Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #91 of 1,636
I trust Currawong
LoL. Anyway, what he said.

"You're taking as Gospel the word of somebody who cannot say anything bad about sponsor's premium products. I have nothing against the guy, I like his reviews but he literally will not make a video saying "This Audeze headphone has wonky tuning and a big hole in the upper mids, buyer beware""

I do expect more reviews (read: advertisements) to come out soon. The lambs are ready for slaughter.

But regardless, this product is intriguing, considering the design. I look forward to trusted ears to give me impressions later on. I do wish Audeze success. At least their products don't feel like cheap craps and use real wood and quality parts.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #93 of 1,636
Well 67 units, already sold out, and many of the curated reviews have not even come out yet. This is almost like selling out the entire stock of a new product before many of the commercials and advertisements for the product come out...

Almost like a sneak preview masquerading as the main event... or a main event played like a sneak preview?

Are we to believe that Audeze and Schiit Audio got together to launch a new product, obviously requiring a lot of R & D, with the aim of producing only 67 copies, as if they wanted to create a rare and instant collector's item for a few lucky Audiophiles' collection of museum-like "trophies"?

Are we to believe that this almost miraculous product's release is timed for a pandemic era in which most boutique/hobbyists industries are facing big challenges, and can hardly afford the luxury of dabbling in the production of "white elephant" collector's item pieces?

I have no immediate answers to all these questions, except to speculate that this story is most likely not over yet... Except to express a strong suspicion that the saga of the LCD-R does not end with these 67 units... Still, the exact nature of the next move of Audeze and Schiit Audio on this front is hard to predict, even though all the readable "tea-leaves" point to a likely follow-up development... So, I shall simply say "watch this space" and be done with it for now...

More-to-come.webp

FYI: This is still just my own speculation, and it is just pure speculation.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #94 of 1,636
I do expect more reviews (read: advertisements) to come out soon. The lambs are ready for slaughter.
I Think your right. Just saw a ‘review’ from headphoneguru. I like audeze but I have never ever understood their way of communicating to their customers. If it was me I would have done it the other way around. First, send the lcd-r to selected reviewers and ask for their honest opinion. Then release a press release saying something like; that on this day and this time we will release only 67 pairs of headphones featuring a new ribbon based technology by audeze. The release is limited to only 67 pairs, the design, price and the collaboration and inclusion of a schitt amp is limited to this release only. BUT we would like to make this new ribbon-based technology a permanent part of the audeze family so if there’s demand and interest for it we would look into it. So please tell us what you think.

Moreover, the reviews will be released two hours before the release and posted in this thread.

that is how I would do it. Total transparency and done in a dialogical manner with their fan base/customers

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #95 of 1,636
I feel certain their promise meant they will not be making any more of this specific configuration (i.e. fractal wood rings, etc). It would be impractical for a company like Audeze to put all the r&d into making a new headphone technology to ONLY produce 67 of them and then retire the tech. Audeze is a business, after all.
Exactly. Its like Grado testing out the new 38 ohm drivers with the Hemp, before releasing the new X series

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #96 of 1,636
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #97 of 1,636
I'm happy with Audeze breaking new grounds as of late. I've always been a fan, especially after they improved reliability. If this thing does sound good, we can expect more things to come from Audeze. Just gotta be patient :)

And the pricing is not too crazy, considering where things are at this moment. Jot A would be around $700. This is LCD-X pricing territory.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #98 of 1,636
I Think your right. Just saw a ‘review’ from headphoneguru. I like audeze but I have never ever understood their way of communicating to their customers. If it was me I would have done it the other way around. First, send the lcd-r to selected reviewers and ask for their honest opinion. Then release a press release saying something like; that on this day and this time we will release only 67 pairs of headphones featuring a new ribbon based technology by audeze. The release is limited to only 67 pairs, the design, price and the collaboration and inclusion of a schitt amp is limited to this release only. BUT we would like to make this new ribbon-based technology a permanent part of the audeze family so if there’s demand and interest for it we would look into it. So please tell us what you think.

Moreover, the reviews will be released two hours before the release and posted in this thread.

that is how I would do it. Total transparency and done in a dialogical manner with their fan base/customers

I just read the headphoneguru review for the LCD-R and then read an older review for the LCD4-Z. I could have just interchanged the text....

Have your cake and eat it too! Spectacular! Like real life! Electrostat like transparency! Thank you Audeze for allowing us to buy this masterpiece of audio engineering!

LOL. Who falls for this stuff anymore?

