iPod Touch 7th Generation (2019)
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #64 of 118
And no problem downloading for offline play?
yes, can do everything except calling. Even taking picture, twitter, instagram. Smooth

Oct 26, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #65 of 118
I’ve had a 7th generation iPod touch (Space Gray 256GB) for a few weeks now. I’ve been very happy. It’s a very small form factor and drives the Sennhiser HD6XX well enough. I’ve used the Shortcuts app and ios 13 to create a widget and home screen icons to launch various playlist. I usually don’t even have to unlock it to get something playing.

I like the size and the battery has been better than the 6th generation. My FiiO Q5S delivers next week and I look forward to that combo.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #66 of 118
Hi. Does anyone know if there has been measurements of the ipods digital out jitter results? Im truly wondering if, for strictly tidal streaming, if upgrading it as my transport to say a SoTm or ultrarendu would prove to be a upgrade. I run ipod6th >cck>wireworld starlight usb>Young Mk3 dac>Heron 5

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #67 of 118
Maybe a dump question but ... I can't test this because I don't have a iPod touch 7 (iOS13).
I work a lot with AIFF 24/96000 files and they are loaded in iTunes. Will these files sync to the iPod touch and will they be played through the headphone jack? (I know this wouldn't be native, but in this case it's not important) Thanks for an answer.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #68 of 118
Maybe a dump question but ... I can't test this because I don't have a iPod touch 7 (iOS13).
I work a lot with AIFF 24/96000 files and they are loaded in iTunes. Will these files sync to the iPod touch and will they be played through the headphone jack? (I know this wouldn't be native, but in this case it's not important) Thanks for an answer.

I believe the maximum that will sync onto iPod Touch is 48kHz/24-bit as Apple Lossless and I believe they are downsampled to 16-bit on playback.

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #69 of 118
That’s how I understand it too...16bit/48kHz.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #70 of 118
That’s how I understand it too...16bit/48kHz.
I believe the maximum that will sync onto iPod Touch is 48kHz/24-bit as Apple Lossless and I believe they are downsampled to 16-bit on playback.
Thanks to both. But do you believe or did you proof this limitation on the 7th gen. iPod? Why I don't find this limitation in the specs and why articles exists speaking about new hi-res support like the following?
https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/a...th-generation-offers-more-storage-and-formats

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #71 of 118
No, I’m only going by older IPod Touch specifications. Somehow it’s hard stuff to find. It’s simply the DAC chip resolution capability. There is no difference between the dongle to the 6th generation internal DAC to my ears. Though that’s a good subjective test as I think the dongle specs are out there? You could simply play high resolution files on a Touch 7 and then do a back to back with the dongle and find out if you could hear a difference. Remember though this is from a member who believes he can hear high resolution files in contrast to 16/44.1.

I’m pretty sure the specs mean that if you had higher resolution files that did play on ITunes that they would play on the Touch. There are multiple programs that let higher bit rate files play on the Touch but it’s always been hindered by the internal chip resolution.

5954DED2-DDA1-4942-ACE6-3A7060947CC9.jpeg

That’s a statement that could very well be centered on playback? Also I thought HD files did actually sound better played back. So even if the chip is maxed out, the files may sound better. Support could also mean streaming to a capable external DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #72 of 118
The iPod Touch doesn't support FLAC natively in its "Music" app. It supports it through the "Files" app or something. Otherwise there have always been third-party apps which could be installed to play it.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #73 of 118
My main concern is: Will my AIFF 24/96000 be synced with iTunes to the iPod touch 7th? Synced because I also need my many playlists transferred to the iPod.
Truncated playback trough headphone jack would be OK for the beginning (I know about alternative hi-res playback option with external DAC).
If AIFF 24/96000 will not sync with iTunes, then perhaps ALAC 24/96000 will do it?

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #74 of 118
My main concern is: Will my AIFF 24/96000 be synced with iTunes to the iPod touch 7th? Synced because I also need my many playlists transferred to the iPod.
Truncated playback trough headphone jack would be OK for the beginning (I know about alternative hi-res playback option with external DAC).
If AIFF 24/96000 will not sync with iTunes, then perhaps ALAC 24/96000 will do it?

Never used those formats also I don’t own a Touch 7, maybe someone who does can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back