iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's
Apr 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #78 of 149

Quote:
.... Lol everyone here who wants that cable probably has iPhone 4 or 4s... I hope they fix it soon

Same here...  IDK if this is just those two phones or all iDevices in general.  I use an iPod Touch 4G, and want to know if it'd be problematic :p

May 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #79 of 149
I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) and JH13 IEMs.  I got tired of waiting for JH to put out their own iPhone compatible cable and decided to order the $55 Westone EPIC MICS replacement cable even though they warn that some users have experienced an "echo effect" in use.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/epic-replacement-cables/epic-mics-cable.html

I have had the cable for a couple weeks now and can report that, *in my experience* it is great!  The sound quality is as good as the JH OEM cable in my estimation and the call quality has been fine.  I don't make and receive a ton of calls, in the age of texting, but when I do, I have not experienced any echo or other issues.  

The music controls are very basic.  There's just one button to push:  once for pause or resume play, twice quickly to advance to the next song, thrice to jump back a song.  There are no volume controls on the cord, but it's easy enough to reach in my pocket and find the up and down volume buttons on the phone without looking.  

When on a call, the microphone does not transmit sound to the earphones, so I don't hear myself speaking through them or hear the surrounding noise.  I think this is a good thing but takes a little getting used to.  

The cable itself is a very flexible braided cord and the plugs fit the IEMs well.  

All in all, I'm very happy with the cable.  The only other feature I would love to have is the ability to turn the mic on so that I could hear someone talking to me face-to-face without removing the IEMs.  I hope the JH version has that capability.  

May 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #80 of 149
Quote:
I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) and JH13 IEMs.  I got tired of waiting for JH to put out their own iPhone compatible cable and decided to order the $55 Westone EPIC MICS replacement cable even though they warn that some users have experienced an "echo effect" in use.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/epic-replacement-cables/epic-mics-cable.html

I have had the cable for a couple weeks now and can report that, *in my experience* it is great!  The sound quality is as good as the JH OEM cable in my estimation and the call quality has been fine.  I don't make and receive a ton of calls, in the age of texting, but when I do, I have not experienced any echo or other issues.  

The music controls are very basic.  There's just one button to push:  once for pause or resume play, twice quickly to advance to the next song, thrice to jump back a song.  There are no volume controls on the cord, but it's easy enough to reach in my pocket and find the up and down volume buttons on the phone without looking.  

When on a call, the microphone does not transmit sound to the earphones, so I don't hear myself speaking through them or hear the surrounding noise.  I think this is a good thing but takes a little getting used to.  

The cable itself is a very flexible braided cord and the plugs fit the IEMs well.  

All in all, I'm very happy with the cable.  The only other feature I would love to have is the ability to turn the mic on so that I could hear someone talking to me face-to-face without removing the IEMs.  I hope the JH version has that capability.  

The "echo" effect is not on your side, it's on the receiver's side...  So you won't hear it, the person you're calling will. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #83 of 149
Quote:

Havent had any complaints yet.  Also called my voicemail and left myself a message and the quality sounded fine.  

That's good news.  It was found in Westone's testing.  Might also be for different models of the iPhone 4 and 4S (different radios = different forms of interference).  

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #84 of 149
Quote:
Anyone try:
http://www.jhaudio.com/product/mic-cable-smart-phones
-john

So I ordered a couple of sets of these cables and have now been using them for a while.  I think these are by far the best alternative for a mic cable for IEMs using this type of connection, but they are not perfect.

I'm using mine with a set of Shure 530s that were re-molded by UE when the OEM cable broke.

The good:

- high quality cable identical in look and feel to the high end Westone and (pre 2010) UE cables
- high quality molded IEM side plug (looks same as Westone) with memory wire (longer, like UE) same as high end Westone and UE cables
- so far no functional problems using this cable
- button has good feedback when engaged
- works with my iPhone 4 without issues

The less good:

- the mic portion is much bigger and clunkier than is optimal
- no up/down volume buttons
- straight plug (the right angled plugs on the Westone and UE cables are much nicer IMO)
- strain relief doesn't look very beefy

Compared:

vs. UE "vi" cable.  I had a pair of the "vi" cables that I trimmed down the plugs to fit.  The "vi" cable is too thick an inflexible.  Combined with an imperfect plug, lack of memory wire, this caused connection issues with the cable during normal use.  The button on the "vi" cable is a bit clunky, but not nearly as clunky as the JH cable.  Don't recommend.

vs. UE 500vi.  Prior to having a good cable option for these IEMs, I switched over to the UE 500vi for use with my iPhone.  The cable on the 500vi is a flat cable.  It isn't nearly as nice as the JH cable, but it is much better than the think round "vi" cable.  The switch on the other hand is nice and slim and it has volume up and down buttons.  The main operation of the buttons always worked well for me, although sometimes the "double click" to change songs didn't work for some reason (and sometimes it did).  Over all, I think these are decent and clearly better than trying to use the "vi" cable, but not as good as using the JH cable with your custom IEMs.

