ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #2,476 of 5,042
1624513300540.png

Pero esta imagen, ¿son ISN EST50?
Yesterday I bought my EST50 and I only could choose green or blue. My color was green.
That wooden color is really nice too!!

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #2,477 of 5,042
3rd day. The tonal shift I posted about earlier is now the set tonal quality which sounds very natural and balanced. Sound is approaching liquid smooth at this point. It is surprising how good this Sonion BA is for mids as everything has body to the sound but now doesn't sound as warm is it did on open listen. For guys that own the Globes you will recognize how the mids are tuned on the EST50 which is to say is very balanced with the treble and for having a brawny bass end is really is balanced well.
DSC08229.JPG
What is clear to me when I do these comparisons is just how complete each one of these earphones sound unto their own. It is when you start to go back n forth what contrast each phone has vs the other. As I posted about sound bores last night when comparing to the Globes dual bore design. The EST50 having 3. The Tansio Mirai LAND has 4.

This in turn gives even a better separation of notes when heard overall leading to better imaging. LAND specialty is its ability to portray a very complete treble, detail, excellent transients clarity, slight reverb in treble decay for treble notes that give treble some shimmer and sparkle. LAND is for folks that want their treble and bass. The other aspect that is added to the LAND is that it uses two BAs for the mids. I noticed Layering of the mid bands is increased as well as imaging due to this double BA design. This aspect becomes even better on their new flagship the Sparks.

This comparison was done using optimized cables as I refuse to use the stock cable that came with the LAND. So LAND is using the PAC480 and the EST50 using ISN AG8.

The crazy thing is when you listen to the EST50s there is really not much drop off even though it is using one BA for the mids. LAND is more of a shallow U shaped sound tuning so mids take a slight step back from the treble and the bass emphasis. You can say the EST50 is more of a L shaped sound signature as the sub bass end has the most emphasis over the entire sound. Again due to the sound design mids are more forward in balancing on the EST50 added a more forward bass signature.

For fans of detailed extended EST treble the LAND has greater treble emphasis especially lower treble and both the EST50 and the LAND exhibit excellent extension. LAND sound a touch cleaner due to having more treble energy for the sound. Both exhibiting some outstanding bass. Due to the mids being a bit more relaxed in presence LAND has some outstanding stage. In fact has a wider stage then the flagship Sparks. LANDs exhibit an uptick in imaging but for folks that love their rich mids to be upfront the EST50 has more mids presence than the LAND. LAND makes up for the slightly laid back mids with a broader mid range. A wide mid range presence gives the perfect tool for listening to larger live set pieces and it sounds marvelous.

EST50 gives you that vocal intimacy and analogue like musical euphoric presentation that is missing in a lot of hybrids now a days. In many ways I feel the EST50 sounds just as good as the LAND especially with the ISN AG8 cable, which ironically would cost the price of the LAND. And these two actually compliment with a different sound signature. LAND has better technicalities with more treble presence. EST50 has a slightly dialed down treble presence in comparison especially for lower treble but makes up for it on the other end. Sub bass is great on both earphones but EST50 sub bass is STOUT. So it will come down to if you want your mids to be more forward with a bold bass end or a wider more technical sound with treble and sub bass that has greater emphasis than the mids of the LAND. LAND represents one of the best technical yet fun sound signatures. A much cheaper alternative to the Sony IER Z1R. vs the EST50 and absolute full bodied musical analoguish brute sub bass killa thrilla with very good technical chops sprinkled with dual ESTs that liven up the entire sound. A bold and rich flavored Tribrid design that is starting to take shape as one of the best in the price range.

When I did my Spark review and was listening to the flagship Tansio Mirai earphone. I was wondering what the Spark would sound like with a stout dynamic. I think I got my answer. For folks that are getting a set soon..

You all are in for a treat. After burn in that is.
Very very very interesting and Land complementay iem!
Would be interesting a comparison with Volt...

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,478 of 5,042
We only have these two colors of wood grain, and I am using what you want now. :relaxed:
:)
Great choice, looks stunnig!!! :)
Reading @Dsnuts feedback i'm sure ISN EST50 will have great success as H40 or better!
@Penon is EST50 similar to Insects Awaken for dimensions and shape? in pics looks very similar.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,480 of 5,042
DSC08236.JPG

You mean like this. Understated looker.

