ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 3, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #2,596 of 5,044
I took them to work and back every day for almost half a year listening to them during breaks and during work at times. I do a lot of my reviews at my work actually during lunch breaks. They got at least a good 200 hours of burn in before I started writing about them. They improve greatly after burn in and that was the sound I wrote about. They still sound awesome today.

I dont get to listen to them as much now a days as I am constantly doing reviews but I still reach for them on occasion. They sound great every time I hear them. I do have a nice cable on them the ISN SC4 which has been a great match for them so I just use them on the H40s.
Hard to drive the h40? I have ibasso dc03, dc04, shanlig ua1 and e1da 9038s

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #2,599 of 5,044
Nope. I work for Kaiser Permanente in Colorado I am a health care worker. I work in eye care. Penon works out of Hong Kong. Lol

Most Sr members of headfi are approached by manufacturers of audio goods at one point or another and they are asked to do the occasional review for them. Some are asked more than others pending on review history/ person.

I am a terrible reviewer compared to some here but I do know what I hear so I suppose Penon took a liking to my approach and so I have been writing reviews for them. I suppose running the discovery thread one of the most popular threads on headfi with over 6 million views helps spread the word on earphones. I get approached all the time by random manufacturers that want me to do some type of review for them. I don't belong to face page or tweeter or instaham. Headfi is the only place I do reviews.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,600 of 5,044
Nope. I work for Kaiser Permanente in Colorado I am a health care worker. I work in eye care. Penon works out of Hong Kong. Lol

Most Sr members of headfi are approached by manufacturers of audio goods at one point or another and they are asked to do the occasional review for them. Some are asked more than others pending on review history/ person.

I am a terrible reviewer compared to some here but I do know what I hear so I suppose Penon took a liking to my approach and so I have been writing reviews for them. I suppose running the discovery thread one of the most popular threads on headfi with over 6 million views helps spread the word on earphones. I get approached all the time by random manufacturers that want me to do some type of review for them. I don't belong to face page or tweeter or instaham. Headfi is the only place I do reviews.
So you work for the Penon Audio Store :) It's not nice to play with other people's wallets and hard-earned money.

Jul 3, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,601 of 5,044

Plesae do not be humble so much. You're a fine reviewer, and I bought the Land based on your review, which has proved to be the best decision I have made till date!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #2,602 of 5,044
So you work for the Penon Audio Store :) It's not nice to play with other people's wallets and hard-earned money.
Ahh...that's quite a bit of a stretch there, and quite a long extrapolation, not to mention ill-informed judgement.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,604 of 5,044
Do you think Penon would pay him if you wrote bad things or honest things about his products ? Not an authentic reviewer.
I think youre being a little harsh and could take a different approach. I do understand your point though. You'd have to ask DSnuts, as I won't assume anything, but it would be nice if reviewers stated if they were compensated in anyway for there review. Rather that be paid per review, paid for time, or given free products. I do believe he has been pretty upfront though and stated he was given the H40 but bought the EST50 but I may have read incorrectly.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,605 of 5,044
I think youre being a little harsh and could take a different approach. I do understand your point though. You'd have to ask DSnuts, as I won't assume anything, but it would be nice if reviewers stated if they were compensated in anyway for there review. Rather that be paid per review, paid for time, or given free products. I do believe he has been pretty upfront though and stated he was given the H40 but bought the EST50 but I may have read incorrectly.
Oh yes , the h40 starts to sound normal after 200 hours,but after thousand hours it's absolutely fantastic 😀 Of course this requires a 100 dollar Penon cable 🤟🤟🤟

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #2,606 of 5,044
It isnt that I get paid to do any reviews at all. My judgements are my judgements. I am trying to contribute to the idea of discovering great earphones and a new sound.

Some manufacturers so happen to have a better track record of well tuned well designed earphones than others I can honestly say I have yet to hear a Penon made earphone that was an outright reject. If you ask all the owners of Penon made stuff. They have a large following as they do stand up business and design great products. Sure folks have different likes and dislikes but your not going to read about a terrible product they have made. I garner no favors just because I post about earphones I get a review sample of. If a review sample I get is bonk I will clearly say so. I refuse to recommend and post about stuff that is terrible.

I have no issues with telling manufacturers how I hear their products. I actually get samples I return or not write about. I actually refuse to write about stuff that gets no chance to make it on the threads.

I dont write just to get the free sample. Lol. I really couldn't care less. I owned 3 businesses in the past 20 years. I am better off than a majority of my friends and I can actually retire at an early age cus guess what I am well off. I took on reviewing earphones to contribute to our hobby. If your thinking writing reviews is simple and that is getting paid somehow. My man writing reviews is not easy.

If you see my list of earphones and headphones I own on my profile. I bought all those and own a lot more. Most of the reviewers I know here on headfi are stand up folks and have nothing to do with reviews just to get a sample. It is easy to see it that way but that is not my motivation for reviews. Writing about sound is always a challenge if folks can get a good idea of how a new phone sounds by reading what I wrote I consider that a good thing. That is the goal of my reviews and nothing more.

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,607 of 5,044
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #2,608 of 5,044
Oh yes , the h40 starts to sound normal after 200 hours,but after thousand hours it's absolutely fantastic 😀 Of course this requires a 100 dollar Penon cable 🤟🤟🤟
Oh by the way, I absolutely hate H40. And I openly stated my disagreement when he declared that there's nothing better than H40 under $200. He wasn't butthurt.
But, I bought TSMR LAND after reading his opinions. And that was the best decision ever I made.

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,610 of 5,044
Everyone has different tastes in sound. So it wasn't to aces liking that is not surprising. I have yet to read about a product from budget to flagship stuff that is a 100% liked.

But there is a reason why the ISN H40 is ISNs all time best seller. It was even liked by HBB aka bad guy so you can imagine how many of those sold for ISN. But not everyone is gonna like them so it really matters what type of sound your going for more than anything and what your preferences are.

BGVP is a hit or miss company they make stuff that clearly garners followings but then they come up with a dud. It is the try this and that approach to tuning that shows their tuning philosophies' or the lack there of., Kinera is another company that this applies to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back