ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #3,481 of 5,044
Yes, ba receivers for accuracy, properly tuned DD = realism - I'd choose the dd anyday, everyday. I kept the Solaris classic for this very reason.
I have not yet acquired the Radius D.M. tips. A bit busy. This is for the H50, I want more bass to be palpable.
I am currently spoiled by the Serial's voluminous bass.
Yet, the H50 even with less quantity, the Bass has better definition, better quality overall and a larger scene as well...
When ready, I hope you would give a brief comparison of the Penon trilogy to the H50, I'm ready to try one of those, then a veer off the hybrid track to a dynamic driver. I'm liking this new direction so much that the Andro S is going to the block.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #3,482 of 5,044
When ready, I hope you would give a brief comparison of the Penon trilogy to the H50,
See below
Skip the H50. As @Skullar mentioned this (H50) is more linear, reference tuned and can be bright on some modern recordings. This ISN offering will not supersede any previous offering including the 40, just another tuning flavour.
I'd rather reco. this. I skipped the H40 over this pair. This has less treble volume output compared to H40 ie relaxed, but the bass and Mids are better on the Orb, quality wise. This is my preference.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-orb.html
Compared to the H50, more defined bass quantity, The Orbs fuller bodied Mids and relaxed treble, de-emphasized treble.
Staging is larger on the H50
If you want just a tad more treble, controlled not piercing.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-globe.html
Compared to the H50, still more defined bass quantity, a more linear, slightly warm Mids, fuller treble. de-emphasized lower treble
Staging is a little larger on the H50
If you are a Basshead, want excellent Mids and a better controlled treble than the first two,
https://penonaudio.com/penon-serial.html
All (3) are excellent in the Mids, low level (micro) details are there but does not bring attention to themselves. They all don't have ear piercing trebles
Compared to the H50, more bass quantity on the Serial
Mids is more defined and fuller on the Serial, the H50 linear in comparison, treble is fuller on the Serial, but less brighter
Staging is a little larger on the H50.

ISN Bass will always be better, The Mids better on the Penon, the treble is an individual preference.
With all of the above considered, this will boil down to individual preference.
I'm ready to try one of those, then a veer off the hybrid track to a dynamic driver. I'm liking this new direction that the Andro S is going to the block.
If you can sacrifice that large CA imaging for a modest one (out of head surround, as opposed to front of head from CA) coming from the H50 or other Penon offerings, then off it goes...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #3,483 of 5,044
See below

Compared to the H50, more defined bass quantity, The Orbs fuller bodied Mids and relaxed treble, de-emphasized treble.
Staging is larger on the H50

Compared to the H50, still more defined bass quantity, a more linear, slightly warm Mids, fuller treble. de-emphasized lower treble
Staging is a little larger on the H50

Compared to the H50, more quantity bass, but lesser quality, due to more mid bass definition as opposed to the sub bass def. on the H50.
Mids is more defined and fuller on the Serial, the H50 linear in comparison, treble is fuller on the Serial, but less brighter
Staging is a little larger on the H50.
With all of the above considered, this will boil down to preference.

If you can sacrifice that large CA imaging for a modest one coming from the H50 or other Penon, then off it goes...
Thanks for that, I may or may not have a grasp on what you are describing as to the mids, I feel the H50 mids (1kz ish) are slightly recessed, that is the base line for me. I understand the Penons to be more fleshed out here?

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #3,484 of 5,044
Thanks for that, I may or may not have a grasp on what you are describing as to the mids, I feel the H50 mids (1kz ish) are slightly recessed, that is the base line for me. I understand the Penons to be more fleshed out here?
Yes. A-Bing right now with the Serial. The output volume is the same as the H50. However, since the 50 is simply the brighter pair, it sounds that the mid is recessed.
Whilst on the Serial the Mids are the star of the show, will sound like they are that forward, but not by very much.
This is a bright track esp. the re-issue versions. It is sibilant on the 50 and thus need to tip roll, not on the Serial.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #3,485 of 5,044
If you can sacrifice that large CA imaging for a modest one (out of head surround, as opposed to front of head from CA) coming from the H50 or other Penon offerings, then off it goes...
I've had those since they were first released, my favs were the Solaris, but the fit couldn't justify keeping, I'll likely wind up with the new Solaris or even the latest Andromeda , which I feel is the best version. It sounds quite different than the S.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #3,486 of 5,044
Yes. A-Bing right now with the Serial. The output volume is the same as the H50. However, since the 50 is simply the brighter pair, it sounds that the mid is recessed.
Whilst on the Serial the Mids are the star of the show, will sound like they are that forward, but not by very much.
This is a bright track esp. the re-issue versions. It is sibilant on the 50 and thus need to tip roll, not on the Serial.

