Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Apr 11, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,351 of 1,636
What I'm getting is that his impedance comment seems to be related to output impedance which is not what he needs to be looking at here. That is an irrelevant metric in this case, which if he goes by will likely result in saying bye bye to his gear.
thanks for the advice. another wacky question but is it actually a bad idea to plug other phones into the jot r or is it just marketing fluff. and what exactly should i be looking for to know if its compatible with the r's other than asking the manufacturer?

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,352 of 1,636
thanks for the advice. another wacky question but is it actually a bad idea to plug other phones into the jot r or is it just marketing fluff. and what exactly should i be looking for to know if its compatible with the r's other than asking the manufacturer?
What's wrong with the stock amplifier? They won't repair your headphone if you happen to blow them up when using another amplifier. You also posted your serial number which isn't the brightest idea if you wanted to go that route..

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,353 of 1,636
What's wrong with the stock amplifier? They won't repair your headphone if you happen to blow them up when using another amplifier. You also posted your serial number which isn't the brightest idea if you wanted to go that route..
good point but considering the driver tore on me in the first 4 days of owning them i don't think i have plans to use them on anything else XD

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,355 of 1,636
To be frank, the stock amp just isn't super good.

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #1,356 of 1,636
does anyone know if they are stable off of the topping a90 it goes down to .1 ohm
There are a few factors to consider: operational capacity vs peak performance. You need to understand that large of a draw would cause oscillation, however, you will simply trigger the protection mechanism. Further you can always brief the component specs aside from power supply, voltage rails, etc. The A90 employs the TPA6120A2 for your reference.

Apr 12, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,357 of 1,636
@deafenears have you noticed any sound changes with the new pads?
I haven't, no. It's not much more than the leather-free pads compressing a little less. In fact, I read elsewhere where someone else found the leather-free pads compressed less than the leather pads that they received.

Also, it's not easy to swap between the two to A/B and point out the sound changes/differences.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #1,358 of 1,636
Over in the SR1a thread:

I got a question about whether the TI-1a will work with Audeze LCD-R.

It would, as LCD-R cable plugs in directly into the TI-1a, as it's our own cable pinout.
Schiit adopted the RAAL-requisite cable pinout after we sent those specifications to Schiit before developing the Jotunheim R, as of course-it had SR1a to drive, and Audeze adopted the Jot, along with it's RAAL-requisite pinout, because it's very smart and safe.
So, the LCD-R plugs in directly into any of our products where you can plug in our True-Ribbon headphones.

When you plug a 2Ohm LCD-R into the TI-1a, the amplifier will see:
~100 Ohms at Low-Z input to the TI, or
~200 Ohms at High-Z input to the TI.

Since those headphones are very sensitive and don't need much power, our PDT Triode OTL amp (that very much likes a 100-200 Ohms impedance), would drive them perfectly well with it's ~250mW.
Our PDA-1a will drive LCD-R directly, no TI-1a needed, but you need a gender-reversed XLR adapter or plug into the 6.3mm TRS.
Also, as I have pointed out already, they plug in directly into the HSA-1b and VM-1a, but I'm not sure if their noise floor would be low enough for LCD-R.

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,359 of 1,636
An update for the curious: I've got an Audio-gd R-27HE in for review, and I thought I'd try it with the LCD-R. I'm feeding it with a full DDC/HQPlayer set-up for best results, and holy crap is it a fantastic match. It reminds me of what I really liked about the RAAL headphones -- both excellent dynamics while revealing every little nuance. They seem to lose that sense of thickness that they have out of some amps as well, though I haven't tested to see if it isn't simply that they are rolled off in the low bass, but they shouldn't be given the design.

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,360 of 1,636
An update for the curious: I've got an Audio-gd R-27HE in for review, and I thought I'd try it with the LCD-R. I'm feeding it with a full DDC/HQPlayer set-up for best results, and holy crap is it a fantastic match. It reminds me of what I really liked about the RAAL headphones -- both excellent dynamics while revealing every little nuance. They seem to lose that sense of thickness that they have out of some amps as well, though I haven't tested to see if it isn't simply that they are rolled off in the low bass, but they shouldn't be given the design.
I found the LCD-R were really held back by the Jot-A. Having another amp that can feed them the clean power they require is a great thing.

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #1,361 of 1,636
I found the LCD-R were really held back by the Jot-A. Having another amp that can feed them the clean power they require is a great thing.
Doesn't that seam odd to you? The two devices were created in a pretty close collaboration so what exactly doesn't the Jot-A have? What is your source that demonstrates the Jot-A lacks clean power? Is this just a gut instinct, or have you seen testing that demonstrates this?

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,362 of 1,636
Doesn't that seam odd to you? The two devices were created in a pretty close collaboration so what exactly doesn't the Jot-A have? What is your source that demonstrates the Jot-A lacks clean power? Is this just a gut instinct, or have you seen testing that demonstrates this?
I don’t know anything about clean power…but I know that the Jot-A is just not a high end amp. I assume there is a difference when you plug the LCD-R into something that costs thousands vs. something that cost a few hundred.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,363 of 1,636
Jun 6, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #1,364 of 1,636
A
I don’t know anything about clean power…but I know that the Jot-A is just not a high end amp. I assume there is a difference when you plug the LCD-R into something that costs thousands vs. something that cost a few hundred.
I plugged it into a $500 ncore252 amp, and it sounded like a different headphone.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,365 of 1,636
Sorry, but that is a common fallacy. There are plenty of very costly devices that are actually very poorly designed. If you make purchases simply based on price tag alone, you are in for a lifetime of wasted money, in the audio world. Your assumption is absolutely wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back