ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 11, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #3,511 of 5,044
They are over the ear design by default. Your using them correct. I know the size of them are a bit on the big so it will get some used to. Luckily the design is ergonomic for being a physically bigger shell.

I tried the Mix on the H40 by the way and you think your hearing good things from your H40 now. Wait till you get your Mix cable on them. You got another aspect of the H40 sound you have not tapped into yet untill you get the Mix involved.
Hi @Dsnuts!

I received the Penon Mix cable today! Mate, even with very little burn in, EVERYTHING you said in your fab review is true. I cannot add anything more. Its so superior to the stock s8, its mind boggling. More of everything and the silver does give you more sparkling highs, without lessening the amazing bass. I am more than happy already - and it will improve.

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #3,512 of 5,044
Hi @Dsnuts!

I received the Penon Mix cable today! Mate, even with very little burn in, EVERYTHING you said in your fab review is true. I cannot add anything more. Its so superior to the stock s8, its mind boggling. More of everything and the silver does give you more sparkling highs, without lessening the amazing bass. I am more than happy already - and it will improve.
Mix is a fantastic cable one of my all time faves actually. Glad that worked out for you, as you can hear the H40 scales amazingly to cables. This is the reason why I never bothered modding the H40.

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,513 of 5,044
Mix is a fantastic cable one of my all time faves actually. Glad that worked out for you, as you can hear the H40 scales amazingly to cables. This is the reason why I never bothered modding the H40.
Yes I can readily appreciate the scaling up. 3 hours in and the soundstage is extending in every direction, instruments are getting more fluid and spatial seperation is deepening. Amazing.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #3,514 of 5,044
1648448943883.png

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #3,515 of 5,044
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #3,517 of 5,044
I'm loving my EST50. Put on a really high quality silver cable (like the Penon Flow) to tame and tighten the bass and use really wide bore tips (like the AZLA Sedna earfit lights) and this set sings like crazy! Instrument and vocal separation is spectacular and detail is among the best I've heard. Realism galore with bass to please all bassheads! For the price of admission, it's a steal...
Oh, and also you need a really good source

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,518 of 5,044
I'm loving my EST50. Put on a really high quality silver cable (like the Penon Flow) to tame and tighten the bass and use really wide bore tips (like the AZLA Sedna earfit lights) and this set sings like crazy! Instrument and vocal separation is spectacular and detail is among the best I've heard. Realism galore with bass to please all bassheads! For the price of admission, it's a steal...
Oh, and also you need a really good source
100% agree.
One of the most underrated IEMS in the market. AT the price segment there is nothing like them imo. A full bodied sound signature with bass. You figure the $500 price bracket would be filled with such IEMs but nope. Not too many.

Mar 31, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #3,519 of 5,044
100% agree.
One of the most underrated IEMS in the market. AT the price segment there is nothing like them imo. A full bodied sound signature with bass. You figure the $500 price bracket would be filled with such IEMs but nope. Not too many.
Have you heard the Earsonics Onyx? Going by the the reviews it seems to be similar to the penon /ISN sound and it's apparently really good!
It's in the same price range
I'd really like to read about a comparison between the two
There are already quite a few reviews on heafi and on the web
Thanks 🙏🏾

Mar 31, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #3,520 of 5,044
Never tried one. Graph of them make them comparable. But I have no idea about those. Even if those were as good as folks say they are. I would imagine they would be more a side grade at best to the EST50. It will be difficult to do one better at the price is what I am thinking. But I could be wrong. Would like to try them but that brand seems to be more of a Euro thing.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3,521 of 5,044
Have you heard the Earsonics Onyx? Going by the the reviews it seems to be similar to the penon /ISN sound and it's apparently really good!
It's in the same price range
I'd really like to read about a comparison between the two
There are already quite a few reviews on heafi and on the web
Thanks 🙏🏾
I was perusing the Onyx thread. I posted thoughts from Onyx owners about the Onyx compared to the Penon/ISN range. I did not get any responses. From reviews and impressions, I would think there may be significant sonic similarities, at least tuning-wise. The Onyx is roundly praised for dynamics. It might be nice if someone could compare. @Dsnuts, might Earsonics be inclined to send you a set of the Onyx?

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #3,522 of 5,044
I was perusing the Onyx thread. I posted thoughts from Onyx owners about the Onyx compared to the Penon/ISN range. I did not get any responses. From reviews and impressions, I would think there may be significant sonic similarities, at least tuning-wise. The Onyx is roundly praised for dynamics. It might be nice if someone could compare. @Dsnuts, might Earsonics be inclined to send you a set of the Onyx?
Dont even know where to ask about them really. I am certainly open to try out different offerings from different manufacturers but outside of Headfi.
I am not on any of the social media sites or any of the other more popular audio sites. I have been 100% on headfi.

It is too bad they are no sponsors on headfi. I would have messaged them if they were.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #3,523 of 5,044
Dont even know where to ask about them really. I am certainly open to try out different offerings from different manufacturers but outside of Headfi.
I am not on any of the social media sites or any of the other more popular audio sites. I have been 100% on headfi.

It is too bad they are no sponsors on headfi. I would have messaged them if they were.
I went through the Onyx thread @ThioB3 apparently works there.

IMO, it would also be interesting for @Redcarmoose to get some Penon or ISN review units.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,524 of 5,044
Well, I can tell you the ONYX is very good but also very different. Meaning when I reviewed it I knew it was different, but the longer the ONYX is in my possession the more different it becomes.........and not a bad way. Just the way it handles mids, I would be very surprised if there is another with such a unique character? I had never heard any EarSonics before, maybe they all have shared characteristics? The midrange is wonderful and all frequencies are represented, but often instruments reflect a slightly tilted overall tone. Funny too, as you would think that would effect the tone/timbre, but it doesn’t at all. The individual tone of each instrument is totally correct, but some are glossed over with subdued amber light?

Stuff like guitar will be presented in such a way that you have never heard before, but it’s good, in almost an exotic fashion? It’s like regular guitar sounds regular, but this is caramel guitar? There are just slight timbre features (that are maybe different) but never cross the line into sounding off or wrong.

But there has been quite the blast of reviews of the ONYX, as the company maybe thought that this IEM is so good, we just have to get it out there? It really does sound like a much more expensive TOTL flagship IEM........that of course is only of value if you harmonize with the tone that the ONYX is on?

I went through the Onyx thread @ThioB3 apparently works there.

IMO, it would also be interesting for @Redcarmoose to get some Penon or ISN review units.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3,525 of 5,044
My Initial Impressions of the ISN H50
20220331_144030.jpg

In one word, seriously impressive! Ok those were two words.

Where do I start, they are very easy to drive and for me, a good fit.

The bass is very good quality, fast and well defined. The sub-bass is quite potent, while the mid-bass is very well controlled, so that it is not dominant. The is oodles and oodles of sub-bass and mid-bass but tuned so the bass does not sit above all other notes. I would not classify the H50s as a basshead set but if you want quality over quantity in this price range, these will not disappoint, in fact they will please you.

For me, the H50s are W-shaped tuning with mids that make vocals and lead instruments more prominent that you would have on a V-shaped tuning.

The treble is detailed and informative, you do not miss out on any detail and with their clarity, there is plenty to love, especially because these are easy to drive. They are generally not sibilant, except the occasional excess, although it is early days.

I will post my detailed impressions of the ISN H50s in due course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back