Back in 2010 I was new to Headfi and I downloaded their 2010 Buyer's Guide. I knew very little about the headphone world at that time ( I basically knew about Beats, Sennheiser and Grado) but as soon as I saw a ''Diesel'' branded headphone in the guide I was like wait a minute! This isn't some carefully curated list of only top tier products for the money from wise headphone nerds. This is a big list of basically every major headphone on sale designed to please the sponsors and move product :D

Everytime I watch a good YouTube reviewer objectively explain the pros and cons of a product i.e a real review ( Eg savagegeese for Cars and Marques Brownlee for Tech) I feel like crying because our headphone world is 99% advertisers and product pushers pretending to be reviewers.

Since 2010 I've seen the hype machine hype utterly mediocre headphones (IMHO) like the Audioquest Nighthawk, Mrspeakers Ether and Ether Flow etc etc etc

Always the same story. Product launch followed by gushing reviews from the usual audio gurus, philes, etc.

Zero disadvantages or faults mentioned or if they dare to mention them they are watered down to the extreme.

Hope the LCD-R turns out to be THE GREATEST HEADPHONE EVER with Electrostat like treble and the best of planar bass; hopefully the mids aren't missing :wink:

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #99 of 1,636
I wish someone like Resolve from the Headphone Show would get their hands on these. He's one of the only online reviewers that feel like I consistently learn something from.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #100 of 1,636
I just read the headphoneguru review for the LCD-R and then read an older review for the LCD4-Z. I could have just interchanged the text....

Have your cake and eat it too! Spectacular! Like real life! Electrostat like transparency! Thank you Audeze for allowing us to buy this masterpiece of audio engineering!

LOL. Who falls for this stuff anymore?

Back in 2010 I was new to Headfi and I downloaded their 2010 Buyer's Guide. I knew very little about the headphone world at that time ( I basically knew about Beats, Sennheiser and Grado) but as soon as I saw a ''Diesel'' branded headphone in the guide I was like wait a minute! This isn't some carefully curated list of only top tier products for the money from wise headphone nerds. This is a big list of basically every major headphone on sale designed to please the sponsors and move product :D

Everytime I watch a good YouTube reviewer objectively explain the pros and cons of a product i.e a real review ( Eg savagegeese for Cars and Marques Brownlee for Tech) I feel like crying because our headphone world is 99% advertisers and product pushers pretending to be reviewers.

Since 2010 I've seen the hype machine hype utterly mediocre headphones (IMHO) like the Audioquest Nighthawk, Mrspeakers Ether and Ether Flow etc etc etc

Always the same story. Product launch followed by gushing reviews from the usual audio gurus, philes, etc.

Zero disadvantages or faults mentioned or if they dare to mention them they are watered down to the extreme.

Hope the LCD-R turns out to be THE GREATEST HEADPHONE EVER with Electrostat like treble and the best of planar bass; hopefully the mids aren't missing :wink:
Have you heard them? I stand by my review and absolutely am in love with what I experienced. I suggest you give them a try. I do think they resolve right there with the very best headphones around....like top 5ish good (right there with the best e-stats too...which I've also owned through the years). Amos (Currawong) seemed to pretty much line up with my assessment too. Don't let the price tag fool you...these headphones bring the goods!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #101 of 1,636
Have you heard them? I stand by my review and absolutely am in love with what I experienced. I suggest you give them a try. I do think they resolve right there with the very best headphones around....like top 5ish good (right there with the best e-stats too...which I've also owned through the years). Amos (Currawong) seemed to pretty much line up with my assessment too. But please go right ahead and comment with ABSOLUTELY ZERO experience yourself. Don't let the price tag fool you...these headphones bring the goods!

My criticism was not aimed at the headphone itself. It was aimed at the style of review which is full of gushing praise for the headphones and the manufacturer.

You have written plenty of reviews and heard pretty much every expensive headphone.

Can you please point me/link towards a review where you come to a negative conclusion about a headphone above the $2000 price point? Where you say that the headphone is not worth the money based on sound or build quality etc?

If you only do positive review filled with praise what's the point? Every review of every high priced product will read like a hymn of praise for the product and the manufacturer. I don't see how this adds any value to prospective customers?

Balanced criticism does not mean trashing a manufacturer. It is critical feedback which can lead to improved products.

As an example have you read Tyll's review of the LCD-4 from 2016? He praised many aspects of the headphone but pointed out that it was overly attenuated in the 4khz to 8khz region and then too bright after that in the upper treble. Now that is useful information and helps potential buyers.

Singing praised of every high priced product only serves the sponsors and does a disservice to everybody who spends their hard earned money on these very expensive products. High prices should equal high standards.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #102 of 1,636
My criticism was not aimed at the headphone itself. It was aimed at the style of review which is full of gushing praise for the headphones and the manufacturer.

