iPad mini + camera connection kit + Dac = : )
Jun 24, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #137 of 144
Hey all!

I've got a few Portable Amp/DACs coming in for testing/review and would like to use them with my iPhone 5s. Is it as simple as iPhone 5s -> Lightning USB CCK -> micro USB -> Portable Amp/DAC?

If not, what do I need to do?

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Nikolaus

Yes provided your Amp/DACs aren't drawing too much current. Otherwise you might need a powered USB hub in the chain.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #139 of 144
I've read through the thread so sorry if I missed the answer somewhere.

Re the issue with power draw, wouldn't using a powered dac/amp circumvent the power draw powered USB hub issue?
Specifically I'm thinking about using my fiio x5 as a dac and amp, essentially as a means to use spotify. With the x5 in dac mode would it still be drawing power through the USB or resorting to its inbuilt battery?

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #141 of 144
I know this thread is pretty old, but I just stumbled on it after having received my Schiit Fulla today and received the dreaded "connected device requires too much power" on my iPad Pro. I was looking to see if there were any solutions or good suggestions for a hub. That Cute USB Mini that bliss53 posted looks nice and compact and I may have to give that a try.

I wanted to also share my experience with a different option in case it helps someone. I knew I needed to get a Lightning to USB Camera adapter, so I picked one up locally and it happened to be this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241761-REG/apple_mk0w2am_a_lightning_to_usb_3_0.html

This camera adapter has an extra Lightning port on it so you can plug it into an outlet while simultaneously connecting your USB (DAC) device. I tested it out and it worked perfect with my Fulla...definitely much louder than I had with the standard headphone port on my iPad.

I know that's still not an ideal solution, since you have to have an extra cable for power, but it's just an alternative option that I hadn't seen mentioned in this thread. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #142 of 144
The USB 3.0 Apple CCK that is linked in the previous post is definitely the way to go.  It still does not solve the power issue with some DACs, but it makes it easier to use others.  It worked better with my FIIO X3II than the original CCK; but I still found it useful to use the "Cute" USB mini USB hub to reduce the instance where I received the dreaded "this device draws too much power".

Then again, the new CCK still did not solve my connection issues with the Shaning M2.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #144 of 144
Hi,
Anyone got on idea what to use to replace the apple camera adapter ? My problem is that I used 3 months the apple camera adapter (Lightning to usb camera adapter), almost daily and the cable has broken. I would like to use something stronger which endures daily use. I got an iPhone SE and Dragonfly Black.
Thank's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back