ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,506 of 5,045
This is exactly what I was worried about when I heard they were following the "Penon Sound". H40 has that wow factor day 1. Penon Sound doesn't do that for me. DSnuts does say they get better with time though. 🤞
Who do you think made the H40? ISN is a sub brand of Penon don't know if you know this. Kinda like the Toyota and Lexus analogy. They are all made by Toyota.

I would most definitely burn the EST50 in ASAP. This is a requirement for them. I know there are debate to if burn in effect sounds or not. Truth is on some earphones burn in doesn't do a thing but the EST50 changes tonality and sound opens up greatly with burn in. Highly recommended.

Out of box will make you wonder what your listening to so ya I would just let it run overnight and then take a listen.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,507 of 5,045
This is exactly what I was worried about when I heard they were following the "Penon Sound"
Hopefully, there will be more impression from EST50 owners. Else, just keep waiting 😅

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,508 of 5,045
Who do you think made the H40? ISN is a sub brand of Penon don't know if you know this. Kinda like the Toyota and Lexus analogy. They are all made by Toyota.

I would most definitely burn the EST50 in ASAP. This is a requirement for them. I know there are debate to if burn in effect sounds or not. Truth is on some earphones burn in doesn't do a thing but the EST50 changes tonality and sound opens up greatly with burn in. Highly recommended.

Out of box will make you wonder what your listening to so ya I would just let it run overnight and then take a listen.
I realize they make both. And I've always appreciated your reviews and opinions. But the H40 sounds very different than the Penon line. There is a reason companies like IE Lexus/Toyota brand the way they do. Also why Authors use pen names. Sometime they want to try something a little different without hurting the reputation, or want to reach another market/fanbase.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,509 of 5,045
Let's just say I expected more?
but it's still early days
They sound way too warm and too one note in the bass on open listen. Lol. I know exactly how they sounded the first time I heard them. They will transform for you if you let it. Unfortunatly I do know some folks that will take them for what they sound like on open listen which is a shame.

What I am hearing today is completely different. You got a ways to go before they open up.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,510 of 5,045
I realize they make both. And I've always appreciated your reviews and opinions. But the H40 sounds very different than the Penon line. There is a reason companies like IE Lexus/Toyota brand the way they do. Also why Authors use pen names. Sometime they want to try something a little different without hurting the reputation, or want to reach another market/fanbase.
Ya I was blown away by the H40 on first listen as well. They did a great job with the tuning on them and had that large stage. In fact I do believe it has one of the largest stages for a sub $200 earphones. A combinations of that wider stage and excellent dynamics and it was in deed a wow moment.

There are elements of the Penon sound on the H40. The EST50s due to the unique dynamic and EST implemention sounds off on open listen and will make a non burn in believer into a burn in believer. Lol. I think once folks give them the time they deserve. People will see why I consdier the EST50 a true successor to the H40.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,511 of 5,045

Estats Drivers behave differently, this is a fact, as @tgx78 observations on Volts' est. They require "weathering" (burn-in). I concur this.
They simply love current (ests w/o transformer or energizer in general).
I hooked up the Volts on a WA6, for an hour, i observed a significant difference thereafter. More extension, more audibility - like someone turned on a loudness switch. They are not overbearing of course, but just more audible...

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,512 of 5,045
Ya I was blown away by the H40 on first listen as well. They did a great job with the tuning on them and had that large stage. In fact I do believe it has one of the largest stages for a sub $200 earphones. A combinations of that wider stage and excellent dynamics and it was in deed a wow moment.

There are elements of the Penon sound on the H40. The EST50s due to the unique dynamic and EST implemention sounds off on open listen and will make a non burn in believer into a burn in believer. Lol. I think once folks give them the time they deserve. People will see why I consdier the EST50 a true successor to the H40.
Just got mine, on first listen, it does sound like the H40 with EST drivers, the DD seems to be slightly faster than the one in the H40 a bit more agile, really like the textured mids as well.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,513 of 5,045
Just got mine, on first listen, it does sound like the H40 with EST drivers, the DD seems to be slightly faster than the one in the H40 a bit more agile, really like the textured mids as well.
Wait till you get about a weeks worth of burn in on that dynamic driver.

I have been just using music to run in my unit and that seems to do the trick. But like I said wait till you get about a weeks worth of burn in. Lol.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,515 of 5,045
All I can say is EST50 doesn't suck. :o2smile:
Fast/er bass for sure.
No need for burn-in, liking it so far but still need to explore.
EST trebles won't suck, as sure as the sun rises...

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,516 of 5,045
EST trebles won't suck, as sure as the sun rises...
If you'd have heard Shozy X AAW Pola you'd have a different opinion...

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2,517 of 5,045
If you'd have heard Shozy X AAW Pola you'd have a different opinion...
Probably i'd be referring to the later models...

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,518 of 5,045
Probably i'd be referring to the later models...
After the Pola I was truly wary of EST...but LAND has reinstated my trust.

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2,519 of 5,045
It is like all things in this hobby. You can have a diamond plated dynamic driver with gold plated cable that comes with 15 BA drivers and if the tuning is not right then the sound will not be optimized to take full advantage of such drivers. ESTs are the same way. I personally have not heard one that I disliked. It comes down to how well it is ultized and tuned. Penon folks are experienced at tuning ESTs so just know EST50s is not a rookie tune job.

So I have been doing some tip rolling and I love the stock green tips that come with the EST50s on them but I find the actual symbio Ws gives better balancing for me. If you guys own the Symbio W tips give those a try without the foam that is. It is identical to the stock green tips but is a touch bit longer on the nozzle so the tip sits a bit deeper inside your ears but gives better treble articulation, balancing out the sound better for my ears. Tried Azla sendafit, Final Es/ narrow bores, Spiral dots and the green tip is better sounding to me vs all of these well known aftermarket brands on the EST50. Symbio Ws being a slight improvement on the green ones.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,520 of 5,045
It is like all things in this hobby. You can have a diamond plated dynamic driver with gold plated cable that comes with 15 BA drivers and if the tuning is not right then the sound will not be optimized to take full advantage of such drivers. ESTs are the same way. I personally have not heard one that I disliked. It comes down to how well it is ultized and tuned. Penon folks are experienced at tuning ESTs so just know EST50s is not a rookie tune job.

So I have been doing some tip rolling and I love the stock green tips that come with the EST50s on them but I find the actual symbio Ws gives better balancing for me. If you guys own the Symbio W tips give those a try without the foam that is. It is identical to the stock green tips but is a touch bit longer on the nozzle so the tip sits a bit deeper inside your ears but gives better treble articulation, balancing out the sound better for my ears. Tried Azla sendafit, Final Es/ narrow bores, Spiral dots and the green tip is better sounding to me vs all of these well known aftermarket brands on the EST50. Symbio Ws being a slight improvement on the green ones.
Have you tried ePro Horns? As it seems that the EST50 is Penon-ish, the Horns might be the ticket for improved SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back