So I am gonna suggest looking into pure silver cables for upgrades on the EST50. Cable shown is the Penon Mix which is half crystal copper and half pure silver.
1624559863386.png

Unfortunately included cable the ISN S8 while is good enough for a pack in cable does not really maximize the sonics of what the EST50 can do. Silver to enhance upper details and balance out the bass end more than what the S8 does. S8 to my ears is more leaning toward OCC or copper properties and hence added warmth when using the cables. I think ISN could have done better with their ISN S4 actually as a pack in cable which is more silver based in what it does. In any case

Your best resolving cables really brings out the best in the EST50 and hence the Mix here shown is a great match. I still think the AG8 is optimal but at $50 less the Mix here enhances just about every aspect of the EST50 sound the Mix has great balance in what it does for host earphones hence the match up is great with the EST50.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,482 of 5,042
I havent noticed any driver flex or any type of suction effect on the EST50. There was very minor driver flex on my H40 but not enough to bug me.
DSC08238.JPG
EST50 vs Volt. I consider the EST50 Volts younger brother. They share some striking similarities in sound balancing using similar type of drivers too. Volts are like the grown up version of the EST50 sound design. Both earphones leaning more toward musicality, fullness and immersive qualities of sound balancing.

Both earphones use a 3 bore design so more similarities there but the Volt has more refinements for its sound design, a wider deeper stage vs the EST50. To be fair it isnt like the EST50 has a weak or closed off stage. It is just that these higher end IEMS do put focus on stage and depth of the sound. In fact EST50s has a remarkable surround like stage due to how musical they sound that is in no way claustrophobic or closed in sounding. EST50 stage is actually pretty excellent about par with the ISN H40 actually.

The difference are in how the drivers were utilized, On the volts the mids are using both Sonion BAs, the EST50 uses a single Sonion BA for the mids and one knowles for treble. The Volt is using the quad ESTs for treble. It is known EST drivers struggle a bit in the lower trebles so by default EST drivers are more about extension, air, dimensional qualities to your treble.

Since the EST50 has a dedicated BA doing lower treble it was tuned to be proficient there but the sound tuning has the treble not being so prominent which again is a fine balancing act here. Where the EST50 stand out from the Volt is its bass presence. Volt has some good bass but to my ears is a bit more even handed with the balancing.

EST50 bass is not so much more emphasized but this silicone dynamic being used is most definitely catered toward bass fans. Sub bass especially has emphasis to the likes of some of the best sub bass performers I can think of including my IER Z1R. Mids strike a very similar tonality and forward presence but the difference again is a bit like how they are compared to the Tansio Mirai LAND and how those were tuned with two BAs doing mids. Volts has better imaging and detail in the mids due to both Sonion BAs being used there and mids has more of an airy quality as the stage is more enhanced on the Volts as well. Treble presence and extension is the most identical between the two with Volts exhibiting a bit more airy quality to upper treble notes. Volts shows a more tonally balanced and basically more refinements and again more technical yet uses a very similar sound balancing as the EST50.

Essentially your getting 90% of the Volts performance at almost half the cost. Laws of diminishing return is happening here. EST50 with a upgraded cable comes even closer to the Volt. Volt with an upgraded cable takes off into a different stratosphere in sonics however so if I was comparing both units with upgraded cables it would not be a fair match but as they are the EST50 comes strikingly closer to the Volt in performance and is also able to show some uniqueness due to the bass driver that is again Stout in what it does. For folks that have never owned the Volts the EST50 will surprise in many ways if you end up getting the EST50 your really getting a bit of the Volt magic with them. Both are supremely musical in their presentations. If you can imagine what the EST50 would sound like with even better refinements that is in fact what the volts are.

As similar as the EST50 are to the sound balancing to the volts they clearly have their own sound and tuning involved at a bit over half the cost of the volt the EST50 I can say is got some good value to what your getting. Especially if your a bass fan.

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,483 of 5,042
DSC08236.JPG

You mean like this. Understated looker.