-john

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #85 of 149
Quote:

So I ordered a couple of sets of these cables and have now been using them for a while.  I think these are by far the best alternative for a mic cable for IEMs using this type of connection, but they are not perfect.

I'm using mine with a set of Shure 530s that were re-molded by UE when the OEM cable broke.

The good:

- high quality cable identical in look and feel to the high end Westone and (pre 2010) UE cables
- high quality molded IEM side plug (looks same as Westone) with memory wire (longer, like UE) same as high end Westone and UE cables
- so far no functional problems using this cable
- button has good feedback when engaged
- works with my iPhone 4 without issues

The less good:

- the mic portion is much bigger and clunkier than is optimal
- no up/down volume buttons
- straight plug (the right angled plugs on the Westone and UE cables are much nicer IMO)
- strain relief doesn't look very beefy

Compared:

vs. UE "vi" cable.  I had a pair of the "vi" cables that I trimmed down the plugs to fit.  The "vi" cable is too thick an inflexible.  Combined with an imperfect plug, lack of memory wire, this caused connection issues with the cable during normal use.  The button on the "vi" cable is a bit clunky, but not nearly as clunky as the JH cable.  Don't recommend.

vs. UE 500vi.  Prior to having a good cable option for these IEMs, I switched over to the UE 500vi for use with my iPhone.  The cable on the 500vi is a flat cable.  It isn't nearly as nice as the JH cable, but it is much better than the think round "vi" cable.  The switch on the other hand is nice and slim and it has volume up and down buttons.  The main operation of the buttons always worked well for me, although sometimes the "double click" to change songs didn't work for some reason (and sometimes it did).  Over all, I think these are decent and clearly better than trying to use the "vi" cable, but not as good as using the JH cable with your custom IEMs.

-john

I'm ordering a pair of JH16 pros this week, and already have 10vi.  Do you know if the 10vi cable will work with the JH16? I was to understand the cable pins were too small.

Also you said the 500vi cable was better... does that work with the JH16? (I'd assume I'd have the same issues as the 10vi cable)

The JH iPhone cable's mic looks ridiculously big....

Thanks for your input.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #86 of 149
You can trim the shroud on the 10vi cable to fit, but don't bother. It does't fit tight enough to overcome the stiff cable and it is likely you'll have connection issues.

The 500vi cable is not removable and just included as a comparison.

The JH mic cable is the only viable choice at this time IMO.

-john

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #87 of 149
That's a shame, as it looks extremely bulky.

I asked JH for pictures, and they told me it's against company policy to send them... I wont really comment on that because you are probably thinking the same.

Do you have pictures of your JH mic cable?  I would love to see more before I drop 60 bucks on it. I may order pins off ebay, cut and solder new pins on my 10vi cable.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #88 of 149
Quote:
You can trim the shroud on the 10vi cable to fit, but don't bother. It does't fit tight enough to overcome the stiff cable and it is likely you'll have connection issues.
The 500vi cable is not removable and just included as a comparison.
The JH mic cable is the only viable choice at this time IMO.
-john

Are the Westone and JHA cables still the only options for CIEM cables with phone mic/control?  And the Westone has been sold out (on Westone site) for some time anyway.

And yes its too bad they both only have the one button rather than discreet buttons also for volume up/down (or other customized use).

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #89 of 149
I turned a UE VI cable into a JH cable, guide/instructions here.

VERY easy.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638529/created-jh-audio-vi-cable-from-ue-cable-easy-cheap

I ended up using one dot of super glue to hold the cable in place, it did pull off slightly easier than the original, but if you take your time to use one tiny pin dot of glue, u can't see it, and it holds it in place tight.  A little wiggling and you could break it free to replace the cable.

As I'll only use the VI cable, Its not a problem for me until i wear it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back