Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Nov 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #31 of 166
if I had money to burn I would get a pair. i don't so will be blissfully ignorant and still think and feel that my Rev1's are just about the most perfect headphone I have heard. After all one has to know when enough is enough and stop. LCD3's this year, LCD4's next.

If I were to carry on instead of simply enjoying my music collection I would just be thinking how to "improve" the sound. After my next amp and headphone cable upgrade I am pretty much done I feel. I have spent the past three years upgrading to what I have go now and I am happy. I think I will just expand my music collection!

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 166
yo dbel... Respect your work man, but there are others who feel the same way. If you weren't so used to paying ahem... what you are willing to pay.. you'd agree too. Just saying you're already for some reason willing to pay it.

This is no supercar, it's a headphone. an x2 headphone. Mod T50 instead. Promise you'll be surprised.

Glad you enjoyed a laugh. :wink: Hope you enjoy spending 2 grand. *shrugs*

1. n3rdling
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1309205259.png
  4. offline
  1. 1,739 Posts. Joined 2/2008
  2. Location: Los Angeles

Thanks Marv for putting this together, was great fun. :)

Didn't listen to that much:

AD2000: A bit disappointing to me.  I'd never heard these before and was hoping the hype from a couple of members was warranted, but they were pretty average sounding to me.  Really grainy sounding which was annoying.

LFF's modded T50RPs:  Highlight of the meet for me personally.  Best ortho I've ever heard, only ortho that has a good amount of air and a nice soundstage.  This sounded more like an open headphone really...it totally caught me off gaurd.  Tonal balance was fantastic, very similar to the SR009 but wasn't as refined/fast/open.  

LCD3: I don't have much of a reaction to this headphone.  Sounded more balanced than the LCD2rev1 I had (haven't heard rev2).  Overall good but not a giant killer by any means in my mind.  I was thinking of buying one but am no longer interested.

There are many other reputables around here who have heard them who feel the same way.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #33 of 166
The Audeze and Hifiman orthos aren't far behind what is seen in this image, when will they start to get smaller instead of larger? Perhaps the LCD7 or 8 might actually be a bit smaller than the past models :p

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #34 of 166
I think you should really think about what amp you have and if its more reasonable to upgrade the amp and source vs getting the lcd3.  I would guess an lcd2 w/ a liquid fire or dark star will sound alot better than an lcd3 with a lyr...

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 166
Quote:
I think you should really think about what amp you have and if its more reasonable to upgrade the amp and source vs getting the lcd3.  I would guess an lcd2 w/ a liquid fire or dark star will sound alot better than an lcd3 with a lyr...

I'm with this statement. Why not buy first a Ray Samuels Dark Star  or a Cavalli Liquid Liquid Fire amplifier and pair it with your LCD 2. I assume you'll possess one of the best sound. Then later on, you can buy a used LCD-3.
biggrin.gif
I really mean buy a used LCD-3.
biggrin.gif

This is just my suggestion.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #37 of 166

Quote:
Don't forget a source of equivalent awesomeness into that combo or else its useless

<Parachutes emergency Rega DAC + Audiophilleo USB to Coax converter into thread> 
biggrin.gif

Plenty of others though make the grade, but that's one of my fav's with the LCD-2

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #38 of 166
LFF's modded T50RPs:  Highlight of the meet for me personally.  Best ortho I've ever heard, only ortho that has a good amount of air and a nice soundstage.  This sounded more like an open headphone really...it totally caught me off gaurd.  Tonal balance was fantastic, very similar to the SR009 but wasn't as refined/fast/open.  
       Is this the same as Smeggy Thunderpants?
       Is there any link for the modification
thanks,

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #40 of 166
what's this doing in LCD-2 thread... and how dare you say "the best ortho" among all the LCD fans here
   Sorry for the little off topic.  However I would be very appreciated if any one can help me, please PM
   I still think the LCD2 rev1 is a great orthodynamic and is thinking over and over whether should I acquire LCD3
or not.  I am scared when the LCD3 came out so fast after LCD2 rev2 and that 1945$ price tag makes me scare
much more.  So I think I have  found another way out when I saw Milos 's comment on the LFF Thunderpants.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #41 of 166
I've had my LCD-2 Revision 2 for some months now, and though I'm sure the LCD-3 would be a decent improvement over my current system I'm still holding onto my LCD-2 for the time being. I want give these headphones at least a year of listening before deciding what to do with them.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #42 of 166
I dont have source problems. I use them in a studio with pro gear. I could use a Phonitor but for now I work in mono at 24bit and 96k from an RME ADI-8 DS.