You have written plenty of reviews and heard pretty much every expensive headphone.

Can you please point me/link towards a review where you come to a negative conclusion about a headphone above the $2000 price point? Where you say that the headphone is not worth the money based on sound or build quality etc?

If you only do positive review filled with praise what's the point? Every review of every high priced product will read like a hymn of praise for the product and the manufacturer. I don't see how this adds any value to prospective customers?

Balanced criticism does not mean trashing a manufacturer. It is critical feedback which can lead to improved products.

As an example have you read Tyll's review of the LCD-4 from 2016? He praised many aspects of the headphone but pointed out that it was overly attenuated in the 4khz to 8khz region and then too bright after that in the upper treble. Now that is useful information and helps potential buyers.

Singing praised of every high priced product only serves the sponsors and does a disservice to everybody who spends their hard earned money on these very expensive products. High prices should equal high standards.
Headphones, amps that I don't like that cost in excess of $2,000: D8000 Pro, V281 to name 2 right off the top of my head. I would definitely avoid them....but again, many like them, so that's the subjective nature of this hobby. I have made such comments on Head-Fi about these 2 headphones many times and fans of those headphones didn't seem to take it too well. I also posted how I didn't like the original version of the Abyss AB1266. So your point? I don't review gear that I don't like....life is too short to put in that amount of effort (and the number of hours involved is usually very high) for something that doesn't sound good.

As well, sound can be so very personal, so one person's tour de force can be someone else's disappointment. Is this that hard to comprehend? I've owned the SR009/SR007 and the LCD-R's treble quickness and detail extraction is right there with those headphones and IMO exceeds the LCD4/4z in this regard. Plus as an added bonus, you get the Audeze bass response (which stats can never reproduce)....throw in an amplifier to drive them, the value proposition for these headphones is very high. I strongly suggest with things opening up, you get to a local meet and give them a try. Hearing is believing....

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #103 of 1,636

I don’t doubt headphoneguru that these headphones sound great. As I mentioned earlier. The problem is audezes way of doing their communication. There’s no transparency! Which is the issue here and coursing everyone to question these ‘reviews’ - are they telling the truth or are they merely payed ‘influencers’ and part of a marketing scheme.

audeze has blown it. If these are the best headphones ever. It is arrogant and from a marketing perspective dumb to limit the release to only 67 pairs. Are they gonna make them a permanent part of their lineup but change the design and raise the price - people would be angry about the price increase. Lower it, and 67 people would be pissed. No way to win here for audeze, I think.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #104 of 1,636
Managed to snag one of these!

Don't know where some of the hate for reviewers is coming from. I seriously doubt any reviewers are making a ton of money just to say good things about high end headphones. If you watch enough of Currawong and the others, you get a sense for their general likes and dislikes and most of them are pretty consistent.

Currawong, for instance, makes a big deal about minute differences in DACs and amps. However, he does make note that these are TINY differences. Amos doesn't mention this in EVERY video because it would be tiresome. He knows his audience and doesn't bother reiterating that people are chasing that last 1-5% of performance for >10x the price. I don't think he has any issue in being critical of products either. He didn't seem particularly impressed with HD800 and HD800s, for example.

Also, companies don't make much money off of flagship products... or even enthusiast products. Manufacturing bespoke gear is incredibly expensive. That's why prices are so high. If brands like Audeze, Focal, and Dan Clark were selling in numbers comparable to airpods, prices would come down.

Regardless, I enjoy listening on my airpods pro. Should I end my audio journey there? Of course not.

Now for something actually related to this thread. While I think it would behoove Audeze to do another run of these or use the driver tech in another headphone, I think it might be difficult to offer as a stock product because it requires a special amplifier that can only be used with one headphone. Obviously, it seems that speaker amps may work but Audeze can't provide support for that. Unless ultra-low impedance headphones become a new class of headphones that are supported industry wide, I think this will remain a super niche product in what is already a niche industry.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #105 of 1,636
Headphones, amps that I don't like that cost in excess of $2,000: D8000 Pro, V281 to name 2 right off the top of my head. I have made such comments on Head-Fi about these 2 headphones many times and fans of those headphones didn't seem to take it too well. I also posted how I didn't like the original version of the Abyss AB1266. So your point? I don't review gear that I don't like....life is too short to put in that amount of effort (and the number of hours involved is usually very high) for something that doesn't sound good.
I don't review gear that I don't like

Fair enough, now I understand why nearly every headphone review of yours is filled to the brim with positive superlatives.

I don't find this approach helpful but I guess some others might.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back