Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jun 6, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,366 of 1,636
Sorry, but that is a common fallacy. There are plenty of very costly devices that are actually very poorly designed. If you make purchases simply based on price tag alone, you are in for a lifetime of wasted money, in the audio world. Your assumption is absolutely wrong.
How about this…remove cost and instead replace the cost with simply “a better amp”

I think people here should have been able to deduce exactly what I was saying.

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,367 of 1,636
Sorry, but that is a common fallacy. There are plenty of very costly devices that are actually very poorly designed. If you make purchases simply based on price tag alone, you are in for a lifetime of wasted money, in the audio world. Your assumption is absolutely wrong.

More money doesn't always mean better, but better does almost always mean more money. All these comments are assuming the amp isn't just trash. Ultimately the jot is a great deal for the price but by no means some pinical of performance

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,368 of 1,636
Sooo any rumors about a rerelease or LCD-R 2?

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,369 of 1,636
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,370 of 1,636
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,371 of 1,636
I don't think so, the MM 500 seems to be a regular planar, like most other LCDs
I believe all newer LCD lines will have the same parallel uniforce structure, AKA the trace goes from one side of the driver to the other, without zig-zagging down the diaphragm. The LCD-R was such a low impedance because it was difficult to accomplish this with such little material between terminals without being a prototype. But you should ask this question in the MM-500 thread, it would be great to have an Audeze engineer go into detail on the newer tech.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #1,372 of 1,636
More money doesn't always mean better, but better does almost always mean more money. All these comments are assuming the amp isn't just trash. Ultimately the jot is a great deal for the price but by no means some pinical of performance
Completely agree. Wasted a lot of money in this and related hobbies chasing giant killers only to learn the sad truth that better performance typically costs more. Having said this @Sonic Defender does make a good point. There does appear to be a magic number in all hobbies above which any performance gains are questionable at best, some products are just downright bad and manufacturers crank up their BS transmitters to drive high margin sales off people who should know better. The beauty in any hobby is finding that sweetspot ....

In my opinion, after trying with a few amps (owned or borrowed) and doing my best to optimize the performance of each, the Jot is actually quite a bit better than some might assume after reading this thread. Yes, some amps are better at bringing out the best in the LCD-R but others result in a signature that's just different i.e. the resulting change is sideways and simply trades off one set of strengths for another without a marked improvement across the board. Of course the number of amps I have tried is limited and perhaps I have simply not yet found The One.

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,373 of 1,636
Does anyone have the diagram or write up for how the cable for the LCD-R is wired up? So one could have a custom cable build should they desire. I felt like it was in this thread at one point...but I can't seem to find it.

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,374 of 1,636
Completely agree. Wasted a lot of money in this and related hobbies chasing giant killers only to learn the sad truth that better performance typically costs more. Having said this @Sonic Defender does make a good point. There does appear to be a magic number in all hobbies above which any performance gains are questionable at best, some products are just downright bad and manufacturers crank up their BS transmitters to drive high margin sales off people who should know better. The beauty in any hobby is finding that sweetspot ....

In my opinion, after trying with a few amps (owned or borrowed) and doing my best to optimize the performance of each, the Jot is actually quite a bit better than some might assume after reading this thread. Yes, some amps are better at bringing out the best in the LCD-R but others result in a signature that's just different i.e. the resulting change is sideways and simply trades off one set of strengths for another without a marked improvement across the board. Of course the number of amps I have tried is limited and perhaps I have simply not yet found The One.

Yah, I realy dont think the jot is bad at all. I mean, everything I think that truly bests it is 2k+. I just think thete is more to be had if one is willing to hunt for it

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,375 of 1,636
Does anyone have the diagram or write up for how the cable for the LCD-R is wired up? So one could have a custom cable build should they desire. I felt like it was in this thread at one point...but I can't seem to find it.
Similar to RAAL:
4-pin XLR
1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,376 of 1,636
Look through my posts in the beginning of this thread. I posted it quite early on.

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,378 of 1,636
Jun 7, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #1,379 of 1,636
Doesn't that seam odd to you? The two devices were created in a pretty close collaboration so what exactly doesn't the Jot-A have? What is your source that demonstrates the Jot-A lacks clean power? Is this just a gut instinct, or have you seen testing that demonstrates this?
Not odd at all. The Jotunheim design (in all variations) is limited in itself. If it weren't, it'd be their TOTL amplifier. And Audeze actually suggested to me that I try them on a speaker amp. Having tried them now on multiple amps, there is definitely an improvement with better amps.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #1,380 of 1,636
The a2p tur-08 and mass kobo 406 will rule LCD-R (IIRC ar least) if you can get hands on one of either :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back