iPad mini + camera connection kit + Dac = : )
Mar 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #46 of 144
I see. In that case you need the camera connection kit (30 pins) for the original iPad to connect to USB DACs

iPad Mini -> Lightning-to-USB -> 30pin CCK -> DAC

Quote:
nooo i bought lightning to 30 pin adaptator for old FiiO :S
is good?

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #47 of 144
False. The iPad mini has a lightning connector, therefore you will only need the Lightning to USB, and an unpowered USB hub if your DAC draws too much current (for some strange reason, this allows it to work).

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #48 of 144
I am not sure if this is a reply to my previous post. I did suggest a Lightning to USB adapter couple posts back, but then he said he had already bought a lightning to 30-pin adapter, and hence my suggestion of the original CCK.
Quote:
False. The iPad mini has a lightning connector, therefore you will only need the Lightning to USB, and an unpowered USB hub if your DAC draws too much current (for some strange reason, this allows it to work).

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #49 of 144
Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying. I thought that chain seemed very redundant, but that makes sense.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #50 of 144
[size=10pt]I have an iPad 4 which has the same lightning plug as the mini. [/size]
[size=10pt]When trying to go iPad 4 > lightning cck > USB cable > Schiit Bifrost it freezes up my iPad and requires a hard boot. [/size]
[size=10pt]I have been told by Schiit that iPad 3 > 30-pin cck > USB cable > Schiit Bifrost works. [/size]
[size=10pt]If i went ipad 4 > lightning to 30-pin adapter > 30-pin cck > USB cable > Schiit Bifrost would it make a difference?  Schiit has not tested it befor.[/size]
[size=10pt]This is very frustrating as i pieced my bedside setup without obviously knowing that there was a compatibility issue.[/size]
[size=10pt]Hoping someone out there has tried it.[/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks[/size]

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #51 of 144
Fraid I can't comment on the 30 pin adapter, but have you tried inserting a powered usb hub in the chain?

My odac, blue circle usb transport, and topping tp30 all work fine with all three of the usb 2 hubs I've tried (the dlink referenced above and the hubs in two different dell monitors).

My note 2 works with (or without) usb 3 hubs as well, but my ipad4 doesn't seem to. Humorously, the dlink hub actually triggers a "this device is not supported" popup when connected to my odac, but the sound outputs perfectly through the odac regardless. Apple and their silly proprietary ********... /sigh

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #54 of 144
Get an unpowered USB hub. For some strange reason, putting that between the CCK and the DAC makes it work.

May 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #56 of 144
So has anyone tried the iPad Mini (or 4th gen iPad) -> Lightning-to-USB -> unpowered USB hub -> DAC ??
I have an iPad 4th gen and if this works, I can get the NuForce UDAC2 and use it for my iPad, phone and laptop instead of buying two DAC&amps for iPad and phone+laptop which is a heckuva lotta money for me

May 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #57 of 144
"Same thing using an iPad 3, plus the Lightning-to-30 adapter, into the CCK 30-to-USB, to USB iMic. Same short wait, and as mentioned, this is a lot of adapters...but sound does come and it does have Bongiovi enhancement. "
found this on http://www.dpsinsider.com/forums/topic/usb-to-dac
dont know the reliability but its hope in the least xP
although he did get it wrong when he said "iPad 3, plus lightning" smh

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #58 of 144
Quote:
So has anyone tried the iPad Mini (or 4th gen iPad) -> Lightning-to-USB -> unpowered USB hub -> DAC ??
I have an iPad 4th gen and if this works, I can get the NuForce UDAC2 and use it for my iPad, phone and laptop instead of buying two DAC&amps for iPad and phone+laptop which is a heckuva lotta money for me

Don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but yes, just tried it and it works.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #60 of 144
Quote:
Thank you!!

No worries. BTW, I just picked up this hub:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/accessories-and-bags/power-cables/usb-cables/iluv-icb709-4-port-usb-2-0-hub-18985845-pdt.html

The blurb reads:

[size=medium]
Increase the functionality of your PC or Mac with this iF Product Design award-winning 4-port USB hub. Connect additional USB devices such as keyboards, mice, flash drives, etc. The aluminum finish matches the premium look and feel of your MacBook.[/size]
[size=medium]
  1. Portable 4-port USB 2.0 hub
  2. Convenient plug-and-play installation
  3. Shielded cable reduces electrical noise for optimal signal transfer
  4. Compatible with both PC and Mac computers
  5. Aluminum finish matches the look and feel of your MacBook
  6. Cable Length: 3.9 in. (10 cm)
[/size] [size=medium]
Compatibility[/size]
[size=medium]
Mac OS X v10.5 and later, PCs with Windows 7, Vista and XP[/size]
[size=medium]
 [/size]
[size=medium]
Not sure how much help the shielded cable will be but it sounds good, at least. What is nice is at least the aluminium finish matches the iPad so it's not as butt ugly as it could be. :) The price was decent, too, though obviously that's a UK supplier but it worked out at about $15. It should arrive tomorrow and will hopefully replace the old scratched hub I'm using in the meantime.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back