iPhone 4 Case that Supports Oversized Headphone Plug
Aug 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

tonyfiore75

100+ Head-Fier
I'll admit that I haven't done the most thorough job searching through the forums in regards to this topic but I HAVE done an extremely thorough job Googling this topic- without much success I might add.

Being the audiophile that I think I am, all of my headphones have oversized, non-iBud, headphone plugs. I have UE 10s and Westone UM3x IEMs. I also have an iPhone 4 on the way. I am looking for a case that will accommodate these phones. I've tried several cases with my iPhone 3G and Otterbox is one company that definitely leaves you enough room to plug in oversized, L-shaped headphone jacks. Most cases don't. They simply don't fit.

My actual question is- do you have or can you recommend any good iPhone cases, specifically for the iPhone 4, that will allow me to plug in without any difficulties. I think the Otterbox Defender will do the trick but are there any others?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-TonyF

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 35
You could buy the case you want and just make the opening for the headphone bigger with a drill (if plastic) or exacto knife (if rubber).  Another solution is to get something like this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/griffin-headphone-adapter-for/4505-6448_7-32493897.html?tag=contentMain;compare

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 35
I'd also like to know of an iPhone 4 case with a very large headphone port, or a case which leaves the entire top of the phone bare..  Just received my custom cable to pair with my UE TF10's and realized the Viablue connector does not fully plug in with Apple's Bumper on. 

Also, will that adapter mentioned in the above post decrease the sound quality to my IEM's at all?

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 35
Like I said in my original post- the Otterbox cases definitely fit larger headphone plugs. I previously owned the TF10s and they fit with my Otterbox cases. I'm currently using the Commuter case and it suits my Westone UM3xers and UE 10 Pros quite well. No problem whatsoever. I was looking to see if there were any other cases out there that also had a larger cutout hole.

The adapter is an option. I've definitely considered it but I'd rather not have to go that route if I don't have to.

and as far as cutting bigger holes... I'm just worried that once I cut the thing will slowly fall apart.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 35
I switched from the bumper case to the invisible shield just so I could use my JH16 Pro.  It's not bad and I only use it on the sides and the back.  However, I've finally discovered the antennae issue.  It doesn't seem to do much to fix that problem.  With the bumper case, everything was fine.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
I switched from the bumper case to the invisible shield just so I could use my JH16 Pro.  It's not bad and I only use it on the sides and the back.  However, I've finally discovered the antennae issue.  It doesn't seem to do much to fix that problem.  With the bumper case, everything was fine.

It depends how you install your IS. The one strip that goes on that side can be moved down more so it crosses over the black "bridge" and then continue the strip with the bottom piece that goes at the bottom to protect the corner. That will fix the antenna issue since it keeps you from connecting those two pieces of metal with your finger. I think the IS is the best way to go for over sized plugs.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 35
I'm not putting any screens on top of this beautiful retina display.

Anyone else have tips of a case that has good side protection and edges that will not let the screen contact the table if you put it down flat accidentally?

Currently I take out my Speck Geometric and put the iP4 in a pouch to bring to the gym. Seriously, this is not ideal. I mean I'm not even asking to use Viablue with the iP4 + case - just my UM3x.. that plug is so much lower profile!

edit: I'm thinking of this case. A bit pricy, but looks good. Just wondering if I'll need some sort of invisible shield for the sides (my phones tend to take some serious beating on the sides..

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/vaja-rolls-out-ivolution-grip-case-for-iphone-4/

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 35
Vaja makes some quality cases but they're expensive and the leather makes them a bit "puffy". I like my cases to be as thin as possible with optimal protection. I think these hard/silicone hybrids are always the best option for me.

Still, the Vaja cases do seem pretty cool.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 35
My free case came yesterday from Apple, it's a Griffin Reveal Etch. It's pretty low-profile, looks great, and has a much larger hole for the headphone jack than the last case I had (Frogz or something like that?). Anyway it fits my EarSonic SM3 fine. From what I can tell this is definitely the best of the ones they're giving away. 

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back