iPhone 4 Case that Supports Oversized Headphone Plug
Aug 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 35
I bought this case from Body Glove as a solution. So far, so good. It has an open top so that the whole oversized headphone -plug is a non issue.

http://www.bodyglovemobile.com/product/fringe-snap-on-for-apple-iphone-4,195,19.htm

It's not my favorite case of all time but it offers ample protection and fits very well.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #19 of 35
I'm using an Incase "Slider" which has an oversized hole to allow for oversized headphone jacks.  I am a big fan of Incase and think they make high quality products.

http://www.goincase.com

Good luck.

Mr. Yabai

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 35
Thanks for the suggestion. Although the hole may be big I'm not sure that an L shaped headphone plug would have enough room to be seated all the way in. For plugs that are just vertical in design I'm sure the hole would be plenty big enough. But when you have an L-shaped plug you need additional room to the sides of the hole. This is where the problem lies.

If you could perhaps provide a picture of your setup it would help a great deal.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 35
Pictured below is the Incase Slider with my iPhone 4.  It provides ample room for my "L" shaped plug.  Hopefully this gives you an idea of the space surrounding the hole.  I think they've intentionally left plenty of room for oversized plugs.  Nonetheless, I'm sure there is an adapter that is oversized and would not seat properly.  I hope this helps 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 35
Thanks, Mr. Yabai. Those pictures do help. I still think the plug on my Westone UM3x's is too fat and short to fit. I could be wrong, though. I'd have to really try it out in person. Your headphone plug is longer and a little angled, which gives it more space from the actual hole. My plug sits flush with the hole and it's surrounding perimeter. 

I know that Best Buy usually carries InCase products and so does the Apple Store. I'll drop by one of these places and give it a shot. Thanks for all the effort, though. It's much appreciated.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 35
Yup. The Incase looks good, but the UM3X is unlikely to fit. I cut up my Speck Geometric so that the UM3X now fits, and basically the entire material between the two sides must be totally gone for it to fit. It doesn't look that good, but I think it protects better than those with a bare top- so I'm happy. :)

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 35
FYI- very happy with this case so far (so far is just a few days):

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/reveal-iphone4

This also accommodates my oversized headphone plug.

So far so good.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 35
I've got the Speck Fitted case, which has a pretty large headphone jack opening - I can't imagine anything giving me any problems. It was one of the few iPhone 4 case I could find that really had decent protection for front and back a (ie when I lay it down on a table the screen doesn't touch the surface.) It's also pretty nice in the hand and looks neat.

Here's a pic (not mine):

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #29 of 35
Rocking an Incase Snap right now from the free iPhone case program, and it will definitely fit oversized plugs. It is a minimalist case though, so it's only really good for preventing minor falls and scratching.

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 35
Resurrecting an old thread, but as a fellow UM3X user (actually I just got mine today, really enjoying them - and the reason why I'm looking at this thread now), I can say that none of the cases that people have posted pictures of would work.

Here's what the UM3X connector looks like.  Basically you're going to need a case that leaves the entire top of the phone exposed.

One such case that I find interesting but haven't seen in the flesh but I find intriguing and have ordered a few of, is the Default Case, which they also are somehow selling for $4 shipped (some kind of crazy promotion).

Obviously anything Tony has mentioned should work too.  (PS Tony: how many iPhone cases do you have??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back