is there such thing as an "open" iem?
Sep 19, 2010 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

beck13

Head-Fier
as i start to dive deeper into the world of head audio gears, i noticed a pattern, which was that my fave equipments are "open" type (audio technica ad700 & koss ksc75)

i initially bought the head-direct re2 as i needed something that will isolate from outside noise and vice versa
however, now i'm curious to know if there are such things as open type IEMs?

i still remember when i first got my ad700, and when i first heard the start of track 4, "Contractor" by Lamb of God off their "Wrath" album... i honestly freaked out thinking there was some dude screaming in my living room, i kid you not

so to sum up, i'd love to find an IEM that can do what the AD700 can do, i mean i'd take my ad700 everywhere with me if it weren't for the GIGANTIC size and the "look-at-me" factor

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 29
The Stax portable is (SR-001), but you have to use the amp that goes with it as they don't plug straight into a DAP.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 29
so there are actually open type IEMs?

that stax look extremely uncomfortable, and the jvc is way out of my budget atm but is going on my wish list though ^ ^

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 29
Phiaton PS210, as open as an in ear can ever be. If you like AD700 sound signature then you will probably like PS210 as well. It is like AD700 with a more forwarded mid. Soundstage is not as wide of course, but still better than most IEM out there.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 29
thanks!
now that's one interesting (and heavy) looking iem... i know what i'm buying next lol
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 29
I have small ear canals, and the Stax weren't as bad as they look.  They do come with a couple of different sizes of tips.  It's debatable whether a faster pair of headphones exists than them (than the SR-003 actually) period.  However, by "open" they have zero isolation -- I really mean zero.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
Phiaton PS210, as open as an in ear can ever be. If you like AD700 sound signature then you will probably like PS210 as well. It is like AD700 with a more forwarded mid. Soundstage is not as wide of course, but still better than most IEM out there.

That's gotta be the one.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 29
I haven't heard the AD700 nor the Phiatons, but since I'm a huge fan of open IEMs I'll throw in my 2c:

Playaz Sonia II: Extremely cheap, on closing sale now for €10 on the playaz-audio.com webside. Bloated bass needs to be EQd, other than that great bang/buck. Spacious sound.

FX700: Expensive at >$300, but one of the very best IEMs I've ever heard. Sound incredible with a loose seal, as close to full sized cans as it gets with IEMs.

Final Audio Design 1601SB: Even more expensive ($700) and more open, but IMO not worth it. Sound mighty impressive with some stuff, but overall I prefer the FX700.

Radius DDM: <$150: I've only had these for a few days, so take this with a grain of salt: IMO these are unrecognized open gems. Most impressions I've read came from folks who were trying to get a good seal with them. If you succeed, they're rather treble shy and bass heavy. But if you use smaller tips that barely seal they sound excellent, much better balanced and almost within reach of the FX700.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 29
really looking forward about what you think about the DDMS, I don't want to hijack the thread of course so i'll wait for your thoughts on the corresponding thread.

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 29
phiaton ps 210 is the thing you are looking for...

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
I haven't heard the AD700 nor the Phiatons, but since I'm a huge fan of open IEMs I'll throw in my 2c:

Playaz Sonia II: Extremely cheap, on closing sale now for €10 on the playaz-audio.com webside. Bloated bass needs to be EQd, other than that great bang/buck. Spacious sound.

FX700: Expensive at >$300, but one of the very best IEMs I've ever heard. Sound incredible with a loose seal, as close to full sized cans as it gets with IEMs.

Final Audio Design 1601SB: Even more expensive ($700) and more open, but IMO not worth it. Sound mighty impressive with some stuff, but overall I prefer the FX700.

Radius DDM: <$150: I've only had these for a few days, so take this with a grain of salt: IMO these are unrecognized open gems. Most impressions I've read came from folks who were trying to get a good seal with them. If you succeed, they're rather treble shy and bass heavy. But if you use smaller tips that barely seal they sound excellent, much better balanced and almost within reach of the FX700.

I second the DDM recommendation, James they will become even better after 100 hours of burn in 
regular_smile .gif
. 10-20 hours of pink noise (mid to low volume) will do wonders with treble, texture detail and soundstage/imaging.

As for the dude screaming in your living room beck13, i was on a ship 3 weeks ago and suddenly i heard a child crying. I was looking left and right for the child till i remembered that the crying was part of the track i was listening to with my DDMs.

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 29
@james: I see that you didn't last very long resisting them
smily_headphones1.gif
This goes to show you how I'll never understand how two people can hear entirely different. I tried most tips in my collection minus those large sizes that won't fit in my ears and the treble was quite soft but I did like the sound..the fit on the other hand is a completely different story. Although it may have just been that the bass and mids just overwhelmed the treble into hiding
tongue.gif
I don't think they are that great in imaging for some reason although most seem to like them for that.  Also for AD700 think of a headphone with large sound stage similar to my tastes but even more bass light than whatever you have ever heard. I owned them for a week wondering where the heck the bass was before I sold them.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 29
i really like the way the ddm has been described and i won't be using an open IEM outside very often, but oh damn... that's even more hideous than the stax one... >_< i'm no apple fanboy that goes gaga over shiny and pretty things like sheeps/zombies/etc (in fact, i hate apple with passion) but i like products that have good balance of performance and design (like my car 
bigsmile_face.gif
 lol)

and the colors!!!1!!1~ oh wow, maybe if it were like black with silver strip panel, or maybe blood red with black strip panel... but maroon and gold, gee that really can't help with the sales >_<

i'll try the phiaton ps210 first then get the fx700 once i have some more funds (i always loved wood finish.. mmmm)

--edit

btw, the back of the ps210, it looks like an airplane jet engine, and what looks to be small blades held by the center piece/cone, are there actually gaps in between the blades, like a mesh that lets the air in and out? or is that for just looks? (i apologize if this doesn't make any sense, i didn't know how to put in a better way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back