regarding the Serial....
I testified my very first thoughts in the Serial thread exactly a week ago upon very first listen straight out of the box.
7 days later I can say :
😜😜😜
HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What an amazing piece of work!
what a brilliant earphone that is!
I have left it burn in for a week without listening, mostly for 90 hours or so.. and the frog turned into a prince!!!!
From all of the iems in my possession the SERIAL changed the most after thoroughly and extensively burn in procedure.
furthermore I had to try numerous tips in order to find the best result in terms of transparency and emotional vocal response
a lot of tip rolling there......
I have never experienced a change in tonality and sound profile like that before with any other iem I ve got.
the vocals/midrange came to life and what I had originally thought about the Serial (veiled / thick midrange /not a Penon house sound) has now changed dramatically...
warm, analogue, true to life presentation
Very very emotional transparent vocals
The depth of the stage is truly admirable.
the coherency of the drivers is excellent
the bass is simply exceptional
the detail retrieval in the midrange is outrageous.
sure.. it may not have the ORB's sparkle up top and maybe sound a bit darker in tone, but it is an absolute monster of an iem ready to handle any genre with ease and finesse.
a week later I feel dazed.. but not confused any more.....

the most unique feature of Serial to my ears is the depth and height of the stage something hard to achieve to my small experience and knowledge..
the more I listen the more I find more quality elements in their profile..
A week later I tested it (between other sources) with an older combo of mine Fiio X3 dap & HUM Hypno class A amp.
Hypno amp injects some color into the midrange making it more analogue than ever.. That resulted in a super sonic audition with excellent dynamics, I had never experienced such a dynamic presentation before with other iems using that combo.

IMG_20220130_101759.jpg

Due to that unexpected change in tonality/profile of the Serial I have started burn in H50 as well for some days now...
nevertheless first impressions from H50 were pure awesomeness all over the place...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #3,487 of 5,044
regarding the Serial....
I testified my very first thoughts in the Serial thread exactly a week ago upon very first listen straight out of the box.
7 days later I can say :
😜😜😜
HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What an amazing piece of work!
what a brilliant earphone that is!
I have left it burn in for a week without listening, mostly for 90 hours or so.. and the frog turned into a prince!!!!
From all of the iems in my possession the SERIAL changed the most after thoroughly and extensively burn in procedure.
This is what I'm doing since 05-Dec! Of course listening to them @ the end of the day.
They are mechanical, hence there is a need for it to "move", "push" those drivers extensively.
It is consistent, they open up after 100 hours. The Mids become less thick, they are very fluid right now.

furthermore I had to try numerous tips in order to find the best result in terms of transparency and emotional vocal response
a lot of tip rolling there......
I have never experienced a change in tonality and sound profile like that before with any other iem I ve got.
the vocals/midrange came to life and what I had originally thought about the Serial (veiled / thick midrange /not a Penon house sound) has now changed dramatically...
warm, analogue, true to life presentation
Very very emotional transparent vocals
The depth of the stage is truly admirable.
the coherency of the drivers is excellent
the bass is simply exceptional
the detail retrieval in the midrange is outrageous.
sure.. it may not have the ORB's sparkle up top and maybe sound a bit darker in tone, but it is an absolute monster of an iem ready to handle any genre with ease and finesse.
a week later I feel dazed.. but not confused any more.....

the most unique feature of Serial to my ears is the depth and height of the stage something hard to achieve to my small experience and knowledge..
the more I listen the more I find more quality elements in their profile..
A week later I tested it (between other sources) with an older combo of mine Fiio X3 dap & HUM Hypno class A amp.
Hypno amp injects some color into the midrange making it more analogue than ever.. That resulted in a super sonic audition with excellent dynamics, I had never experienced such a dynamic presentation before with other iems using that combo.