So I am gonna suggest looking into pure silver cables for upgrades on the EST50. Cable shown is the Penon Mix which is half crystal copper and half pure silver. 1624559863386.png

Unfortunately included cable the ISN S8 while is good enough for a pack in cable does not really maximize the sonics of what the EST50 can do. Silver to enhance upper details and balance out the bass end more than what the S8 does. S8 to my ears is more leaning toward OCC or copper properties and hence added warmth when using the cables. I think ISN could have done better with their ISN S4 actually as a pack in cable which is more silver based in what it does. In any case

Your best resolving cables really brings out the best in the EST50 and hence the Mix here shown is a great match. I still think the AG8 is optimal but at $50 less the Mix here enhances just about every aspect of the EST50 sound the Mix has great balance in what it does for host earphones hence the match up is great with the EST50.

That's what I'm talking about. Moss looking color with that harp logo of ISN. Nice contrasting design with good choice of color. Thanks for the shot.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #2,484 of 5,042
Regarding the H40 mod as suggested by DynamicEars, could someone tell me if the replacement grill just slots into the nozzle or would I need to apply some
type of adhesive?

Alright enough with the joke already!
They are the H40 themselves ~ The modded ones!

I just keep using the H40 (its close to half a year by now) and somehow still realize how good the H40 tuning is with that grande presentation, the coherence and the big soundstage.
As i wrote last time with my impressions, that the bass is a little big for me, and somehow a bit bloated, just a little bit with mid bass hump. And details are not their strength (they are quite good but not spectacular like their soundstage)
Actually i have been think about this sometimes ago, but i didn't bother and let the day pass.
So 2 days ago, out of my curiousity, I cant help it, since the nozzle grill holes also smaller than usual, they tend to be blocked someday.
Short story, I open up the grill out of my curiousity.

lift up the grill with needle from the edge
20200721_212244_HDR~2.jpg

And... i found out that there is a mesh damper stick on behind the metal nozzle grill. Believe it or not, this kind of mesh damper is effecting sound more than cables, or eartips.
I know they intended to tame the harshness, to smoothen trebles and high mids but from my experiences, the bad side effects is shadowing the good effects.
This kind of damper, the mesh cloth made bass frequencies bloated, because they reduce air flow as much, the mesh cloth blocked the air way. Think of tape the vent holes or blocking the entire nozzle. Bass will become bigger, but bloated, boomy.
They really need to stop using this kind of damper. Or at least, don't block entire surface, make the damper like donut shape, leaving the center portion uncovered.

Learn from big boys please, JVC and Sony how they make details yet clear, smooth, and precise. They are using sponge, from the cheapo MH755 until top end M7/M9, I guess same with Z1R too.
JVC does it different way, take a look on FDX1 filters, yes a rolled cotton on side of the nozzle, that is their secret damper. Main point is don't ever block the entire surface, never block the air.
This is not my first time, Been doing this to a lot IEMs, particularly with similar mesh dampers.
THe BQEYZ Spring 1 (see my Spring 1 review), various KZs (if you want it to be mentioned, but they need serious other damper), BLON BL-03 (see BLON thread).
Even the BQEYZ themselves finally take the suggestion, and Spring 2 is born, without mesh cloth.

there is a mesh cloth damper behind
20200721_212440~2.jpg

Then I changed the grill with spare grill nozzle, the 4.7mm net grill is way to go. I would using cut of sponge or cotton if they are go wild (harsh).
5 minutes tricks change your $200 IEMs sounded like $500 ones, goes from $300 sounds. Seriously.
I was scared how good the H40 in their full potential, the mesh cloth hold theirs.
HOLY MOLY!!! i was expecting some upgrades, i can guess on its clarity, and maybe slight tightness in bass, but they go far beyond my expectation!!

left : after grill mod, right : original grill (small holes and mesh cloth under the grill, bad airflow)
20200721_212742~2.jpg

+++Bass is 1 of the best bass now in their class, that sub bass focused, mid bass tightness and speed, they are very agile and fast. Great rumbles and texture and very very clean. Winning point is here. The quantity is reduce a little bit so basshead please be warned,
but they go from bloated quantity to great quality bass, with very good proportion between sub bass and mid bass, no more mid bass bloat. You have to hear them by yourself, this bass section is the major improvement you can get with this mod.

++clarity. definitely become much clearer sounds, close your eyes, guitar strings are there few steps from you.

++coherence and tuning. Tuning become more proportion, its like Blessing 2 tuning based on FR, with bit uplift subbass still with their decent note weight, more balance, less shouty upper mids but more highs extension

+speed. faster transient, catching up every single notes, precisely, handles busy tracks better.

+details. Add more of micro details, not quite a jump but definitely better than original with mesh cloth.

