iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's
Jun 19, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #46 of 149
Talked to Adam of JH Audio today. Asked him whether they're working on anything of the sort and he said "I'll definitely have to talk to Jerry about this". From the way he said it, it sounds like he got quite a few requests...

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #47 of 149

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up!  I've seen their cables mentioned before, but never noticed that option to add a mic.  In addition to the one you linked to, he has some other cables also for sale at different price points.  I found it interesting that he offers a significantly cheaper mic upgrade for his higher tier cables (pricewise).  These seem to be designed for the stock TF10 plug though, but I'll inquire if they can make it compatible for customs. 

crystal
34.90 + 49.90 mic = $84.80

pearl
46.90 + 49.90 mic = $96.80

diablo
69.90 + 19.90 mic = $89.80

silver
119.90 + 19.90 mic = $139.80

Prices are steeper than I had hoped, but there doesn't seem to be any other alternatives.  If they can make it compatible for customs I may still bite though, and so far leaning towards the "Diablo" cable, unless "Silver" is worth the upgrade. We'll see.

crystal
34.90 + 49.90 = 84.80

pearl
46.90 + 49.90 = 96.80

diablo
69.90 + 19.90 = 89.80

silver
119.90 + 19.90 = 139.80

Actually e-mailed the seller regarding the pricing of the mics last night, seems like the $49.90 for the mic is a typo, they said that it should be $19.90 for the mic addition across the board. Going to see if they have any pictures of the mic on the cable, might spring for the Pearl version with the mic.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #48 of 149
that's a pleasant typo to hear. apparently another typo is that they don't even offer +mic service for the Diabolo & Silver cables anyways either "due to the thickness of the cable".  they didn't say anything about making cables compatible w/custom IEMs, so I'll try asking again and see what they have to say.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #50 of 149
Has anyone ordered these with the Microphone? Am interested in upgrading the cable on my TF 10Vi before my HM 602 arrives. Can only find them on eBay, but can not find a web site for them. Am interested in reliability, sound/build quality and time from order to ship date.

Also, are there any alternative cable makers who do upgrade cables with a microphone?

Thanks, Michael

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #51 of 149
I'm not sure why they still list it on their ads, but they've had technical issues adding mics to their cables and haven't had the service actually available during past 3 times I've been in contact with them.  If you have any luck contacting them about getting this done, let me know so I can place my order and review how they are
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not aware of any other companies that make alternative custom cables with a microphone.  I've emailed other cable makers on ebay and random ones I've found online about making such a cable, but no one else offers the service... often claiming that it will affect SQ.  

Quote:
Has anyone ordered these with the Microphone? Am interested in upgrading the cable on my TF 10Vi before my HM 602 arrives. Can only find them on eBay, but can not find a web site for them. Am interested in reliability, sound/build quality and time from order to ship date.

Also, are there any alternative cable makers who do upgrade cables with a microphone?

Thanks, Michael

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #52 of 149
From my work with cables with mics, it should not affect the sound at all, as the mic/remote is on a totally seperate wire from the actual IEM signal wires.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #53 of 149
Sent a PM via eBay to the seller... if he/she responds credibly and promptly, I'm placing an order... my UE TF 10vi stock cable is a mess. the Mic/button works when I don't want it to and doesn't work when I want it to... One of the memory wires broke and ripped the outer shell of the cable... 

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #55 of 149
So, any update in the status here. I too would be super interested in finding a high-quality cable for jh audio or other customs that has an in-Line mic and music controls. I think it would be a killer niche product for those of us with high end custom iems who find themselves using them with iPhones or other smart phones on occasion. I'd really like to see one of these available.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #56 of 149
I ordered the cable at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270661940932 and it works fine with my JH16pro IEMs. I did have to shave a little bit of plastic from the end of the cable (approx 1-2mm) to make it fit properly, but it was not difficult with an exact-o knife.
Enjoy!

BTW, the remote/mic unit is from a Skullcandy setup (as it says "Skullcandy" on the white remote/mic unit).

EDIT: to add Skullcandy remote/mic info

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #58 of 149
I can't comment on the bulkiness, but the page says they have three connector types.  Pailiccs straight, Neutrik straight, and Neutrik right angle. So you can get a right angled connector.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #59 of 149

Well, I finally sat down to replace the ends on my UE "vi" cable to use with my Unique Melody remolded Shure 530s with custom sockets, and... well, hang on a second.

The "vi" cables have a slightly different cable than the standard "custom" cable.  They have a little plastic "shroud" around the pins.

..grabs for the nippers..

Well, I tried just trimming off the shroud, and works fine for me.  Perhaps the real UE custom earphones have a recess where they plug in or something, but even in that case you should be able to file/sand the plugs down.

Basically it seems the UE "vi" cable should work with just a slight modification, no soldering required.

Of course, these aren't as nice as the Westone ES cables they replace, but they do have a microphone, a pause button, and work fine with my iPod touch.

YMMV.

-john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back