This will either be a pro or a con, as they love power. They scale better when pairing with a reasonably powerful portable amp.

Yeah, looks like we'll be seeing more of this kind of sources...

Due to that unexpected change in tonality/profile of the Serial I have started burn in H50 as well for some days now...
nevertheless first impressions from H50 were pure awesomeness all over the place...
I have not yet even begun to properly weather the H50, Serial weathering is still on going...

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #3,488 of 5,044
@Dsnuts
Thanks for the advice... I received my ISN G4 cable yesterday... not great at first but after half an hour... things fell into place slowly and George Cables was able to enjoy himself... and me too ! :darthsmile:

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3,489 of 5,044
Just sharing my review of the SCB2 for those interested...here.

_DSC2816.jpg

This is a unique IEM with alot to offer the right listener. Dreamy, captivating, atmospheric and warm are a few words I would use to describe her.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,490 of 5,044
Just A R R I V E E E E E D !!!! :dt880smile:
I'm still at work .... I can't wait to get home to enjoy my new jewels !!!
What can I say .... there is so much good, but there is also something .... much less good for the sensitive ear.
The bass of the H50 is very nice, layered and articulated, but at the moment it is a little too "intrusive".
The mids are nice but a little recessed ...
The highs ... my weak point and consequently it has become so also for H50: "in MY ear" female voices are sometimes sibilant (the thing I hate most because I am extremely sensitive to sibilants). Sibilances is not a constant, it is more frequent in female vocals and lousy recordings, but it sure is there.
I hope that after the burn in things will improve and the sound will lose the noticeable edges and become less dry and crunchy ... Overall these ISNs are VERY beautiful and I love them very much, but they have some aspects that due to my sensitivity make them, RIGHT NOW, tiring to use for prolonged listening.
I REALLY hope that time will alleviate these defects ...
So sorry for my bad english.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #3,491 of 5,044
What can I say .... there is so much good, but there is also something .... much less good for the sensitive ear.
The bass of the H50 is very nice, layered and articulated, but at the moment it is a little too "intrusive".
The highs ... my weak point and consequently it has become so also for H50: "in MY ear" female voices are sometimes sibilant (the thing I hate most because I am extremely sensitive to sibilants). Sibilances is not a constant, it is more frequent in female vocals and lousy recordings, but it sure is there.
I hope that after the burn in things will improve and the sound will lose the noticeable edges and become less dry and crunchy ... Overall these ISNs are VERY beautiful and I love them very much, but they have some aspects that due to my sensitivity make them, RIGHT NOW, tiring to use for prolonged listening.

Experiment with tips to see if you can alter the FR just slightly. Also experient with insertion depth to see if you move any resonance peaks out of your sensitivities.

My advice would be to try a narrow bore tip and size down to achieve this. Try a Final E black silicone tip. This should lift the midrange slightly and curtail the highs. The deeper you can insert the better.

Let us know how it goes!

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #3,492 of 5,044
Give them burning time and the foam tips might help+ cable matching of course.
In addition, it is also can be a source selection.
For instance my desktop setup or using qudelix 5k usb (and not bluetooth) is making the H50 open up more and thicken the sound, thus making it sublime :cake:
Much more than just Qudelix bluetooth that's sound a bit harsher and punchier (though I use The Totem adapter with the S8 cable)
I had the Penon mix which got sent back because it was flawed (It was very good combination with the H50) and the GS849 that is on its way instead I guess will be even better from what I read.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #3,494 of 5,044

After a few days and tests, I can say that the change of tips has significantly reduced the problem of sibilants, I put the JVC Spiral Dot EP-FX9M-B. Probably the burn in of the H50 is doing its job and it seems to me that the listening is improving. :) :)
Now I am using NiceHCK C4-1 6N cable, I think it is a good cable, but I am open to good advice and suggestions. I think we can always improve :wink:

I want to thank all of you who have given me advice, suggestions and support. I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your support :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back