Is Grado evolving too slowly?
May 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #211 of 261
Are Grado evolving fast enough ? Fast enough for who?
If it is managing to pay its bills and employees in this economical situation and have some left over then the answer is yes.
The SR60 blew my mind , i still remember playing baba orielly to a friend on them and he was a massive who fan, he was amazed, speechless even , it prompted him to upgrade his hifi.

May 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #212 of 261
Quote:
If it is managing to pay its bills and employees in this economical situation and have some left over then the answer is yes.
The SR60 blew my mind , i still remember playing baba orielly to a friend on them and he was a massive who fan, he was amazed, speechless even , it prompted him to upgrade his hifi.

A buddy of mine who has been really struggling with finances the last few years is really into Jazz, particularly John Coltrane. I asked him if he would be interested in trying a pair of headphones that he could just plug right into his CD player in order to better enjoy his music. He's not into audio gear at all, and he basically said that he didn't think it would impact his enjoyment much at all, and pretty much tried to discourage me from sending him anything. I made a deal where if he decided that they would just end up sitting around and collecting dust, that he'd pass them along to a friend or family mbr that he thought would enjoy them. He agreed, so I had Amazon send a pair of SR60s to his house. The same day they were delivered, he called me in disbelief, saying that he had no idea that headphones could do that. I've known him for over 25 years, and it was probably the most excited I've ever heard him about anything lol. Needless to say, they aren't collecting any dust at all and his love of Jazz has been taken to a whole new level. 

It really made me feel good to enlighten my friend a bit, cause we all know how incredible music can sound even with lower end phones from some of the amazing companies that we discuss on a daily basis here on this site. I'm especially fond of Grado, and now my buddy is, as well. 

May 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #213 of 261
Imagine what would have happened if you had sent him some porta-pros or some other proper sounding entry level sennheisers :wink:. Just pulling your leg, I actually don't follow this segment closely.

I guess there's a market for grado and for those who like it, why change anything as long as it works, regardless of the technology getting old. Grado is cattering to a specific clientele its house sound fits. They are also apparently happy to get by with the current sales figures, so it's easy to imagine they couldn't be bothered entering the rat race.

May 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #214 of 261
Quote:
Quote:

A buddy of mine who has been really struggling with finances the last few years is really into Jazz, particularly John Coltrane. I asked him if he would be interested in trying a pair of headphones that he could just plug right into his CD player in order to better enjoy his music. He's not into audio gear at all, and he basically said that he didn't think it would impact his enjoyment much at all, and pretty much tried to discourage me from sending him anything. I made a deal where if he decided that they would just end up sitting around and collecting dust, that he'd pass them along to a friend or family mbr that he thought would enjoy them. He agreed, so I had Amazon send a pair of SR60s to his house. The same day they were delivered, he called me in disbelief, saying that he had no idea that headphones could do that. I've known him for over 25 years, and it was probably the most excited I've ever heard him about anything lol. Needless to say, they aren't collecting any dust at all and his love of Jazz has been taken to a whole new level. 

It really made me feel good to enlighten my friend a bit, cause we all know how incredible music can sound even with lower end phones from some of the amazing companies that we discuss on a daily basis here on this site. I'm especially fond of Grado, and now my buddy is, as well. 

Good story!  You're a good guy.

May 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #215 of 261
Quote:
Imagine what would have happened if you had sent him some porta-pros or some other proper sounding entry level sennheisers
wink.gif
. Just pulling your leg, I actually don't follow this segment closely.

I guess there's a market for grado and for those who like it, why change anything as long as it works, regardless of the technology getting old. Grado is cattering to a specific clientele its house sound fits. They are also apparently happy to get by with the current sales figures, so it's easy to imagine they couldn't be bothered entering the rat race.

I had some entry level Sennheisers, the 518s, before any other headphone...I couldn't get rid of 'em fast enough 
size]

May 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #216 of 261
Quote:
Good story!  You're a good guy.

Thanks man, appreciate that :)

I just wish I could get into Jazz as much as he does! It's the one genre that I really wish I could acquire a taste and appreciation for, but just doesn't seem to connect with me. I love using a good jazz recording for demo purposes and to evaluate speakers/headphones, but that's pretty much where it stops. 

