel!

(Sorry, couldn't resist, I love it!)

Maybe a tie-in with V-Moda to match all their shield colors
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #179 of 3,417
I think people would appreciate an all-black version, like the C421. I've seen a few people disappointed by the lack of an all-black option, for the time being, and given the current choices of colours they would pick the silver one. Black offers a sleeker, more low-profile/conservative kind of look in my honest opinion, as black coloured electronics are quite commonly found.

I wonder how popular the slate option will be. It certainly looks nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not a typical colour offered in electronics.

Most portable amps on the market these days are either silver or black. What's wrong with a little variety :)

As someone looking for a subtle amp to pair with iDevices (and hopefully the new Fiio X3), the slate seems perfect.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #180 of 3,417
Quote:
Does it come stock with the 8620? Or do you have to specify?

The C5 uses an OPA2227 stock. It was mentioned either in this thread or on their Facebook page that you could request the 8620 if you desired it instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back