iPad mini + camera connection kit + Dac = : )
Apr 11, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #76 of 144
Nice solution! Will that work with FiiO E17 as well?
The E17 is said to draw about 150 mA even with USB charging off. I don't know about DragonFly 1.2 power consumption to compare...
Anybody?

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #77 of 144
It sometimes doesn't matter how much it actually draws, it's a software issue from what I've gathered. So even if it draws less than the idevice cutoff limit, it still could read as a higher mA and not work :frowning2:. Seems to be a trial and error thing...

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #79 of 144
Hi there

I would say .... Attaché anche ipad using camera connection kit it's not the most confortable solution I have found. Anyhow I solved a number of issue (the important the DAC you would like to use is driverless) using a passive USB hub , the information about power consumption is tricked, so IPAD will works with a wider range of DAC.

Anyhow I have ever been unsatisfied because of gum sound of iPad, the Alac compression is on my opinion far to be lossless and I'm migrating towards raspberries pi and volumio. It is costing the same amount then a camera connection kit and it works ..... Incredibly better

Regards

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #80 of 144
ALAC sounds identical to FLAC. So, I didn't understand the statement above...

Also, I prefer the iPhone with CCK > Pico DAC/Pico Slim than using a separate music player because of (1) the ease of syncing with my Mac's iTunes music library and (2) the ease of operation with the iPhone's interface.  My HiFiMan HM-901 dedicated music player may definitely sound better, but it's harder to load music and the interface is not as intuitive and easy to use.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #81 of 144
I can individuate in a blind test what are MP3, Flac, and Alac, with a precision 9 on 10! and I never said to like Flacs so much!

What I found not bad is APE compressor

Anyhow I'm starting to consider the idea that there are song which are mastered to be compressed and other not … so difference is more linked to song that to the technology we use to play them

Anyhow I found pace with my portable rig with Sennhaiser Momentum, no amplifier no DACs, I cannot say the same with house solution ….

Good listening results with all looks like a wheel (anything i s rotating) , frustrating experience with any form of liquid sound No iPad , No Apple TV, No airport express,Ni Macintosh or PCs regardless how can be expensive the DAC worked well … some improvment with volumio .. but far to be so accurate as I had like it will … but they are really close to a good result...

My home HIFI is made by an MC 6900 a pair of Minotor audio PL 200 and an aura CD. I change DAC very frequently now  s an Emotiva, past week I tested a Wadia 121.

I tested ARACM RDAC, W4S, Antelope, Ibasso, TEAC, Stello Emotiva and others ...

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #82 of 144
  ALAC sounds identical to FLAC. So, I didn't understand the statement above...

Also, I prefer the iPhone with CCK > Pico DAC/Pico Slim than using a separate music player because of (1) the ease of syncing with my Mac's iTunes music library and (2) the ease of operation with the iPhone's interface.  My HiFiMan HM-901 dedicated music player may definitely sound better, but it's harder to load music and the interface is not as intuitive and easy to use.

This.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #85 of 144
New theory....by accident, I used a USB extension cable (20') that i had used for a printer in the days before wifi.  

iPhone 5S and iPad mini retina both work on Wadia 151 this way.   With only a regular length USB, I get the "not enough power" message.  Leads me to believe that this is not power per se.

Gonna try the same test with Cambridge MagicDac Plus.  

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #86 of 144
I tried a short extension cable with the dragon fly. Still received the power error. Even with a hub I occasionally still get the error. It's not an exact thing at all unfortunately. I pretty much just use the stock headphone out now because of all the trouble :frowning2:

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #87 of 144
I tried a short extension cable with the dragon fly. Still received the power error. Even with a hub I occasionally still get the error. It's not an exact thing at all unfortunately. I pretty much just use the stock headphone out now because of all the trouble :frowning2:

Try this ! 2 USD on the bay ...it would solve

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #88 of 144
That looks nice. What i would really like is a lightning to usb female that worked with all dacs. I might just have to gut a tiny usb hub, and mod the camera connection cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back