+soundstage. Same width, or maybe slightly bigger but only a hair differences, but they added depth and sounded more natural yet airy

++imaging. Imaging become much more precise and sharp in a good way. Big improvement from original slight blurry imaging.

+separation. become more clear with air in between instruments

+highs extension become more better but a bit intense and not so forgiving to bad records

*same forwarded and smooth mids, not shouty at all

-more intense highs, especially 6-8khz so treble sensitive people need to place cut of cotton inside (dont block entire nozzle)

seriously they improved almost in every sectors, especially the sub bass and mid bass, and they are 100% reversible if you dont like it.
Ok FAQ, what is the cons then? I want to say nothing, sounded like too good to be true, but really they are not harsh at all. Their tuning of pinna gain is definitely less than 10db. That explains much.
I was prepared to damper the 3,6,8khz but i didnt need to. from songs that i tried on past 2 days, only around 5% that give me sibilances, but they have bright recording. you can add cotton a bit if you want to your preferences, just make sure dont block entire nozzle.
Maybe the only downside they sounded more "RAW", so they more unforgiving to bad recording, again especially on 7-8khz, ocassional sibilances

So are they become much better? how better?
Yes they are, much much better, take with grain of salt since i cant A-B comparing, but from my memories, they are on similar or catching level of IT04, Sony Z5, better than blessing 1. And leave entry level midfi like Spring 1, i3, NX7 Pro behind there with definite gap.

I compared them with my Sony M7, they are catching closely now, crazy $200 vs $600 comparison. M7 have better layering obviously, its their speciality. But the clarity, the overal tuning and balance,
the Bass quality, the coherence, the note weight they are very close now, just slightly below M7. Before i can heard the gap easily.
One more info, I bought my H40 at full price, not review unit - same with my Sony IER-M7, Im trying to share this info objectively, I don't want to overhype it.

20200722_111651_HDR~2.jpg

Seriously from IEMs i modded (and mostly they are better) only H40 give me this goosebumps. You have to try them yourself. and please do
especially @Dsnuts , give them a shot and compare them with Blessing 2 and Mofafest Trio. What? I'm not kidding.

*Note : H40, 150 hours+, default cable single ended, DX160 high gain, azla sedna short M with deep insertion (ps : now the spiral dot++ also pair great with this set, before i said too softening, too bouncy feeling)

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #2,486 of 5,042
Thanks for all the information Dsnuts! How does this new Isn looks against Penon Orb with os849 cable or the latest Rose iem?
While I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing the EST50, I can tell you from experience that Penon house sound (which the EST50 seemingly shares a good bit of) is much warmer than the Rose QT-9. The Rose has visceral, impactful bass but the overall sound is very clean and open. The Penon/EST50 sound is richer and more colored. They’re both great but very different IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,487 of 5,042
Thanks for all the information Dsnuts! How does this new Isn looks against Penon Orb with os849 cable or the latest Rose iem?

While I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing the EST50, I can tell you from experience that Penon house sound (which the EST50 seemingly shares a good bit of) is much warmer than the Rose QT-9. The Rose has visceral, impactful bass but the overall sound is very clean and open. The Penon/EST50 sound is richer and more colored. They’re both great but very different IMO.
I agree here and the Orbs utilizing a single full range Sonion BA and 10mm dynamic. It is very much in line with Penon sound but with the newer Globes and now the EST50 both these are upgrades on the Orb tuning as reflected by their price points.

Orbs is what can be achieved using one of the best full range Sonion BAs and a great 10mm dynamic. The only real lacking aspect of the Orbs was treble extension and presence. With a pure silver cable the Orb sounds very complete and sound similar to the Globes actually.

Globes takes that sound design one step further and uses a dedicated BA for mids and adds a single BA for treble with that same dynamic.. EST50 even further fleshes out that sound design adding 2ESTs for upper treble and then adds a more stout dynamic for bass and you get a gradual step in sound design and ability.

Rose is a completely different tuning altogether. Folks that love the Rose QT-9 MK2 energetic sound signature.. The UBER upgraded version of these would be the Tansio Mirai LAND.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #2,488 of 5,042
Regarding the H40 mod as suggested by DynamicEars, could someone tell me if the replacement grill just slots into the nozzle or would I need to apply some
type of adhesive?

No adhesive required. They'll pop in, although a pin might help to seat the edges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back