Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #61 of 1,636
The R is done on current like my Dragon lvl 3 that produces 1 amp of current per channel. You can hear the power when only having 5 watts of power and sounding like a gigantic amp. Dragon created to power Susvara and 1266 while no type of noise on easy headphones due to its 8 gain switching stage. I'd have to find out what Jeff's amp can handle.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #62 of 1,636
I'm sure a non-limited version in the lighter magnesium chassis could potentially be the future of this model if things pan out well. I look forward to adding another Audeze to my lineup. Audeze has always treated me great! I feel lucky to have been part of another really neat 1 day moment in Audeze history. I thought to myself - if the RAAL setup could be improved tonally and more of a traditional headphone fit, I'd be in love.... Here we are.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #64 of 1,636
I'm wondering which amps instead of the Jot can drive them. I have the feeling my Niimbus US4 can give them easily the needed current.
So I would buy only the headphone without cheap Schiit amp.
The Niimbus will not even come close to driving these.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #66 of 1,636
The Niimbus will not even come close to driving these.
It seems like the big issue would be amp stability at 2 ohms. Most amps aren’t going to like driving an impedance that low, you’ll run into thermal shutdown issues.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #68 of 1,636
It seems like the big issue would be amp stability at 2 ohms. Most amps aren’t going to like driving an impedance that low, you’ll run into thermal shutdown issues.
That's because the crutch is applying nominal headamp output to these loads.

You'll need to supply a bigger transformer, heatsinking, capacitor supply, higher current output device and so on.

Or you design an ultra-high current amp that won't drive conventional dynamic loads efficiently.

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #72 of 1,636
Those days are long gone. Audeze is actually one of the more reliable brands these days. I owned at least 6 different Audeze pairs and never had a single issue.

On another note, I am late to the party as the 67 headphones are already sold out
The question is if Audeze really sticks to the promise and won't make more of these. In this case the price of the potential second-hand units will just go up. If Audeze decides to manufacture more with a more simple chassis, that will certainly annoy 67 people.
I feel certain their promise meant they will not be making any more of this specific configuration (i.e. fractal wood rings, etc). It would be impractical for a company like Audeze to put all the r&d into making a new headphone technology to ONLY produce 67 of them and then retire the tech. Audeze is a business, after all.

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #73 of 1,636
I feel certain their promise meant they will not be making any more of this specific configuration (i.e. fractal wood rings, etc). It would be impractical for a company like Audeze to put all the r&d into making a new headphone technology to ONLY produce 67 of them and then retire the tech. Audeze is a business, after all.
I wouldn't think so either but I asked earlier today when I called and was told that would be it.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #74 of 1,636
This announcement was enough to pull me out of head-fi retirement. My first thought was the same as chrisnyc75's, that they'd just change the wood or chassis material and mass produce these eventually. But if that's not the case (and I think the jury's probably still out), I wonder if Audeze just wanted to dabble in this tech but by and large wants to stick to their core technology product roadmap. Either way, I'm interested to hear what these sound like.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #75 of 1,636
Sigh.

Ok. I put an order in.

I'll be driving these with my uberamp for RAAL. Maybe get the set to Kevin Gilmore as well if he hasn't already procured something.
Might be too much gain for these headphones...but you will be very happy with what you hear! I love them wholeheartedly! My review should be out in the next day or so...congratulations man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back