May 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #217 of 261
I would not expect a whole lot of change from Grado for the following reasons

appearance.  this is almost like a trade mark.  no one else makes any thing that looks this way.  You can spot Grado's from a mile away and recognize them instantly

house sound.  Grado has this pretty much to themselves as well.  To spend funds trying to go into a different house sound would be to try to enter a crowded market.  This is a good way for a small company to go under. 

My other hobby is cycling.  For those who know what I mean I compare Grado to Brooks saddles.  For a small business it is important to know what you do well and try to have something unique as a product or service.  

May 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #218 of 261
Quote:

What a generous, unselfish gesture, but somehow, coming from you, that doesn't surprise me that much,

I was called crazy, for paying a Vet bill for someone who's cat was sick, because i knew that she was having financial difficultys,

May 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #220 of 261
May 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #221 of 261
Trouble with the world today that there are too many self-centred people ready to rip-off their neighbour. Being generous or charitable has almost become a oxymoron in society.

Anyhow it looks like I'm going to go with the 225i's, what can I expect from these antiquated offerings? :wink:.

May 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #222 of 261
Quote:

What a generous, unselfish gesture, but somehow, coming from you, that doesn't surprise me that much,

I was called crazy, for paying a Vet bill for someone who's cat was sick, because i knew that she was having financial difficultys,

Thanks brother...and as a fellow animal lover myself, I think that's anything but crazy to pay the vet bill for your friend...my dogs are like family to me, and if someone stepped up to help my dog when I was on hard times, it would mean the world to me, as I'm sure it did to your friend!

May 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #223 of 261
Quote:
Trouble with the world today that there are too many self-centred people ready to rip-off their neighbour. Being generous or charitable has almost become a oxymoron in society.

Anyhow it looks like I'm going to go with the 225i's, what can I expect from these antiquated offerings? :wink:.

So true...people attempting to take advantage of others is a far more common tale than those who reach out a helping hand...sad commentary on society! I grew up in the 70s and 80s and I just remember it being more the opposite...sad :frowning2:

May 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #224 of 261
Quote:

Thanks brother...and as a fellow animal lover myself, I think that's anything but crazy to pay the vet bill for your friend...my dogs are like family to me, and if someone stepped up to help my dog when I was on hard times, it would mean the world to me, as I'm sure it did to your friend!

I know that we're off topic, so i'll find a way to slip in the word, music, in my post
wink.gif

I've been called crazy many times, for deciding to treat my 11 year old cat, after he was diagnosed with diabetes, two and a half years ago, but 1800 insulin shots later, he's still going strong, well!, as strong as a 13 1/2 year old can anyway.

The things i am most passionate about, in life, are,

1) Animals
2) Music
wink.gif

3) Cars
4) T.V.
5) Reading
6) Internet

I guess this explains why i decided not to have my cat put down. 

Quote:

Welcome to the Dark Side, i have heard the SR225i briefly, and i was a while back, but i remember being very impessed by them, they are regarded by many as, THE sweet spot in the Grado line, so i guess that, you have chosen wisely.
wink.gif

May 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #225 of 261
Quote:

I know that we're off topic, so i'll find a way to slip in the word, music, in my post
wink.gif

I've been called crazy many times, for deciding to treat my 11 year old cat, after he was diagnosed with diabetes, two and a half years ago, but 1800 insulin shots later, he's still going strong, well!, as strong as a 13 1/2 year old can anyway.

The things i am most passionate about, in life, are,

1) Animals
2) Music
wink.gif

3) Cars
4) T.V.
5) Reading
6) Internet

I guess this explains why i decided not to have my cat put down. 

I totally respect that, man...not everyone would have the patience or willingness to spend the extra time it takes to take care of pet with a disease process. For guys like you and me it would be a no-brainer, but too many people just give up on em. 

Do your cats leave your headphones alone for the most part? I can't remember if I showed you the pic from last year when my pup ate through one side of my T1 cable lol  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back