iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's
Jun 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #34 of 149
From my broken TripleFi 10vi cable, I know the wire setup seems a little different - there is an additional red wire coiled around the copper. Connector is different too TRRS.

Maybe you/someone could use a standard iPhone headset and attach the pins from the earlier post, and attach Phonak PFE or Sennheiser ear hooks.

I have no intention of ever using an iPhone so this doesn't appeal to me (the remote is what I would find really useful).

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #35 of 149

Quote:
From my broken TripleFi 10vi cable, I know the wire setup seems a little different - there is an additional red wire coiled around the copper. Connector is different too TRRS.

Maybe you/someone could use a standard iPhone headset and attach the pins from the earlier post, and attach Phonak PFE or Sennheiser ear hooks.

I have no intention of ever using an iPhone so this doesn't appeal to me (the remote is what I would find really useful).

Care to post some pic of the vi cable. I'm planning to cannibalize my vi cables just as soon as the replacement i ordered arrives. Can you also clarify what the copper is you are referring to that the red wire coils around. From the pin-out of the 4pole plug of the vi cable, my iphone headset, as well as from pinout diagrams from the net,  im guessing that aside from the usual left/right/ground, the fourth pole is the mic, and pressing the mic button shorts the mic to ground as the ground is common. Thus i theorize that making a custom cable with inline mic needs the usual left/right/ground plus an additional wire for the mic and terminate the mic to common ground with the switch in a constant open, press to close.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #36 of 149
I have a webcam and a BlackBerry camera at the moment - both awful.

By copper I mean the earth/ground. So there are 3 wires - red, blue and copper, BUT the copper has a single red going around it, all the way up it seems.

I had trouble rewiring it (I didn't need to, but the circumstances - I had an interconnect with a removable plug that was too long, and a soldering iron).

I just wanted to fix it, as a backup, but I don't even have a desk vice or soldering iron stand. I balanced the iron on a hammer and he plug in a pear! It was also TRS not TRRS (3 pole instead of 4)

I think you're right, above. If you fix/figure it out, please let me know, just for knowledge's sake (my TF10 is unused as I only have a Westone ES cable that I don't want to ruin and I will be reshelling very soon).

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #37 of 149

Quote:
I have a webcam and a BlackBerry camera at the moment - both awful.

By copper I mean the earth/ground. So there are 3 wires - red, blue and copper, BUT the copper has a single red going around it, all the way up it seems.

I had trouble rewiring it (I didn't need to, but the circumstances - I had an interconnect with a removable plug that was too long, and a soldering iron).

I just wanted to fix it, as a backup, but I don't even have a desk vice or soldering iron stand. I balanced the iron on a hammer and he plug in a pear! It was also TRS not TRRS (3 pole instead of 4)

I think you're right, above. If you fix/figure it out, please let me know, just for knowledge's sake (my TF10 is unused as I only have a Westone ES cable that I don't want to ruin and I will be reshelling very soon).

Im wondering about the vi cable not being trrs as the plug has 4 poles. Also, it being iphone capable, it must conform to the pinout of the iphone jack which is trrs-left/right/ground/mic respectively, with the ground being common among the mic and signal. Where does the red wire terminate in your cable? 

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #38 of 149
Terminate? It goes all the way through (wrapped around copper), but I don't know what the inside of the plug looks like - it's moulded (can't be re-sued/fixed), very small and I've now lost it.

It goes all the way through, I've attached a sketch made in paint in about 30 seconds (I'm at work). Sorry I can't be of more help - I don't have the plug any more (and never managed or really tried to open it.

For someone looking for a custom cable with mic/remote , I would still recommend an ordinary iPhone headset with the connector pins from the earlier post - it should be easier even than fitting a new jack.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #39 of 149

I've got a set on order and can take some pics.  But I'm probably not ready to cut it up quite yet and I probably won't until I get my re-shell back from UM... probably a month or so.

That said, I'll probably try to replace the plugs when I have something to try them on.

-john

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #40 of 149

Quote:
Terminate? It goes all the way through (wrapped around copper), but I don't know what the inside of the plug looks like - it's moulded (can't be re-sued/fixed), very small and I've now lost it.

It goes all the way through, I've attached a sketch made in paint in about 30 seconds (I'm at work). Sorry I can't be of more help - I don't have the plug any more (and never managed or really tried to open it.

For someone looking for a custom cable with mic/remote , I would still recommend an ordinary iPhone headset with the connector pins from the earlier post - it should be easier even than fitting a new jack.

i think thats the mic signal cable and i think it terminates at the sleeve if you cut up the connector. So the plug is trrs, left/right/ground/mic

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #43 of 149

Quote:
I found this on ebay
says they can customize cables with mic
maybe worth a try
http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270593798409&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:pH:1123#ht_1273wt_915

Thanks for the heads up!  I've seen their cables mentioned before, but never noticed that option to add a mic.  In addition to the one you linked to, he has some other cables also for sale at different price points.  I found it interesting that he offers a significantly cheaper mic upgrade for his higher tier cables (pricewise).  These seem to be designed for the stock TF10 plug though, but I'll inquire if they can make it compatible for customs. 

crystal
34.90 + 49.90 mic = $84.80

pearl
46.90 + 49.90 mic = $96.80

diablo
69.90 + 19.90 mic = $89.80

silver
119.90 + 19.90 mic = $139.80

Prices are steeper than I had hoped, but there doesn't seem to be any other alternatives.  If they can make it compatible for customs I may still bite though, and so far leaning towards the "Diablo" cable, unless "Silver" is worth the upgrade. We'll see.

crystal
34.90 + 49.90 = 84.80

pearl
46.90 + 49.90 = 96.80

diablo
69.90 + 19.90 = 89.80

silver
119.90 + 19.90 = 139.80

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #44 of 149
Dunno about you guys, but I have the distinct feeling these guys are really taking advantage of the fact head-fiers are willing to spend amounts of money for a cable that a sane person wouldn't spend for a headphone. In the eBay auctions they spend so many more words talking about colors and braidings than about materials and technical stuff. I don't think they're worth even close to that money. Just my very personal opinion.

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #45 of 149
I agree. I wasn't too swayed by the description and was gonna grab their cheapest crystal cables, until I noticed the difference in mic upgrade prices, making the diablo cables not as unreasonable.  I'm still awaiting a response from them if they can make it compatible w/custom IEMs, and for any price discounts perhaps.

I'm already quite happy with the cheaper Westone ES cables that I use with my TF10 remolds, but it really sucks that it lacks a mic/remote unlike my original 10vi cable since I use it primarily with my iphone.   It's a shame really that none of the big companies make iphone-compatible custom cables w/mics, because it allows ebay sellers such as these to charge such a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back