Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Nov 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 166

fabriciom

Head-Fier
Hello, not sure if this has been asked before. I use my LCD2 everyday in my home studio and I love them, they do have a problem with stereo image but that happens with all headphones. Any who, my question is: Is it worth upgrading to the LCD3? 

-Thanks

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 166

Quote:
Hello, not sure if this has been asked before. I use my LCD2 everyday in my home studio and I love them, they do have a problem with stereo image but that happens with all headphones. Any who, my question is: Is it worth upgrading to the LCD3? 

-Thanks

If you can sell your LCD2 and limit the cost of making the exchange, maybe.

But it's your ears. So can't really be sure at all how you could possibly trust such an expensive decision to a mass of people who have not heard the LCD1, 2 nor 3, let alone, any of them side by side.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 166
Well the questing is headed towards people in the forums who have used both.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 166
 From what I've HEARD, the LCD-3s are actually the best non-electrostats that most people have heard. It all depends, because when you get to the 1,000+ range, you're generally going for some diminishing returns. You'll probably find that with that 1,000 increase, you'll get 20%-25% better quality. It all depends on whether you're willing to spend that much more for that much more quality, if you want the best.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 166

Quote:
"... You'll probably find that with that $1,000 increase, you'll get 20%-25% better quality. It all depends on whether you're willing to spend that much more for that much more quality, if you want the best."

And... that, my friends, "is the rest of the story."

If you've got "money to burn," you'll likely be satisfied with the "value" - but, if not... not.

I've found, that "upgrading" to 007's and HE-500's was by no means a "big upgrade," if any at all.  For me, I'm pretty certain, I would not be sufficiently impressed with the LCD-3's to warrant their "price premium" - and... most would think I have "money to burn."  If I spend that kind of money on any pair of headphones... I want them to sound dramatically better, than those I have now - but, I've found that simply is not the case.  And... I'm unwilling to accept the "loss" on their resale (if I pay the list price). 

But... "to each his own." 

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 166
OP, you might be better off asking this question in the High-end Audio Forum. You're more likely to be read by people who've actually heard the 'phones.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 166
^^
Unless you make 100+ a year and don't mid feeding companies 2K for almost absolutely no reason - No, it is not worth the upgrade. For a college/uni student, firstoff, you're dreaming, secondly there's absolutely nothing that could warrant lcd-3 being 2k.

Stick with lcd-2 4 ever and forget about lcd-3.

Lcd-2 = good $500-575 phone, lcd3 = good 800$ phone. They've been vastly hyped and aren't worth more of your dollar than that.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 166

Quote:
^^
Unless you make 100+ a year and don't mid feeding companies 2K for almost absolutely no reason - No, it is not worth the upgrade. For a college/uni student, firstoff, you're dreaming, secondly there's absolutely nothing that could warrant lcd-3 being 2k.

Stick with lcd-2 4 ever and forget about lcd-3.

Lcd-2 = good $500-575 phone, lcd3 = good 800$ phone. They've been vastly hyped and aren't worth more of your dollar than that.

Diamonds are just carbon. Just like pencil lead. What you pay for something is completely relative. So a headphone can cost anything so long as someone is willing to pay for it. And frankly, there are people willing to pay that and more for the idea of it being better.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 166

Quote:
Diamonds are just carbon. Just like pencil lead. What you pay for something is completely relative. So a headphone can cost anything so long as someone is willing to pay for it. And frankly, there are people willing to pay that and more for the idea of it being better.

Very best,

Then you can go buy them. =)

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 166
Have you heard the LCD 3? If not, I think it'd be best to start with that. If you're in the States, it shouldn't be terribly difficult, wait until they're a little bit more popular and heck, make a post asking if anyone wants to have a meet... If you hear $1,000 worth of difference, get it. If not, don't.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 166
I dont live in the states. I live in Spain and I can probably count with my right hand how many people own the LCD2 here let alone the LCD3.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 166

Quote:
More like 1%, and that's rounded, if you want to actually be for real. Note, you can tell the difference, but the actual technical difference is not a lot. That's over-stated a lot around here.

Very best,

I guess most people are just looking for a difference, to justify the cost.
rolleyes.gif

While in all technicality on the sheet they might be 1% "better" (and I use that relatively). There is generally a level of perceived difference that people will find - be it placebo or not.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 166
I recommend listening to the LCD-3 yourself because the signature is more neutral than the LCD-2.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 166
Does it really matter what anyone else thinks?

You're going to get answers all over the map, from "Hell, yeah!!!  Worth every penny!!" to "Umm..not really sure the sound improvement was worth it."

I think the answer's going to depend on your personal finances.  If you're able to drop 2K with no worries, chances are you'll find the small, incremental improvement in sound well worth it.  However, if you've got to go on a all-Ramen diet for six months to get them, you'll probably feel differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back