and yes Im serous as to the question. Did not know exactly how many poeple have tried them both out.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #43 of 166
@ hennyo  - I am a respected member of team cheap person , i think i may even hold the record for the cheapest price paid for a vintage yamaha ortho. :) .  ( no offense intended btw, the comment really did just get tickle the spot ) 

The LCD3 is without question an expensive luxury in this hobby and unfortunately the price it costs for a small start up company to create an innovative product from the ground up. What has impressed me from the beginning about Audez'e is that they did not cut corners when it came to design of the essential components. I will not go into details as I am sure I would be infringing on their copyright and trade secrets but take it from someone who knows orthodynamic drivers well ( including the T50RP ) , the LCD drivers have gone from strength to strength in their design. This is not just some mylar film diaphragm with 5mm etched traces in a simple geometric configuration. The wizardry which has gone into driver development resulted in inumerable "potentials" which were then surpassed by others until a final product was delivered. There are not many LCD1's in the wild but if you ever have the good fortune to hear one, it was a killer headphone at $400 ish. As for the T50RP , I like the driver ( a lot ) but it is ultimately limited by size. There are tricks to make these smaller drivers produce bass but ultimately they do not have the ability to extract the microdetail within the bass while maintaining that "organic" texture. Small drivers are exceptional "speed demons" and have great transient response with good extension into the upper frequencies that usually suffer as the driver gets bigger ( most large driver vintage orthos are rolled off  - there are tricks again to enhance this but ultimately there is a balance of compromise) The great challenge is developing a large driver which itself is light enough to be damped by the air and electromagnetic flux around it, stax have achieved this, and so do I believe that the LCD3 has achieved this. The debate will continue through whatever next iteration comes to light be it electrostatic, dynamic, planarmagnetic. Who knows piezo drivers such as the vintage pioneer or modern TakeT might become the technology focus. Ultimately it will come down to what is within financial reach, sound preferences and whimsy. There is no "one" headphone, the true gift is recognizing when you are truly at peace with the gear you own and overcome the gearlust driving purchases which are not needed at that particular juncture of your journey. I am as guilty as the next but am fortunate enough to have experienced this journey from early on and know that the goals of our ortho zenmaster, wualta, have been achieved. ie There are several brands of planarmagnetic headphones in current production to meet all but a few needs. The T50RP offers phenomenal performance at very affordable cost but requires some finessing to get it sounding optimal to the owners ears. This in itself comes at the cost of experience to know what it is you are looking for and how to make it happen. Simply copying another modification scheme does not imply happiness. HiFiMan offer a fine range of headphones that are tuned differently and use a different approach to making their drivers. Then there are the headphones that are causing all this stir and my simple answer to the OP is only if you are not content with what you experience.

..dB 

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #44 of 166
Is this the same as Smeggy Thunderpants?

No, Smeggy handcrafts wood cups for his Thunderpants. They look as beautiful as they sound.

Is there any link for the modification
thanks,

LFF has not released his modifications. I got a chance to listen to them at a meet recently. It sounded like the instruments were in the room. The guy knows his craft.

I'm very excited we have companies like Audeze pushing the limits of Ortho tech. I can only imagine what they have in store for the LCD-4 next year.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #45 of 166
I am listening to my LCD2 with Norse 4 wire (Balanced) to Violectric V181 amp and V800 DAC (balanced amp and DAC) and I am interested in hearing from anyone who has listened to the HE6 vs. the LCD3.

I A-B compared the HE6 to LCD2 when I had my Woo WA6SE and Audio-gd Ref5 (both single ended) and the HE6 sounded better to my ears in the upper mids and highs by a long stretch but alas my favorite freq band is in the lower mid-bass, lower-bass regions and the LCD2 deffinitely lead in that area. Keeping in mind the Violectric drives my LCD2's much more powerfully now, I wish I could hear the HE6 again with the V181.

Since I love the mids and highs (and imaging for that matter) of the HE6, it would mean a lot to me to hear from someone who has heard all three (LCD2, LCD3, and HE6).

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back