ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #3,496 of 5,044
Just waiting on a Penon Audio Mix cable as recommended by Penon. The stock s8 is wonderful. I'm greedy and just want to push it to its max in my budget. In the meantime, what is the actual best way to wear the H40??? Lotsa fiddling about and I am presently wearing them with the cable connector angled and pointing sharply upwards to ears, and cable over ear. Does this sound right? Thanks!

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,497 of 5,044
They are over the ear design by default. Your using them correct. I know the size of them are a bit on the big so it will get some used to. Luckily the design is ergonomic for being a physically bigger shell.

I tried the Mix on the H40 by the way and you think your hearing good things from your H40 now. Wait till you get your Mix cable on them. You got another aspect of the H40 sound you have not tapped into yet untill you get the Mix involved.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,499 of 5,044
They are over the ear design by default. Your using them correct. I know the size of them are a bit on the big so it will get some used to. Luckily the design is ergonomic for being a physically bigger shell.

I tried the Mix on the H40 by the way and you think your hearing good things from your H40 now. Wait till you get your Mix cable on them. You got another aspect of the H40 sound you have not tapped into yet untill you get the Mix involved.
150$.... that's a nice amount of money for an audio cable ... I really hope Penon puts them on sale sooner or later ... :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #3,500 of 5,044
So I brought the EST50 to work with me today. One of the negative things about reviewing all the time is that sometimes I can't listen to some of my faves for a while. This was the case for the EST50. Bass on these are so juicy Lol.

What does ISN have for us next? We will see.
Is there any new iem is coming from ISN ????

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #3,502 of 5,044

Thanks Dsnuts. Wow, I cannot wait. They are presently at the airport in China, waiting for the airfreight process to finish but Penon did say it could be an extra 2 weeks due to Covid delays. Got my H40 in 2 weeks! I loved your review, by the way and that settled it for me so thank you!!! The H40 is absolutely comfortable now, no issues but it did take a bit of time and experimentation to get there. Its not so plug and play. But worth it. None of the tips included wirked for me - silicone hurt my ears after 30 minutes, and the foam just muffled the sound. So, I got the Comply Audio Pro Smartcore model. Using the pull back from mouth and squish technique, I lose none of the highs. And isolation is first class.

The magical and totally immersive combo of my new H40 and A&K Sr25 mkII completely destroys my previous first tentative dab into decent portable gear...an Ibasso DX90 and Shure SE215 SPE.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,503 of 5,044
Thanks Dsnuts. Wow, I cannot wait. They are presently at the airport in China, waiting for the airfreight process to finish but Penon did say it could be an extra 2 weeks due to Covid delays. Got my H40 in 2 weeks! I loved your review, by the way and that settled it for me so thank you!!! The H40 is absolutely comfortable now, no issues but it did take a bit of time and experimentation to get there. Its not so plug and play. But worth it. None of the tips included wirked for me - silicone hurt my ears after 30 minutes, and the foam just muffled the sound. So, I got the Comply Audio Pro Smartcore model. Using the pull back from mouth and squish technique, I lose none of the highs. And isolation is first class.

The magical and totally immersive combo of my new H40 and A&K Sr25 mkII completely destroys my previous first tentative dab into decent portable gear...an Ibasso DX90 and Shure SE215 SPE.
And getting you into your music is what this hobby is all about. Good to see folks getting into the H40. It will become a classic for enthusiasts. You have the Mix to look forward to.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,504 of 5,044
And getting you into your music is what this hobby is all about. Good to see folks getting into the H40. It will become a classic for enthusiasts. You have the Mix to look forward to.
I hadn't really ventured far into portable hi fi. I have a really good hybrid tube stereo system. But now with a commute to work, its become a neccesity. I stumbled on the H40 through a search for an iem with a "spacious, big soundstage", as that and big bass floats my particular boat the most. The Shure's were narrow and not my signature at all. The Senn Ie8 is too dark. The H40 came up all the time on head fi, so that was it. And believe me, I could not believe what I heard when I first put them on. The height information is incredible. And the overall sound is oh so cohesive. My kinda presentation. And all this glory before the Penon Mix cable!!

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #3,506 of 5,044
Well it is good to get those fully run in anyhow before a cable swap anyway but glad they are to your liking. They do have that analogish sound that is addictive.
Indeed, mate! I'm a vinyl man, first and foremost. Anything approaching an analogue-y sound is music to my ears, and oh yes these are the most analogue sounding IEMs I have experienced..no harsh digital artefacts, or that slightly metallic edge to the highs, here. Sheer, fatigue free listening with detail. For the very affordable price, these are a massive bargain, in my book. Go forth and share the love!

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #3,507 of 5,044
it's the H50's weathering turn.
Superb detail retrieval from the get go. From bass all the way to the upper treble.
I'm using Sony Ep-ex11 tips to chase that ISN Bass.

Playing the 38 carat collection album atm..

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #3,508 of 5,044
..... just wanna say.. thanks again @Dsnuts for suggesting and giving me this way the chance to get the marvelous H50 earphone..
The spatiality /dimensionality of the sound is exceptional...
the sub bass thumb is also phenomenal (cannot compare it off course to a bone conduction driver earphone like the MEST/MEXT but... I am getting the latest one really soon and I ll be able to tell if there are any differences according to my hearing abilities off course ..)
all of the aforementioned of course were possible to H50 case due to the superb custom like fit which I was lucky enough to achieve using Final-E black silicone tips for the closest to perfect insertion. it was the closest to custom experience I probably ever had (along with two to three other in ears in my possession) so due to this fact, the thumb of the lowest frequencies was almost perfect for my taste..
I get really passionate regarding sound most often and usually listen to really high volumes (DX160 70 step, for example) and I even really liked the slightly distortion coming from the sub bass reminiscent of a true home stereo floor speaker, strangely enough I like it this way !!!!
it's a raw sound maybe not the most refined one but so alive and kicking.....
I just feel so lucky that I got this ISN earphone and having completed over then 200 hours of burn in it's for sure one of my most favorite ones in my small collection not to be ever given away by any means....

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,509 of 5,044
Using Sony EP-EX11 tips, and a premium pure Japanese copper
IMG_20220308_181649.jpg

Finally got to hear that fantastic ISN Sub bass. Fast but properly extended, detailed, highly resolving
Neutral, detailed Mids, extended, detailed, sparkly, highly resolving treble.
Screenshot_20220308_182755_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg

Still early days, just passed 50 hour mark.
Sounding good so far...

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #3,510 of 5,044
H50 Brilliance continues...
1646893105839.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back